AF: AN: Viper Near End of Life? | Page 30 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Viper Near End of Life?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Something of that nature could happen on GUS

2. somber

somber 370,000 miles

I think it's filtered because it's usually used as a pejorative. I don't think there's any problem with it if you're applying it to yourself.

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Yes, so please do not go around the filter, like you just did :)

Mike

4. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

As a Dodge. I don't see the Chrysler brand getting anything on GUS in a car line....

5. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

So let me ask this, as I honestly don't know.

Have we CONFIRMED that Conner Ave is closing?

6. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

No plans to idle US plants...

Mike V., james.mooney. and MoparDanno like this.
  7. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

I think your right but I still think it would be nice to see a performance oriented Chrysler car. I'm sure what ever Dodge is spawned from it would certainly be fun though.

MoparDanno likes this.
  8. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

I don't want to see a "performance" Chrysler, I want to see a luxury car that just happens to have a 392. A cruiser, a car you want drive slow around town in.

9. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Why do you need the terrible(realtive to the 3.6) fuel economy of a 392 if all you want to do is drive slow around town? That makes no sense. If anything the 3.6 fits the bill perfectly, its just as fast as the 05 Hemi 300, gets good fuel economy and Corsa will sell you an exhaust that sounds very nice if you want some sort of sound.

Max Wedge likes this.
  10. WXman

WXman Active Member

I see Vipers at car shows.

That's the only place I see them.

I see Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes, Camaros, GT-Rs, 370Zs, G35s, and the occasional Lambo actually cruising and out on the roads. To be honest, I'm shocked the Viper has survived 20+ years. I'm not sure what it is about them that enthusiasts dislike. The awful MPGs? The awful ride quality? The awful interior? I don't know. But they aren't popular in my part of the world. And the last one my dealer sold went for $150K. There's a lot of awesome stuff in the world for $150k.

11. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

I see Vipers on the road around here quite a few times a year. Less so than Lambo's and F-cars admittedly, but those are status symbols, where the Viper is more of a golden sledgehammer.

Park a Lambo, a F-car, and a Viper ACR next to each other at a cars and coffee sort of thing and watch and see which car gets the most "views". It wont be Italian....

Muther and Moparian like this.
  12. Moparian

I see one every day around here. Black with Silver stripes. I believe its a doctor at the local hospital but not 100% sure. I've seen a handful of the Gen V but there are quite a few Gen IV's around this area.

13. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

One of the local dealers has a new Viper on the lot. The next closest is over 200 miles away according to Dodge's inventory search tool. Very rarely see one on the road.....but I guess that's part of the appeal, not everyone can get one like the Corvette, which are a dime a dozen around here. You see plenty of C7s.

14. srt4evah

srt4evah Well-Known Member

More likely it's the awful reputation for killing it's owners, the reason it earned a reputation as a widowmaker. The Viper isn't a car to be trifled with, which is what most rich people want in the $100k+ range.

MoparDanno likes this.
  15. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Very, very true. I see a Lambo, at leat once a quarter. I see Corvettes many times a day. I see Aston Martins several times per year. I see Ferrari's about as much.

I see no more than one Viper per year, unless I am at a track...

Then I see lots of them...

Ususally in front of all of those other cars I mentioned.

That is why Viper exists. Rarity, and uncompromising performance. As I have said before, Viper is the utmost refinement of 1960's technology. It is almost a neolithic kind of car (mentioned before). It is a car evolved toward one purpose, hunting, and killing. It is not the tribal elder, it is not the tribal medicine maker. It is the Tribal predator. It is all about beating its competitors on a track. Anything else is of much less concern for it.

It is for those reasons that the ACR is so badly needed. Although I am glad they waited to intro the ACR, until it was right. I do wish it could have come sooner.

Moparian and MoparDanno like this.
  16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I never see Vipers OR Lambos but man, I see BMWs and Teslas all the time. Guess we're in that range. Well, not all of us. Modal car here is Honda Odyssey followed closely by BMW followed by various Hondas... oh, and huge black SUVs.

17. Moparian

Vette's are a dime a dozen around here. I did have a new McLaren 650s in some sort of candy yellow metallic pull up next to me on Sunday..... other than at the Concourse d' Elegance I've never seen one in real life.

18. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

I get AUTOWEEK and in their classified section section there are various exotic car dealers that have Lambo's, F-Cars, etc. When the first generation Viper came out you saw them populate those particular exotic car inventories. Now you see none. Did the Viper lose it's appeal ? Don't know. Maybe it's the huge price the current Viper demands for what you get.
    You just don't see the Viper mentioned by various car people like you used to.
    How do we get that back ?

19. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

We must live in the same part of the country :) I see one or two early Gen vipers out for Sunday rides during the summer and there is a maseratti parked in my office lot every day. But for the most part the exotics are very rare.

20. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

With a good marketing, Viper is forgotten