AF: And the switch to electrification moves on | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And the switch to electrification moves on

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Fast Eddie, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

They were probably looking for an excuse — Germany is notoriously protective of its workers. There are a lot of unnecessary jobs over there.

Bearhawke, jclick and Tony K like this.
  2. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Excluding models that differ only in suspension height or exterior styling, I counted about twenty-six body-styles there across 15 nameplates! I pity the dealerships that have to source test-drive cars for customers!

And there is no way on earth that all of those variants are paying for themselves.

Audi also had some pretty big spending issues: It was widely reported that making the A4 Avant (wagon) out of the basic A4 cost an extra 60% of the original car's budget. Now that's probably justified when you look at the sales mix for the two, but I'd have argued that they should have started with the wagon, as it's the big seller, and then cut it down cheaply to make the sedan.

pumadog and ScramFan like this.
  4. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

When electrics get to ten percent of the market I will pay attention. For the city dwellers electric may work, but this rush for trucks is questionable.

Bearhawke and wtxiceman like this.
  5. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

As a local delivery vehicle electrics would be fine while stuck in New Jersey traffic jams. I would like to find a way to pay for a Tesla. Anyway I beleive operation in snow has to be proven, stainless is one plus. From what I understand interrior heating will not be an issue.

6. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Just remember batteries lose charge in cold weather...so range is going to be less than in the summer.
    I haven't seen anything on Tesla's and how much they lose operating in NY/NJ during the winter. Maybe its minimal....but I think I like the Hybrid approach Pacifica took.

cdjr77 and tlc like this.
  7. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

It's negligible. Norway is Europe's largest EV market and isn't a country known for its mild winters. They seem to be doing okay with EVs.

All lithium batteries produce heat when discharging - actually the biggest challenge in EV design is how to dissipate this heat safely without using up valuable vehicle space. The problem is that at minus twenty or so, the batteries are too cold to provide enough current to get going. That's why every single EV also has a lead-acid battery on board - for cold current, you just cannot beat lead-acid cells, which is why they've survived so long in ICE vehicles despite their high weight.

So, a lead-acid battery provides a "pilot" power source that warms up the Li-ion packs, which then provide enough current to get the vehicle moving, which eventually generates enough heat to keep the whole array warm.

So yes, outright performance is impaired in the cold, but only for the first ten to twenty minutes of driving until the battery array has reached operating temperature. So, it might take you two seconds to pull away from standstill with a ton of cargo instead of one second, but that's about it.

Ryan and jerseyjoe like this.
  8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Unlike in the past where the US would lead the rest of the world forward, electric vehicles will be slow to catch on here. There are many reasons as to why it will be this way. It will happen here in cities first, then branch out later. Almost like urban electric rail at the turn of the 20th century.

wtxiceman likes this.
  9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

And how quickly would/will that happen without regulations favoring such growth?

sickboy and tomit like this.
  10. Adventurer55

If battery life continues to grow maybe sooner then some realize.

11. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

We already suffer brown outs, remember this when your AC gets shut down.

JavelinAMX and plymouth1 like this.
  12. Adventurer55

All across the midwest and northeast many many factories have closed. These plants used great amounts of electricity. I find it very hard to believe that consumer use has taken up all of that industrial use. I'd say the reason for brownouts California not withstanding, have more to do with an ancient powergrid. Utility companies want to bill consumers ahead of construction of new plants and grid work so they can keep profits .

voiceofstl likes this.
  13. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

First folks complained about oil profits, now it will switch to power company’s. There is no free lunch.

danbek and wtxiceman like this.
  14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I can't speak for other areas but here in Virginia power providers are heavily regulated and rate increases/decreases have to be approved by a state board. The power companies can't just increase rates whenever they want.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  15. Adventurer55

Well I'm glad Virginia has a state board with teeth. I lived in Ohio for 53 years, PUCO basically was a rubber stamp for utilities. My grandfather used to get so mad at them for approving basically anything the power companies wanted.

16. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Yup..and windmills kill birds and bats, solar takes up a huge amount real estate and you need large batteries for cloudy days and night time.
    It might be that fuel cells are a better answer than batteries for future green vehicles.