AF: AN: Viper Near End of Life? | Page 27 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Viper Near End of Life?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Jul 23, 2015.

1. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, they are out there, no doubt, but the thing is, they are low volume cars to begin with, so of course there are followers. Low volume cars are, without exception, like the Viper, expensive, so their desire by more mainstream drivers, is greatly reduced.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Here is where I see a disconnect. How many of those owners of classic cars remain loyal to that brand (or a sister brand) as their daily driver?
    You know, like the guy who hauls around his Road Runner with a Ford F250 rather than a Ram. Or the 65 Mustang towed by a Dodge Ram. Or the 69 Dodge Charger that sits in the garage beside a new Honda.
    I know it happens to all brands, but how many of those classic Alfa owners will be in the market for a new Alfa or at least some other FCA product?
    Chrysler lost a lot of their classic owners with the swap to FWD in the 80s. Some probably are coming back since the Hemi and RWD cars came back. Years ago, I belonged to a classic Imperial group. The most common modern daily driver among that group? The RWD Buick Roadmaster (before it too met the same fate as the Imperial) rather than the Chrysler 300C.

GasAxe likes this.
  3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

You would be surprised at how many bought Fiat 500's. In fact the Prima's were initially offered to members of FLU and they sold and still well within the community.

Mike

#523 Mike V., Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Mario9 and Prabhjot like this.
  4. md80891

md80891 Active Member

A guy my age brings in a really nice restoration to the subway near my house. I commented on the beautiful work that he had done. He relayed his next project that he wanted to do was an Italian sports car with his son. I relayed that Chrysler was going to start bringing Alfa Romeo's back into the United States within 18 months.

At the ALMS races, GM had a big corporate presence? Ford a smaller corporate presence. The Porsche owners were there the Viper owners didn't really have a organize group. However, There were at least 250 Corvettes for three years. It was a big weekend for the Corvette owners club.

#524 md80891, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  5. Mike V.

When SRT Motorsports was involved in ALMS/TUDOR, they always had a corporate setup and VCA owners were present and invited with Viper/SRT exclusive parking.

Mike

6. Mike V.

As members of Allpar and "car people" in general, we should respect other enthusiast and their passions.

Some of the comments here are far from that.

Mike

JKU12, PCRMike, freshforged and 2 others like this.
  7. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Not here

8. Mike V.

Where? When?

When SRT Motorsports was involved in ALMS/TUDOR, they always had a corporate setup and VCA owners were present and invited with Viper/SRT exclusive parking.

Mike

9. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Miller Motorsports Park 2006/2010

#529 md80891, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  10. Mike V.

You only answered one of the two questions asked... I will try again.

When?

Again, when SRT Motorsports was involved in ALMS/TUDOR, they always had a corporate setup and VCA owners were present and invited with Viper/SRT exclusive parking.

Mike

11. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

My neighbor across the street bought a 3rd generation Alfa Spider several years back. The body was actually in good shape for a 20+ year old car in this part of the country with very little rust. He must've screwed around with that car for 5-6 years before the frustration of trying to get it to run reliably finally got to him and he sold it. He'd take it out in the summer for what he thought would be some fun, but it often returned home on a rollback.....and the tinkering continued. The reality is Fiats, Alfas, and every other Italian car from 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago were all considered unreliable rust buckets. Kinda like most British and French cars in that regard. Even Ferraris, Lambos, and Maseratis don't seem to be at the pinnacle of reliability today. Fiat certainly hasn't proven much has changed with the consistently poor rankings of the 500's quality since their return to this country. Should I give them the benefit of the doubt with the upcoming Alfas? I think not. The proof is in the pudding. I'm going to be interested to see how the Italian-made Renegade ends up rating over the next couple of years. Let's hope for the best......just don't place a wager on it.

12. md80891

md80891 Active Member

My insurance agents are young kids and buy really nice cars they did not know what an Alfa was. I think that's what FCA is counting on.

HotCarNut likes this.
  13. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Most buyers of luxury sports cars and sedans today don't remember much of the Alfa era. It's been gone from the US for so long that nobody in their 30s-40s even remembers them except for the name.

GasAxe and dana44 like this.
  14. somber

somber 370,000 miles

I'm not an Italian car buff, but when I was a kid, I had a poster of a Fiat Dino on my wall (alongside posters of a Superbird, Austin Healey 3000, and Chevy Nomad), and I really liked the looks of the Lancia Betas and Fiat X1/9s that I saw on the roads back in the 70s. I had a friend in college who had an AR GTV6, which was a good-performing car. He drove like a maniac, though, so I only rode with him once :). But I have to agree with dana44 concerning the current Fiat US lineup - there's nothing there that's exciting to me at all.

Prabhjot likes this.
  15. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Yet. The Fiat version of the Mazda Miata ought to bring a smile to a lot of faces.

Prabhjot and somber like this.
  16. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Well, I hope it will be recognizable as a Fiat instead of simply a rebadged Mazda Miata. Hope to see one on the road when? 18-24 months from now? I can't wait.....

17. Mike V.

There is a thread with a very close rendering from an Allpar News article in the Fiat thread.

And it will be here much much sooner than 18-24 months.

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  18. UKSteve

UKSteve New Member

Just gotta say I hope the viper doesn't die. It's what's drew me to Mopar in the first place. But if dodge has no interest in a halo car and/or racing than count me meh

aldo90731 likes this.
  19. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

its because they are loyal not to a brand but to an era: musclecar/ponycar. The brand is immaterial, just the artifact is important to this subset of the car culture in the us. Alfa Romeo fans in the US are likely to try the new models (if they can afford it) simply due to the relatively obscure nature of their passion. Not that the numbers will amount to much. Alfa will have to survive on conquest sales (largely from the german brands).

Mario9, Prabhjot and Mike V. like this.
  20. KyleCoffey

KyleCoffey Well-Known Member

So I hear Ralph has a certain aftermarket suspension setup on his car, and he is working with the vendor on fine tuning for various road/track conditions