Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Uconnect #1 new, but later?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mike V., Aug 9, 2017.

1. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I doubt there's any specific hardware problem preventing CarPlay from running on some of the previous Uconnect systems. Chevy has it on all of their MyLink systems now, including the terribly slow base system in most of their vehicles. At this point though, it's beating a dead horse.

2. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Overall, I really like the Uconnect in my 2015 Charger. A small complaint is I would like better configuration preferences for the vented seats. When I start the car and the temp is above some threshold, driver's vented seat will automatically come on (nice), but only at low setting. I'd like to be able to configure it to come on at high setting. Also, I'd like the car to detect a passenger and automatically turn on passenger vented seat above that temperature threshold. Other than that, sometimes I'd like a debug screen for Bluetooth connectivity. It would be nice to be able to see handshake events to know if the problem is with the head unit or with the cell phone. Sometimes when I'm operating hands-free, I lose microphone, and have to press the transfer to phone, then transfer back, to get it back. Since my phone is an 8 year old flip phone, I'm pretty sure it's the phone's fault, but it would be nice to know for sure.

UN4GTBL and DarkSky like this.
  3. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

On my Jeep, on previous version of the uConnect software (whatever came with the Jeep when I bought it) the settings menu had a LOT more options for auto-start conveniences. Those were removed for the current version.
    I imagine it'd be easy to program in more options (Ex: Auto-start heated seats at (TEMP, adjustable from 69F to 25F), Hi Lo Off for driver, Hi Lo Off for passenger; Auto-start cooled seats at (TEMP, adjustable from 70F to 100F, Hi Lo Off for driver, Hi Lo Off for passenger) - but since they removed the individual settings for heated and cooled, and combined into one, I don't see them doing that.

One of these days I'll see how easy or hard it is to reverse engineer the code and just set it up to do what I want. Or pay the whatever for one of the third-party uConnect unlocks out there.

UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  4. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

That really is fortunate, I use Apple Carplay everyday and LOVE it! I hardly use anything else on the infotainment system. I was really thinking about trading our T&C for a Pacifica, but lack of Carplay was one of the reasons I held off. Its that good!

I went as far as looking into a replacement Radio Deck($300-400) for the T&C with Carplay, however none the manufactures could really tell me how the interface would work with my Built in Bluray player.

UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

2018 Pacifica gets Apple CarPlay.

Mike

saltydog and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

The $200 map update still irks me. Anyone care to point me in the right direction for this map update hack the article speaks of? I've been pouring through Google without any specifics yet.

My 2011 8.4n system barely plays music from my iPhone 6. Basically you have one option: shuffle all songs. The unit goes in and out of sync mode (basically greys out all browse and playlist options) then looks like it's done syncing, and then half a song later goes back into sync. Music plays, but you only have control of previous or next song.

7. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Look at the various Charger forums. For various reasons, we should not publicly post the link here.

Mike

8. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I really like the Uconnect app. The best part of it for me is the Send n Go feature. But after the trial ran out, I just let it go. I did talk them into giving me an extra 3 months for free. :) I'd never pay for the service. Its handy and all, but Ive lived without it all these years and I can continue to do so if its not free.
    I definitely agree, it needs a lot more functionality.
    Our Land Rover InControl app has many of the extra premium features that Uconnect does not offer but...I still wont pay for it. However, Land Rover provided the service as part of our purchase for 4 years. The vehicle will be traded off long before the service expires. Even if it did expire while we owned the vehicle, I still wouldnt pay for the service. We spend enough money on new vehicles, this app service should be provided at no charge IMO.

dodgeatheart and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I do believe the service is overpriced for what you get. It will be very hard for me to justify keeping it after the free period on my Charger SRT.

Mike

ramajama likes this.
  10. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

The only complaint i had about my 8.4N was that the nav was already out-dated by the time it left the dealership. (2010/11 maps for a 2013 vehicle). Lots of "off-roading" at 70mph in my Dart according to that thing. lol .. that and Sirius/XM seemed to be far more limited than the advertised 150 channels. You could dial an advertised channel and not receive it, etc; but that could've just been the 'demo' / trial that came with the purchase (which IMO, is lame. If you're going to demo' a service, give people full access so they know what they're missing if they don't continue. xD )

somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Yes, the maps complaint is heavily discussed in the article

Mike

12. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I was with a salesperson earlier this year and we called Uconnect help from inside a Power Wagon. My question was concerning the ability to retrofit Car Play to older 8.4 systems. They said it was going to be available for retrofit for certain versions. I cant recall the version number he told us but the 17 Power Wagon had that version, so I had planned on adding it if I got a 17. Since my purchase timeframe has been pushed to the fall, I'll just end up with an 18 with the most current Uconnect which will include Car Play. Its just strange that I got conflicting info and had not heard differently until now.

13. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

+1
    Just to clarify. I think it should be, at the very least, provided for free to owners that buy the vehicle new. Even providing it for a much longer period of time, like Land Rover did, is adequate IMO.
    Providing it for free to buyers in the used market is another story.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

I'll also add that my Uconnect is WAY better in function and usability than the InControl system in our LR. The LR system is slicker looking and has some more up to date features but its finicky and still kinda slow and is missing some great features (travel link) and robust connectivity to name a few. Its a bit of a give and take. Ive sampled their new Incotrol Pro and even though its even slicker and improved....the old faithful Uconnect is just hard to beat because its always been so solid for me. Knock wood. I hope they continue to improve Uconnect and that it doesnt go backwards or try to get too cute for its own good..

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

They gave you lip service.

Mike

16. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Every time I've been assured by a salesperson that a feature can be "added later" it was a lie. I've got friends who were also promised features could be added after the sale and subsequently the salesperson stopped returning their calls. Unless it is an add on Mopar catalog accessory then no it cannot be done.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  17. serpens

serpens Active Member

JLR's infotainment is terrible; I have InControl Pro in my RR Sport and it frustrates me constantly. I'm hoping the new system on the Range Rover Velar is a sign of good things to come.

18. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Yeah well I expect lip service from salespeople to an extent, I am salesperson and I can tell LOL!...I ignore it when given to me. This was strange because we sat in a truck, hit the Uconnect assist button and got to a Uconnect support supervisor and they guy told us without missing a beat, yes it will be available for upgrade to 8.4 models (something) and newer. I wish I could recall what "model" he said....
    I dont know why Uconnect support would give me lip service? Well whatever, it wont apply to me anyway. :)

#38 ramajama, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  19. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Yeah I dont get into that anyway. If its not already included in the vehicle Im looking at, I assume something can not be added....unless I know better from someone I know or someone on a forum has done it. I research big time before I buy. In the case of adding Apple Car Play later on, I wasnt finding anything on it so I asked... the salesman flat told me...I dont know, but lets see if we can find out....so we called Uconnect support. They gave me that answer.

One of my big questions about the PW was whether or not I could add an extra alternator to get the dual alt set up. They rarely make it to lots with that option. Many PW guys had asked that question and many were told "SURE YA CAN!" by their salesmen. Come to find out its a real PITA and it can cause other issues. I knew this going in but I wanted to see what the salesman I am dealing with would say about it. Refreshingly, he said..."dont try to add it later, Ive seen way too many problems. If you want dual alts then special order it that way. All the wiring will be correct and there will be no issues"

UN4GTBL likes this.
  20. ramajama

ramajama Active Member

Yeah youre not alone. I hear about that on the forum a lot. Maybe we're lucky or not that picky but my wife and I just have not had any real problems with it (knock wood) It does what I need it to do and the Nav is just fine IMO. I like the looks too, Its just a bit slow/quirky and the connection is not as robust as Uconnect. Incotrol apps are also a flop. They were a huge letdown. The new infotainment in the JLR products have definitely been a swing and a miss.
    I messed around a bit with the InControl touch pro in the new big Discovery. I thought it was OK during my limited time with it. I did not get to connect my phone to it and test out the connection or media.
    FWIW, you might know, the same dual screen set up that the Velar has is coming to the RRS in 2018. Should update the RRS nicely.