AF: AN: Viper Near End of Life? | Page 31 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Viper Near End of Life?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Jul 23, 2015.

1. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Vipers seem to stay in the background. Most of them pass person to person vs going through a dealer of some sort. Usually the ones at dealers tend to be the salvage title cars ( Not always! ) and to get the pristine examples you have to go private party. And they advertise on Viper Alley or the VCOA....

2. WXman

WXman Active Member

Only certain dealers can sell the Viper also, correct? I was told that SRT was pretty focused on who is actually allowed to sell them.

3. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

I don't believe that holds true anymore. That was only in effect for the 13-14 MY. When they refocused SRT and put it back into Dodge, Viper got let out of the cage.

Heck, up until about 5 months ago we had a brand new launch 13 on the floor still....

HotCarNut and Moparian like this.
  4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

FCA US (Chrysler Group) has no current plans to cancel the Viper. The product has been profitable, thanks to heavy merchandising and licensing of various products. The next generation of Viper has been pushed back, due to cost going into launch many new mainstream products in the next 4 model years. The Viper will get a few special edition models each year, as well as minor upgrades through the rest of GEN V's life. The issue at hand is where the Viper will go from here. The current Viper motor has been pushed to about the maximum of it's potential currently to meet EPA standards. From what I heard, insiders want to keep the Viper formula together V-10, long hood, short overhang and front engine layout. Arrow Racing Engines had been testing prototype supercharged V-10s in the past 18 months. But it seems that has died down as well. It looks like it is the end for the monster V-10 which was based on LA series of engines. Viper might get some help from inside corporate brands as well. Like GEN V, FCA US is currently looking at various options. A new V-10 from the ground up with some Pentastar engineering could be the answer. 7-speed manual transmissions are also being looked at to maximize fuel economy.

FCA US has no plans on cancelling their halo car anytime soon. Across town, rumor has the GM Performance team working on a new C8 with mid-engine layout to be showing up in the next five model years. So FCA US has plenty of time, considering the current generation is only going on its fourth year of production.

Max Wedge and Moparian like this.
  5. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Correct, any dealership that is willing to have a Viper certified tech can order them now.

MoparDanno likes this.
  6. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I agree, Vipers are like four stroke single motorcycles. They tend to be one owner vehicles their entire lives, and when sold they tend to go owner to owner and avoid any form of classified ads, as Danno stated.

So, with plans only to continue the Viper, how long were its past models lives? how long did each generation live?

Though I am loathe to line up Corvette and Viper, Corvette generations usually last about ten years. The best looking Corvette lasted 1968-1982/3. Many exotics such as Viper, have model life spans well into double digits. Havine this Viper around for a while does not bother me in the slightest. as powerful, and as quick as it is, I believe there is even more to be had from it.

The (wild) EXTRAPOLATION Dept.:
    So, if a penta star style V10 were used, I would expect no less than six liters, and 500 horsepower; not exactly Viper power levels, but then that is making very rough estimates based on the plain vanilla 3.6 at 300hp. With Viper level hardware, and effort, I am sure nearly 1hp per liter is possible out of a P-star style engine.

Sooooo, 3.6 Liters at 360hp divided by six cylinders, then mulitplied by ten cylinders, then rounding up a few pecent points accounting for inflation, that works out to a 6ish liter V10, at 600+ hp. Normally apsirated. Much better. Possible, but that would be a jolly expensive power plant. It would be a rev'r, too. It would sound very nice, too., too. Of course, throwing a huffer on a P-star style V10 is also possible.

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

GEN I - 1992 to 1996 (R/T10 Only)
    GEN II - 1996 (GTS) 1997 (R/T10) to 2002
    GEN III - 2003 to 2006
    GEN IV - 2008 to 2010
    GEN V - 2013 to Present

I did not say a Pentastar V-10. I simply said a smaller bore V-10 using similar technologis as the Pentastar engines. Viper would again be unique.

8. v.b.

v.b. Well-Known Member

Maybe they can put 2 Pentastars in it...

Or, better yet, ask Ferrari to cast a V12 block based on Pentastar and build the engine in US with as much common parts as possible.

v

9. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Not worth the time, effort, or cost.

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  10. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I'm not sure a one-off V10 would ever be cost-justified. A more realistic option would be a twin-turbo V8 based on a new Pentastar V8 that would replace the 5.7L and 6.4L HEMIs. You could easily top 800 hp with it (the HellCat could easily as well) and that's plenty of power given the Viper's low weight. Share a basic chassis layout with the next Maserati GranTurismo maybe.....who knows? From a cost perspective that would be MUCH more efficient than trying to build an upgrade of the current Viper's chassis and V10.

11. KyleCoffey

KyleCoffey Well-Known Member

I think Dodge should explore pneumatic valves for the Viper engine, a la Koenigsegg. This would make the engine more compact, get rid of the cams and pushrods, and allow the engineers to have control over the "cam" profiles for each individual valve( including the ability to allow the valve to operate as though it had a square camshaft).

12. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

Let her go ... time for a fresh start with our Italian friends. . Italian is a part of American culture. ..I will love to see what this offspring will bring to us in NA...
    Just my humble opinion ..
    Xxx power Dodge version of a Alfa Romeo Giulia ...grrrrrrrrrrrr

13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Viper always been and always will be a V-10.

14. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Limited.