AF: AN: Viper Near End of Life? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Viper Near End of Life?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Allpar News System

Allpar News System Automated System

According to Auto Forecast Solutions, Viper production will end in August 2017, said John McElroy in today’s AutoLine report (thanks, merl). The problem, according to Mr. McElroy, is slow sales, despite the “one of one” program and a $15,000 price cut, coupled with not wanting to spend the cash to develop a next-generation Viper.

The Viper does not seem to still be getting enough press and enthusiast attention needed to justify further investment, either, despite a new ACR version. There had been rumors of upgrades for 2016-17, but these may not have panned out.

Analysts have been wrong before — too often to mention — and it’s possible that something else is in the works. Even if Conner Avenue is abandoned, there are numerous other facilities that could be set up for limited production of the Viper — and the whole thing could be outsourced to a specialty automaker, as well. (...) →

Viper Near End of Life? is from Allpar News.

Continue reading...

2. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Viper has had a good run, but this generation has been stumbling from the get go. The lapse in production between generations didn't help either. Besides, do you think the Italians ever took the Viper seriously? I'm sure they're more than happy to pull the plug. I'm sure they just consider it a relic from the now dead Chrysler.

3. md80891

md80891 Active Member

It needed morph into the ME412 but that has to be an Alfa Romeo or Maserati even though we had gone the engineering more than a decade ago.

But how long has the ACR been out for media review? Two weeks?

jerseyjoe likes this.
  4. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

The ACR has been getting rave reviews so far. I think its a little early to lay it to rest just yet.

jken02 and MPE426HEMI like this.
  5. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

They need to figure out how to sell a couple thousand per year like they used to. A few hundred doesn't cut it.

6. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

I have said too many times to mention, the Viper needs to go upscale, way upscale. How do you explain McLaren selling out of cars costing 3 times that of a Viper? The Viper's performance is not impressive, the quality of the car is not impressive, it needs to be a 100% better than it is. Stop trying so hard to fight out of your weight class, build an elite car and they couldn't make enough. Buyers of these types of cars want a hand crafted elite car like a Ferrari, or McLaren. Even though the Viper is hand built, it doesn't look like it nor does it feel like it. When your hand built car has features that are found on a Dodge Dart, you have failed. The Viper is not impressive at all, JMO. I love the Viper, but I have called this car the most underachieving car of all time. What a damn waste, a company that refused to evolve the Viper. Evolve the Viper into a 250K+ elite supercar. It has to evolve and it hasn't, not in my opinion.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

8. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Something to consider here: the Hellcat 'litter' are now the top dogs in Mopar where prestige is concerned and, possibly across the board in FCA whereas the Viper seems to becoming the 'red headed step child' as of late in both marketing and performance.

9. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

Did we not read in the bankruptcy filings that two vehicles were profitable for Chrysler - Wrangler and Viper?

Pretty sure FCA is happy with being able to spread some Ferrari and Maserati costs around a little more. Aren't the current Viper's seats shared with Maserati or Ferrari?

2002: 1511
    2003: 2103
    2004: 1782
    2005: 1652
    2006: 1455
    2007: 435
    2008: 1172
    2009: 482
    2010: 392
    2011: 197
    2012: 20
    2013: 591
    2014: 760

Stumbling this generation? It's risen in annual sales each year.

IMHO, Viper still has a place. But I think the niche it plays in is smaller.

jken02, Mike V. and BASONE88 like this.
  10. dodgeatheart

dodgeatheart Not THAT guy again!

How does this compare to Vette sales?

11. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, the buying public is getting small with the simple fact the Viper is a great road coarse/racing vehicle, but it is very difficult to drive on the streets. How does Corvette do it? It is a street car that does well on the tracks, the Viper is a track car that CAN be driven on the street. So at this point, those with Corvettes aren't going to purchase one unless they want to step up to the track experience (still pretty small number, brand loyalty thing), whereas having such a top dog car for the cruiser/almost daily driver, not really happening. It's not so much moving down a notch as much as working more on its roadability. I guess if they can have ten notch adjustable shocks, what would be the problem with also a power reduction key, like the Hellcat? Taming the beast may be the solution to get them more "streetable".

Compared to the 'vette, about 10-14percent over the years from what I remember.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  12. dakrt99

They could move Viper to mid engine. Hellcats fill in the empty space left by the Viper.

13. dakrt99

Taming the beast could help. Diversifying their portfolio would also help. Having a mid engine, DCT version along with the front engine car. There is still room for the beast, they need other versions that appeal to the guys buying 200K cars at record levels. McLaren has already sold out of it's 350K 675LT. Make the viper better in every single aspect.

14. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Viper is hand made. Vette is built on an assembly line.

Vettes are made by the 10's of thousands per year, and are seen many times a day.

Viper is made by the hundreds per year, and I see Ferrari's and Lamboorghini's more often.

I see a Viper about once a year (unless I am at a track, where Vipers almost always out number Corvettes.)

Standing side by side, the Covette is nice, but ho hum.

The Viper is an unbelievable attention magnet.

It's like seeing the Pope standing next to Kate Upton in a bikini.

(To be clear: Kate Upton is in the bikini, not the Pope. The is wearing his Pope clothes.)

Nobody will even know the Pope is in the room.

...and nobody is going to know what kind of car that is sitting next to the Viper.

Very, very, very few cars have the attention draw of a Viper. It takes a really rare, or unusual car, to out draw a Viper.

jerseyjoe, jken02, MoparDanno and 5 others like this.
  15. dakota21

Supporter

They need to build a car that's sole purpose is embarrassing supercars. Maybe now that Ferrari is gone this will happen. Dodge already has a big seller sports car, its called the Challenger. Trying to make a profit off the Viper is a bad idea when that market is already overrun by the Corvette and bought by middle age losers who want something that looks fast, but is affordable.

16. Stratuscaster

Significantly less.

2002:
    2003: 27,974
    2004: 35,276
    2005: 32,489
    2006: 36,518
    2007: 33,685
    2008: 26,971
    2009: 13,934
    2010: 12,624
    2011: 13,164
    2012: 14,132
    2013: 17,291
    2014: 34,839

17. Stratuscaster

Ferrari isn't gone.

Viper - by all accounts - is profitable.

Not everyone that buys a Corvette is a "middle-aged loser." Now you're on the same side of calling folks that buy Jeeps but don't go off-road "posers." That crap is not needed here.

18. dakota21

Supporter

I'm not saying everyone that buys a Corvette is a middle-aged loser, just that there are a lot of buyers that are going through a mid-life crisis and this gives it a bad name to an extent. I just wouldn't want that for the Viper.

19. aldo90731

Viper's original mission was as a no-nonesense sports car in the true vein of the original Shelby Cobra.

With fancy leather seats, climate control, navigation, power everything, and the same engine, I can understand why many may feel Viper lost its way.

20. KyleCoffey

KyleCoffey Well-Known Member

Technically speaking, the Viper is a mid-engine vehicle.