AF: AN: Viper Near End of Life? | Page 29 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Viper Near End of Life?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

No, that is not what I said.

You reference the quality of the 2005 MY Alfa 159. I stated the Mito showed improvement over the 159 and then the Giulietta even more so. I also have stated three times that Guilia will have to prove itself.

I don't understand why you seem to try to make an argument out of everything I post.

Mike

2. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Go back and re read that and tell me where I said anything about the 159. Starts with JKU and alfas from 30 years ago. Me with reviews from five to ten years ago. You work 159 mito guiletta and me with mito reviews.

Guiletta reviews note improvement but still not up to competitor standards.

Sales are around 65/66k and relegated primarily to Italy.

Not to say that given automation things will not improve but to date there is not a reputation for quality and dependability.

JavelinAMX likes this.
  3. Mike V.

You reference product from 10 years ago, the Alfa 159 began sales 10 years ago.

Again, I don't understand the argument.

Mike

Prabhjot likes this.
  4. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Sorry to interlope but: as an owner of the Mito's twin, the Fiat Punto and its sedan derivative, the Linea too, and of a Palio before that, can I suggest that build as well as component quality and reliability have been superb, speaking from India, where as you might imagine road, weather and fuel-quality conditions can often be "difficult".

The only problems I've ever faced are vanishingly minor ones. However they're very far from selling-well....because the vast majority have a lapsed and dated (from say 6+ years ago, pre-Marchionne effect) perception of their being 'expensive to own and maintain' with poor dealers.

The only problem with the Mito is that it has not sold well, and is by now a tad dated in its platform and handling technology, as also its interior 'decor' by Euro standards, NOT quality or reliability and such. It's a sweet looking and riding car, believe me: we rented one when we were in Italy a couple of years ago. The Giulietta's even better.

Please don't be closed minded to Alfa.....maybe there will be a Viper-like Dodge, reworked or interpreted a la Americana, as twin of the Alfa coupe/spider "speciality" model planned for 2017, I think? Should be splendid.

Although an inexpensive Dodge avatar too of the Miata/124 might be just the thing for the US market! No?

danbek likes this.
  5. KyleCoffey

KyleCoffey Well-Known Member

6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Forgive me, I'm not trying to jump in front of md80891, but that architecture as a Dodge, no; I don't think so.

A Dodge nameplate on an obvious Miata cum Fiat 124 is what I'd consider a couple steps away from what Dodge customers would normally desire. Even the current Dart is taking a while for customers to accept. So far, it's only a slow uptake.

Prabhjot and Mike V. like this.
  7. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Therein is the rub. The same perception is in Europe and it is deserved. As a competitor to mini mito comes up short. It came up short when introduced and remained so. Interiors do count as quality perception.

Two seater would be great and a half a dozen concepts had been done over the years. Original ideas had been done didn't need to badge a Miata.

Prabhjot likes this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Keeping in mind we are talking about completely new cars here.

9. Mike V.

Correct, not a 10 year old Chrysler concept was simply a concept vehicles and was far from finished product. For that matter, that concept plan may not even fit regulation or program requirements today.

It took GM five years to go from cobbled together concept to production 2 seat roadster sports car with the Solstice. Teaming up with Mazda saves money for both FCA and Mazda while giving FCA access to a proven, reliable platform, all while significantly cutting the time to market for the final product.

It's a win-win.

Mike

Morty, danbek, Moparian and 2 others like this.
  10. KyleCoffey

Ralph talking about testing and tuning the TRACtive setup on Storm

MoparDanno likes this.
  11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Viper and Vette are in different leagues. One is mass produced by mostly robots while the other is hand assembled by humans and produce 12 a day.

12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Well, at least we're back to talking about Vipers.

Has anything changed? The Viper's future, or non-future, is still unknown at this point?

Any news on when/if a roadster will be available?

Can't wait for the ACR.

13. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I think you miss the point, its a factory hot rod that at one time had super cars for breakfast. I blame Fiat for trying to move it into the luxury performance area. They will never let it beat a Ferrari again so whats the use. It had a longer ride than cars like the GT 40. Would like to see Fiat dump Ferrari and do supercar sniping again. Since the Viper is an issue why produec the Mopar drag car?

14. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

It will take some time but these cars will appreciate in value quite a bit.

15. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Er... ahem...

The Viper, as is, already pounds a stake into the heart of a lot of supercars. Factory cars than can beat it around a track can be counted on one hand by a guy that is missing three fingers.

Now, when the ACR comes out, it will pound an even bigger stake into their hearts, and those last two, that are still roaming around will get pinned to ground, though their heart, with a stake that says "I am VIPER" on it.

(sorry, drank a little [person who likes a particular brand] potion there.)

Morty and MoparDanno like this.
  16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Wow, the text filters removed f4n b0y?

17. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Viper Exchange just got their first load of ACR's today too.....

dakrt99 likes this.
  18. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

I have a feeling that the ACR Extreme Aero package is going to make quite a few million dollar hyper cars its track bitches...... 918 is the only one it may have issues with.

dakrt99 likes this.
  19. KyleCoffey

I cant wait to see an ACR set up with a set of Tractive's.... especially if it's possible to increase the damping coefficient with speed (and I think it is)

20. BernieG

BernieG Member

They need to build the Chrysler Firepower concept from several years ago.