Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

... and the keys?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by Dave Z, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The 2013 Dart has a “IGNM” module — it acts like a real key but it's electronic, with a fat plastic wedge you turn in the traditional looking ignition switch.

The owner’s manual says you can make a spare key by going to the dealer, does anyone know if they still have a process to “DIY”?

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

No. They did away the DIY option of programming additional keys in 2010 due to security concerns. We were able to program an additional key ourselves for the 2009 Journey we had, but it is not an option for the 2010 Journey we now have. If you need/want additional keys programmed you have to visit your authorized dealer or possibly an authorized locksmith.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

OK. Thanks. Authorized locksmith, eh?

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Some locksmiths will pay the money to get certified, have access to the PIN database and then get the equipment that lets them create keys for newer cars.
    It's not cheap for them to do. But they can still be lower price than the dealer.

Doug D likes this.
  5. AdminDave

Staff Member

Yes, I would think so - and faster, too.