AF: AN: Viper Near End of Life? | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Viper Near End of Life?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Jul 23, 2015.

1. dana44

Ad-Free Member

So, is he going to drop a Hellcat in it? LOL.

2. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The Bilstein system actually changes its damping curve. The GM system uses a single damping curve but slides it up and down the scale. If memory serves. Theoretically, a combination of the two would be ideal, infinitely, instantly, variable damping and rebound curves, and viscosity scales.

Of course, fully active suspension, that moves when command, at the commanded speed, and in the commanded direction is ideal. Today's processors, measuring, and electro-hydraulics are up to the task, but it'd still take a Fort Knox worth of gold to put it all together and get it working.

3. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I am a big Alfa fan. Helped a buddy resto-mod his delapidated yet still sound 80's Spider. His old college car, been rotting since his first kid was born.

Tweet Ralph, and ask him the significance of the Viper T/A, the number 33, and Alfa Romeo. I can almost guarantee you'l get a response, and a passionate one.

MoparDanno likes this.
  4. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

You can find folks passionate about many brands. Just because you aren't a fan or don't know the "why" of why folks cherish it doesn't make it less significant.

Plenty of Alfisti are reading this thread and wondering why some of us are so passionate about an old-school brutal V10 sports car.

5. dana44

Ad-Free Member

It's one of those things you wonder until you get behind the wheel and experience it yourself. And as had been noted before, by many of us, driving characteristics are different for small and large engines in the different cars. Small and high winding engines are fun, but the higher you wind it, the more gas you waste, and in small cars, like my TR4, at 1731 lbs, it is a different story than an engine putting out the same power as my 440 six pac in a 3700lb Charger. Again, a 440 in a 1731 lb car car would not handle well at all, so size and weight are big factors, I don't see as much fun as a 510hp twin turbo V6 under the hood of a 68 Charger being the answer, either.

6. aldo90731

Yup, the fact that there are people passionate even about Toyota and Honda appliances says a lot.

HotCarNut likes this.
  7. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

yes its means or it says that there is no accounting for taste.

JKU12, MoparDanno, jam1 and 7 others like this.
  8. md80891

md80891 Active Member

The two most important criteria and selecting a vehicle or reliability and fuel economy. They will swap positions depending on the price of fuel.

I was at the dealership the other day chatting with a senior citizen in the in the waiting room. He had brought the wife's Camry hybrid in for service. I asked about his experience. He was very enthusiastic about being able to drive between Salt Lake City and Denver on one tank of gas. I asked about the city econmu and he was very enthusiastic about 31 miles per gallon they were averaging. The car has no maintenance issues.

I asked about the Tacoma he relayed it was five years old and every bell and whistle and he paid $32,000. The truck has had no maintenance issues and is only drawback is his grandson plays the stereo too loud.this gentleman was at least in his 70s.

So if FCA wants to compete given the understanding that reliability and fuel economy are the two largest factors in auto purchasing. Then they need to build a better appliance at a better price and get their message out.

xjgary, aldo90731 and JavelinAMX like this.
  9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I'm not advocating for Appliances, but I am very, very 'on edge' that FCA's products are down at the bottom of the rankings. FCA ought to be out in public sticking it to the journalists who wrongly accuse them of lower quality when those journalists are wrong. But they also better be addressing quality issues better than they have, too.

I believe the good people who assemble our cars are very likely doing their jobs right. FCA, however, would be better served to back their people's good work up with some public outcry when the reviews come out with 'questionable origins' of quality problems.

However, the recent very, very public Gaffs are going to be nightmares to try to overcome.

They need to re-focus. Quality IS a concern.

xjgary and md80891 like this.
  10. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...

For some. Not all.

100% reliability is not guaranteed - for ANY brand or vehicle. Toyota and Honda enjoy a good reputation for reliability - but an Internet search will reveal PLENTY of Toyotas and Hondas with reliability issues. Their products are not magical - if not maintained they WILL fail just as any other brand will.

Which your senior friend obviously knows, since he was in for some kind of service.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  11. md80891

md80891 Active Member

There is an annual study put out by oak ridge national labs and Argonne national labs that surveys a number of categories I posted the link earlier this year. One of the categories is factors on consumer purchase. Those two are tthe top two for a decade and swap position depending on the price of fuel.

Camry was in for a state inspection to be licensed. I have interviewed at least a dozen hybrid Camry owners and all are really enthusiastic about their cars.

As Lee Attwater said perception is reality. So you have to build that reliable car and get that message out.

12. aldo90731

Actually, the single most important criteria for selecting a vehicle is QDR (Quality, Dependability and Reliability), period.

Even when someone picks a vehicle on fuel economy grounds, the underlying assumption is that it is a reliable vehicle. No matter what fuel prices do, buyers always expect reliability to exist; if not, they will not even give it chance, no matter how fuel efficient a vehicle may be.

There are two different ways of finding out what drives people to buy things: stated importance and derived importance.

To answer questions like "What's the most important criteria for selecting a vehicle?", stated importance tends to get clouded by whatever is occupying the customer's mind in any given point in time (e.g., times of rising fuel prices); derived importance gets to the real underlying reasons in a clearer, more stable manner.

QDR is and has been the number one reason for the past 30+ years we have been tracking the market.

#512 aldo90731, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    HotCarNut likes this.
  13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

So the Internet rumor of the day is that the Viper is getting a 770 horse supercharged V10 and that those engines have already been delivered to Chrysler. The article sounds about as reputable as the new 'Cuda.
    The funniest part of the article was this "There is also speculation that SRT will be offer a retrofit Supercharger kit for older Vipers as well." yeah, right.

14. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Technically the "rumored supercharger kit" is true, except the kit is not offered by Mopar as originally intended but is being offered by Viper Exchange. It is my understanding that Mopar/SRT was originally involved in this project with Arrow.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2015/01/900hp-supercharged-viper-27306

It requires quite a bit of modification and is quite pricey... But, it is the closest thing to a factory supercharged Viper possible.

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  15. jam1

jam1 Well-Known Member

Now, honestly, how many of you grinned or laughed when you read this response...... ? I totally agree..... some folks just don't care and only want a car that takes them from point "A" to point "B"..... this is not politically correct, and may be biased, but these type folks just don't get it IMHO...... I can't stand seeing a bunch of "bubble-bean" cars everyday single day on the way to work or wherever..... it's sad when a 90's car or a '77 Granada draws more attention than the new cars on the road..... at least "most" FCA vehicle have distinctive designs that catch the attention and make you happy to step into them and fall behind the wheel for the open road. I love the Viper and think it's a staple of FCA and what helps separate it from the other car companies... again, I do not wish to step on another's toes, just MHO.

HotCarNut likes this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

My limited experience has been...

Camry owners generally are not as enthusiastic these days as they used to be; but Corolla owners are.
    Both report lots and lots of problems when the model year brings major changes but these problems are quickly addressed and go away.

I will have to post something on the Viper. Oh, wait, we did it already ... in january....

MoparDanno and Mike V. like this.
  17. Mike V.

I had your back with the link ;)

Oh yeah!

Mike

18. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

Ditto.

md80891 likes this.
  19. Mike V.

There are many thousands of Italian car fans in the U.S. While I do not share their taste in automobiles for the most part, I respect the passion of the many thousands of members of organizations like Fiat Club America.

Just because Alfa fans do not run in the circles you and @dana44 run in does not mean they are out there. In fact a visit to a vintage sports car race will yield many people who love to race Italian cars like Fiat's and Alfa's on any given weekend.

Mike

JKU12 and HotCarNut like this.
  20. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Passion for great cars should be appreciated regardless of the brand. Alfa Romeo historically had some fantastic race cars and road cars. Same with Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Maserati. I may lobby for investment in certain programs because I believe that they are important to the future of the brands, but that doesn't come at the cost of killing passion for other types of automobiles.

JKU12, Mopar Jerry and Mike V. like this.