AF: Renegade - AN: Renegade: more credible than Cherokee, Patriot? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renegade AN: Renegade: more credible than Cherokee, Patriot?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Allpar News System, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Allpar News System

Allpar News System Automated System

[​IMG]
    The Jeep Renegade, though based on a Fiat platform and built in Italy, may well be more credible off-road than Jeep Cherokee or Patriot, according to specifications released by the company today. In addition to having better approach, departure, and breakover angles than the “Trail Rated” versions of Patriot, Compass, and Cherokee, the Renegade has the same ground clearance as Cherokee Trailhawk and is close to Patriot and Compass. Being considerably smaller on the outside (though fairly close in size, inside, to the current Patriot), the Renegade should, all else being equal, find easier or better paths on the trail, and can pass between obstacles more readily. There is more to off-road readiness than these measures indicate; for example, while the old XJ series Jeep Cherokees did not have, on paper, better ground clearance, the design of the XJ’s suspension meant that one had similar ground clearance no matter..

View the original, full post

2. assadour

Supporter

Anyone know what the curb weight(s) are for the Renegade? Thanks.

3. Mekanic

Mekanic New Member

I'm not against This import being sold here in U.S. I just think it doesn't deserve the Jeep Or Renegade name.
    It has too many import features to be a Jeep I think.

4. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

What are these "import features?"

5. browens1534

browens1534 Well-Known Member

Post and run.

6. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

No, he is a new member, a former CAB member.

7. Mekanic

Mekanic New Member

I see it is available with

1 front wheel drive unless 4WD engaged (engine points east and west)
    2 Independent front suspension (CV joint nightmare)
    3 electric 4WD controls (search N-23)
    4 Independent rear suspension (CV joint nightmare X2)
    5 9 speed trans (rebuild cost in 8 years? )
    6 1.4L turbo engine (Low torque at low RPM like 1500)

8. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Those are hardly "import features" - all of them have been in place on domestic vehicles as well.

valiant67 likes this.
  9. crmarczak

crmarczak Active Member

Whats the price difference between a standard 2014 Patriot [if those Patriot numbers are a standard pat] versus the 2015 Renegade TH?

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I think we are still waiting for Renegade pricing to be announced.

11. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Would any dealer be so bold as to put similarly-equipped KL Cherokee, Renegade, and Patriot side-by-side in a showroom?

12. crmarczak

crmarczak Active Member

Any videos yet of a Renegade doing some 'offroading' All I can find on youtube is the same video with a billion different songs lol

13. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

I would think Jeep will come out with some the closer we get to US launch, just like they did with KL.

14. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

I do not recall, EVER seeing a Patriot in a showroom.
    There was one Patriot, outside in the featured vehicle "circle", because it had a Katzkin like aftermarket interior, of all leather. The interior was an $8,000 extra, I bought for my daughter, ...for $15,900. ;)

RonGD, PCRMike and edgecrusher like this.
  15. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing a Patriot in a showroom since 2009 and the ones I saw before that were mostly trail-rated and had leather seats. The sticker prices were optioned-up to over $31k. I've seen the same with a 4cyl KL Trailhawk at close to $35k this year.

This year there was one difference --- it appears that somebody bought the 4cyl KL Trailhawk so they don't have to sell it cheap at the end of the model year.

16. tomtex

tomtex Member

You should go to youtube and look at panda videos of the 012 and 013 model year, I think the renegade is just a bigger pandacross.

MoparNorm likes this.
  17. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Absolutely not.
    Jeep Engineers have made many improvements.

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Thank you, Norm.

I might add that the 1.4 engine is not available with the Trail Rated version, and the CV joints, etc., are all on Patriot, too.

19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

For the trail rated version it would be nice if they could use only the diesel version to more "agressive" toward crawl ratio, but since, for now, there will no diesel in NAFTA market we have to wait for future versions.

Even for the diesel engine it is a better option the 150 CV (148 HP) 380 Nm (280 lb ft) than the 170 CV (167 HP) 350 Nm (258 lb ft) that was choosen, but usually for marketing purposes more power is preferrred even if for a Jeep torque (and its curve shape) should be more important element to look at.
    To note that 380 and 350 Nm are values due to the torque limits of the manual and TCT transmissions gearboxes used.
    I don't know how much could be increased the torque for the 2.0 i4 diesel engine when coupled with the 9HP gearbox (maximum torque for diesel engine, at least for ZF version, should be, if I remember well, 450 Nm = 332 lb ft).

Some more comment about Renegade from a Chrysler's manager.
    " Will The 2015 Jeep Renegade Be Any Good Off-Road?"
    Phil Jansen answers to some questions about Jeep Renegade
    http://indefinitelyw...road-1580389048

20. assadour

Supporter

There seems to have been somewhat different results with the nine-speed with the 200 and with the Cherokee. Anyone care to speculate how the nine-speed with the four will be in the Renegade?