AF: Renegade - AN: Renegade: more credible than Cherokee, Patriot? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renegade AN: Renegade: more credible than Cherokee, Patriot?

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by Allpar News System, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

The three cars have totally different setups.

The nine speed in the 200 has, as far as I know, only been tested with front wheel drive.
    With Cherokee, it has an oddball dog-clutch-dependent PTU/awd system.
    With Renegade, it has a conventional-clutch PTU/AWD system.

2. Trailmaster

Trailmaster Move Over Plymouth Aproaching Rapidly

Mayhap I'll get tarred and feathered for this, but I watched a YouTube video of the Renegade in action on some dirt roads smoother than my driveway. My first thought was that with the exception of the actual uprights in the grille and the logos, this looks more like a descendant of the International Scout II than any Jeep.

Stratuscaster and TheMan like this.
  3. Jeepmeister

Jeepmeister New Member

The 200 AWD comes only with the V6, so yes the 4 cylinder/9 speed combo wasn't tested (presumably) in the 200 with AWD.

4. WXman

WXman Active Member

I saw pics of the front suspension and it appeared to have less than 1/2" clearance between the top inside edge of the tire tread and the front strut assembly. So, my guess is that NO increase in tire size above factory 28" will be possible. When you combine that with it's horrible breakover angle and the fact that it has absolutely no flex whatsover... this is clearly not going to be an offroad oriented model.

But...having said that...your true offroad enthusiast isn't going to buy this anyway. So I'm starting to see the point that people are making when they say who cares? This thing will be a great urban vehicle with decent fuel economy, will be able to tackle any weather conditions, and will handle light trailwork to the campsite. Most people fit that niche.

The SelecTerrain system on the Renegade is there to make the vehicle "feel" like a Jeep, in my opinion.

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

That "horrible" breakover angle easily beats the Compass Trail Rated which is not unimpressive compared to, well, what else is in its class?

6. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

It would be my understanding that you don't *want* flex in an off-road vehicle. Unless you're referring to articulation, a completely different thing.

7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The breakover angle is one of the values You should not use against Jeep Renegade Trailhawk since the value is 25.7° (the standard 4x4 is 24°).
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, if I am right, has a breakover angle of 25.8° (in the past versions was lower).
    Wrangler Unlimited should be 20.8° or 21 ° (I don't remember), while, if I remember well XJ Cherokee was around 21°.

8. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Gotta admit it.....I never made THAT connection...ROFLMAO! THAT made my night!

#28 TheMan, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    MoparNorm and Stratuscaster like this.
  9. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Just go easy on that "Best in Class" spin from Jeep. If you're the smartest kid in class, you may be in the wrong classroom....

Denzien and PCRMike like this.
  10. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

That has to be the best quote I have read all year...... That was a good one Norm....

PCRMike, JKU12 and MoparNorm like this.