AF: AN: Wrangler may leave frame, factory, steel behind | Page 45 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Wrangler may leave frame, factory, steel behind

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Yes....a 1994 Chevy fullsize Blazer (2nd gen) and an AM General M923A1 5ton 6x6 (3rd gen).

Jackratchett likes this.
  2. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Soooo.....the 'ship has sailed'.....and the next Wrangler will be an aluminum unibody construction, IFS with rear solid axles, fixed winshield, with removable roof panels.........am I close ?

As I now go run and hide.......

3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Steel frame with aluminum tub highly likely (not unibody), Ram based suspension seems likely, fixed windshield very likely, convertible-ness undetermined, depends on if roof crush test will be required.

4. TheMan

Level III Supporter

Not on the body. Aluminum BOF structure that meets FMVSS216 to eliminate convertible or open body issues.

5. TheMan

Level III Supporter

Now since dave gave the green light to continue....what variants do you want to see?

...and lets keep each answer to the types you want to see, NOT a discussion or argument over why or why not of a particular style.

6. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

Two door, four door, pickup. So keep current two variants plus pickup.

Moparian likes this.
  7. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Ill go 1 step further and say 4 door pickup.

8. TheMan

Level III Supporter

Addendum: I will cut this off at 11:00 am to allow me to add up the variants and figure out the changes for each, if possible to include in a single design.

9. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Four door and pick up. I would not be be put off by a full metal integrated roof if it was offered, with sun roof option. Once you've been in a 4 door Wrangler you may have a hard time seeing the value of offering a 2 door version.
    Look at what the Japanese makers offer in other markets. The offer a wider range of 4x4 designs than anyone else. I guess the market is not big enough here though or else they would offer those same products here.
    Many people have been clamoring for a Wrangler pick up, esp since the discontinuance of the Dakota. As good as the Ram is, it is just too big for many buyers who have limited parking or have to park in cities. If they offered a Wrangler pick up that WILL be my next Jeep. As it is, I like the latest GC, but it is too car-like and complex to me. I reached my complexity tolerance level with the WK.

If they use the coil over suspension design on the new Wrangler, a note to those in a position to choose materials: Let's see if you can choose a material for the clevis bolt and lower control arm bushing that does not rust/seize in the bushing on the lower control arm, making a simple shock absorber upgrade a sh!tshow. I can change 4 shocks on a ZJ in less than an hour. These are the things that will push me away from Jeep, if not corrected.
    Let's see if you have the sense to stop using the stupid lug nuts with the tin covers that twist off. Or the cheap plastic clips/retainers that are part of an 'assembly'......

10. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Don't want to hijack Bob's thread, but if, as rumored, the Wrangler is getting smaller, a four door variant is probably out of the question. The AEV Brute Double Cab is 24" longer than JKU.
    So don't get your hopes up.
    If any truck variant comes, it is likely to be a jump cab like the Gladiator Concept.

Moparian likes this.
  11. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

I was once stationed where there was an RAF detachment on the same base. I got to look at their LRs and saw a larger radius of curvature in many of the body stampings than on our steel-bodied Jeeps and pickups. I then had some understanding of why the LRs were funny-shaped. I visualize Marlin Perkins in a LR being chased by a rhinoceros.

#891 Cornupenuria, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  12. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

whooooooa...... Ok I missed that part..... So are you saying that in addition to possibly not being a convertible Wrangler the 4 door also may not be built?

13. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

In the 24 years I have been driving XJ Cherokee's I have never lost one of those covers.
    Of course I do my own brakes and rotation, etc and don't use air tools. So the only time a power tool touches them is when I get new tires.

14. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

My M300 motor home had shimmy problems by 25,000 miles while my D300 truck had no problems by its 135,000 mi EOL for rust.

15. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

I think he meant 4 door truck.

MoparNorm likes this.
  16. TheMan

Level III Supporter

Obvious that you cannot follow simple requests to sit on your hands about comments.....

17. TheMan

Level III Supporter

Obvious you cannot follow simple requests either....

18. TheMan

Level III Supporter

No one said anything about shorter length Norm. You are misinterpreting statements.

19. kcoc

kcoc Active Member

2 door, 4 door and 2 door pickup w/ a small area behind the seats for storage.

20. TheMan

Level III Supporter

Dave....it is also obvious that we are going to have to end these discussions since people cannot sit on their hands again to allow me to continue. Too bad. Like always the few kill the opportunity for the many to learn. Call me and I will answer the questions for your article.

#900 TheMan, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.