Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Uconnect #1 new, but later?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mike V., Aug 9, 2017.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Uconnect #1 new, but later?

FCA’s Uconnect infotainment system has been universally acclaimed, winning award after award for usability. Critics and car owners tend to find it to be the most intuitive, easy-to-use system on the market.

[​IMG]

Still, with all its redundant controls, connectivity to mobile devices, and interface advantages, there are some issues that don’t show up until owners have had their cars for a while.

See Allpar News Article...

Uconnect #1 new, but later? (at https://www.allpar.com/news/2017/08/uconnect-1-new-but-later-38235 )

UN4GTBL likes this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I'm trying to think of something, but honestly I've not really had any issues or complaints with the Uconnect 8.4 AN in my Charger. If anything, I wouldn't mind having more customizable themes and colors to choose from but that's a small thing that doesn't really bother me. It really is a great system.

3. mentalicca

Level III Supporter

Hey @Mike V. can you go into detail regarding the rebooting issue you were talking about?

4. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Oh, also @Mike V. do you know if the update that adds the drag and drop menu bar to the 2015 cars is available on the Uconnect website or if it is exclusively over the air? I've been waiting a while to get it and I've grown impatient.

5. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

My understanding is that it does.

Mike

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I wish there was a better way to re-sync the maps when something goes wrong. It happened several times on my Durango R/T and I had to stop the vehicle and go through an obscure process to rest the unit. Not fun as it always happened on longer trips away from home.

UN4GTBL, Dave Z and Mike V. like this.
  7. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

When the system hiccups, it will reboot you are driving along and the screen goes blank.

This was a problem on @Dave Z‘s CHrysler 300

Mike

8. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Yes sir, I understand.

Mike

9. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I was considering a write up of the UConnect smart phone app next.

Any thoughts?

Mike

10. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I think the app is useless, it takes way too long to start or unlock the car and half the time it didn't even work for me. I deleted it after about a week.

11. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

If you are within sight of the car, using the app is worthless. For me, I sometimes park nearly a half mile away from my office. I can use the app to start the car as I close my office door and the car is already cooling off by the time I get to it.

At the least they are honest about the 90 seconds for a request to actually occur.

Mike

12. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It badly needs an update with more functionality though. If there was the ability to adjust your temperature, turn heated/cooled seats and steering wheel on, etc it would be more useful. Adding Apple Watch functionality would also be great since several other manufacturers have jumped on board with that.

ramajama likes this.
  13. MarineViper

MarineViper Moderator

I had very little issues in my 14 dart, a few times the navigation would blank out and I was driving in the middle of an ocean.

But my biggest gripe was plugging my iPhone into the USB, before the Uconnect update I could switch back to Bluetooth to listen to music. My phone has over 5300 songs and it would never fully load the library let alone let it random play a song. I also wished CarPlay would of been an option then and talk to text for iPhone.

Doesn't matter to me now, I have a 14 jk with a normal radio with Bluetooth and uconnect phone.

14. svevar

Level 2 Supporter

Would be nice if the article also addressed the ongoing problems with Via Mobile functionality in the Uconnect Access mobile app. Apparently FCA removed/disabled Via Mobile earlier this year from accounts that hadn't yet activated it. Those that had activated it were grandfathered in. But Via Mobile continues to behave erratically following a Uconnect Access update in April that clearly broke something.

There are dozens of near-identical complaints on the Google Play store (and also, I assume, on Apple's equivalent) about the Via Mobile breakdown in April. The official FCA rep responds, encouraging users to contact tech support, but I've found them useless after literally hours on the phone across multiple tickets and agents:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrysler.UconnectAccess&hl=en

FCA really needs to find a way to retrofit CarPlay/Android Auto to past versions of Uconnect. Frankly, it's ridiculous that my 2016 Chrysler 300, sold with the promise of internet radio integration, was essentially dropped from manufacturer support and upgrades in April 2017. It's such a shame because Uconnect otherwise works well.

15. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I wouldn’t mind the ability to operate the windows either.

Mike

UN4GTBL likes this.
  16. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

As of right now, FCA has zero intention to retrofit Apple CarPlay. I was not impressed with the reasons given either.

Mike

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Yep, especially since they removed that function from the key fob. Would be great on 100+ degree days.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Yeah it was always a bit buggy in the key fob, but still nice.

Mike

UN4GTBL and DarkSky like this.
  19. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Yeah, I was amazed at how out of date the maps are on them, even on a brand new vehicle. My only other gripe with them is the slow implementation of Android Auto/Apple CarPlaym which has been something that has stopped me from buying a vehicle. Otherwise, it's a great system.

They don't even offer the app in Canada, so that's a bummer for me (us)

Powdered Toast Man likes this.
  20. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

When our key fobs work, I use that feature regularly on our van.