AF: AN: Wrangler may leave frame, factory, steel behind | Page 46 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AN: Wrangler may leave frame, factory, steel behind

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Allpar News System, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

The only time I have lost one is the same scenario. I use a torque wrench and have been for over 40 years worth. Still is it too much to ask, for a company to make small parts simple technology that are high quality.?How much could they be saving on that vs a solid chrome lug nut?
    As I said in earlier posts I can live with the changes that may come for the Wrangler, I will not chose one of their products again if such simple details continue to be ignored...

2. It's really too bad that a few have to ruin this.

GLHS60, dmcdonald and Moparian like this.
  3. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

Like the prototype aircraft from which the tail fell of the first time the engines were run up.

4. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Nor did I. I was simply speculating on the potential for a 4 door pickup.
    I was going by the Marchionne conversations, with his reference of "smaller".
    Now smaller can mean many things, but a vehicle that is 24" longer than the current JKU, probably doesn't fit the vague term, "smaller", especially if, as you speculated, it may be a bit narrower to improve highway fuel consumption.

5. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

And ride horses off road!

6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Van body ...

7. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Jeep with removable sliding doors :)

8. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

I hope I wasn't one of them.
    This is a great thread......as I quietly sit on my hands.

Jeepnut likes this.
  9. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Well the speculation about a smaller Wrangler, went around and around about being lower and narrower, i.e. reducing the frontal area, which is a huge impact on aerodynamic drag and thus fuel mileage. Length, although has an effect on aerodynamics, NOT nearly as much as frontal area, but it does add weight and that is a negative impact on fuel efficiency. So, its still a guess, the speculation doesn't rule out a 4 door Wrangler in fact the changes may be coming from an attempt to save it, but its just as likely it could be eliminated because of the weight penalty.

(Length actually could have a postive impact on "Form Drag" for some short stubby forms, even outweighing the parasitic drag loses. But I doubt a new Wrangler is going to be swoopy enough that form drag improvements can be found by a little extra length). It may be a case of the extra length having an insignficant impact on aerodynamic drag, the extra weight of the length made up by weight savings and other improvements other areas to continue to offer the 4 door version.

#909 Rick Anderson, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    TheMan likes this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Dropping the four door would be commercial suicide.

11. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

I could see them dropping the 2 door before the 4 door but they both should live on for this generation.

12. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

agreed.... anyone who thinks dropping the softtop version will not be just as disaterous is completly out of touch with the Wrangler buyer.

crmarczak, dodgeatheart and Moparian like this.
  13. I agree. And making it narrower doesn't make sense either. As I recall the reason they made it wider was to give the passengers and driver more room. This made the Wrangler the commercial success it is today. A pickup would be icing on an already nice cake. My opinion of course.

14. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Reread what I said about where the change comes from.

15. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Remember, I was talking about a 4 door pickup version, NOT the JKU.

JKU12 likes this.
  16. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Remember, that speculation is only based off the speculation of the NHTSA changing regs in such a way to disallow a Wrangler to have a soft-top, i.e. remove its Convertible designation.

I think everyone at FCA knows what non-open top Wrangler would do to sales, but if the Federal Government says we will NOT allow you to the sell them if you make them, what other choice does FCA have?

At the risk of making your head explode, why wouldn't they slap a Jeep emblem and grill on a RAM truck to get that? :p I know why that is a bad idea, but you know some people in management, especially the Italian side, would come up with that solution.

17. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Professor Bob Sheaves gave a seminar of that very topic here at Allpar, a few years ago.

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

First, Ram would have to have a truck of the right size. They are looking at CAFE and I don't think they want to go there. And besides that, truck production appears to be capacity constrained, though I suspect they are actually looking at Jeep rebadging as a side project in case F-150 takes off, as it appears it will. Remember, F-series outsells all covers even when it's clearly inferior in every metric, so it should do very well indeed when it has best in class payload and gasoline-engine economy.

Some would argue the Power Wagon is pretty close but they already sell those as Power Wagons.

I lost track of the thread and thought you meant four door Wranglers not pickups.

I don't think what people want is a Jeep-badged pickup. I think what people want is a Jeep pickup. Note the difference.

19. Bob, that is on me. I thought I read somewhere on here that the body was going to made narrower. I apologize.

20. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

The body will. The tub won't.
    The change is on fenders (plastic) & mirrors narrow. The seating areas won't change in packaging.

#920 TheMan, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.