Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Comparo Win - Honda versus Chrysler (AutoGuide)

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Hemidakota, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:12 AM.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Honda-Odyssey-vs-Chrysler-Pacifica-00003-679x453.jpg

2018 Honda Odyssey vs 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Comparison Test

...The Pacifica beats the Odyssey on those two last points, in particular, feeling peppy and eager to drive, even in corners, although the engine and ride might not be as refined. However, the Pacifica’s interior also felt and looked more luxurious, with those dual screens representing a huge appeal for kids, and second-row seats that not only stow, but also flip out of the way for third-row access, making the best use of all that space that minivans promise. Aside from Chrysler’s reputation for questionable reliability, my other main complaint is that the Pacifica can get really pricey, hitting over fifty thousand dollars fully loaded (as tested, this model would cost $50,120 including $1,095 freight in the US or $61,595 including $1,795 freight in Canada), so it’s hard to accept paying that much for ANY minivan, even one as luxurious and well equipped as this.

After spending the better part of two weeks with these two minivans, the Chrysler Pacifica is the one my family wanted to keep.

STORY LINK: 2018 Honda Odyssey vs 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Comparison Test - AutoGuide.com News (at http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2018-honda-odyssey-vs-2017-chrysler-pacifica-comparison-test )

somber, wtxiceman and TripleT like this.
  2. TripleT

Level III Supporter

I spent a week with one and it is Truly a great product, and astoundingly better then previous, to point where is difficult to explain..

You just have to experience it sort of thing,

somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  3. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

I'd say the main thing I've notice is its quite a bit wider than the old T&C. So much roomier inside and more inline with what Honda has been selling. It also is quite nice inside in materials and color choices...more like a designer interior than the standard mono color so many have gone to.
    Only knock I have on the 2 rentals I had was the road noise and the crap Kumho tires they had that offered zero traction in the wet.

4. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Road noise to pertain to what? Was it the tires? Wind noise? Any rattling of parts?

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It’s been a close battle between the two, glad Pacifica won this one.

Erik Latranyi, somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Indeed. I wonder if the second stop sale on Odyssey in the last year for problems with the second row seat safety is impacting them? After all, that's most likely where your car seats go and kids sit. Honda's have serious issues at times (like every automaker), but they don't seem to get much attention in the media....

7. valiant67

Level III Supporter

FCA seems the excel at selecting crappy OEM tires, especially noisy ones that ruin otherwise quite interiors.

8. valiant67

Level III Supporter

As I understand it, that affected the 2017 and earlier vans, but not the 2018. But then, people tend to believe Honda will willingly fix a problem, a benefit not afforded to FCA (and there is evidence that is sometimes true).

Erik Latranyi, somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

I still say the minivan is the best all around vehicle on the planet. It's good to see FCA US dominate the market that they created.

10. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I long for the day when we don't see stuff like that written about Chrysler. I know it's anecdotal, but the Dodge vehicles I've owned (7 so far) have been very reliable. I wish FCA could do something to improve the perception.

I've noticed that as well. From what I've read, Odysseys have had a lot of transmission problems - far more than Grand Caravan. But I hear people warning others away from Grand Caravan because of "bad transmission problems", then these same people recommend the Odyssey.

11. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

Tires...no wind, no rattles. Not much better than the current Odyssey IMO.
    Certainly not as quiet as my Durango or a JGC with respect to tire noise.
    My only disappointment. Not sure better tires would reduce it all that much either.

Upside is the stereo in both rentals was Excellent!!!
    Better than my Citadel Alpine system by a lot. Again IMO.

Hemidakota likes this.
  12. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

You and me both man, I get so sick of seeing the same old "beware of Chrysler (FCA)!" sentence written over and over and over again...

That second bit you mentioned drives me up the wall. "If I hear ONE more comment like that!" Haha.

BASONE88 and somber like this.
  13. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Hopefully the new trannies are better than the 6 speed they use in the GC . Frankly it's the worse shifting auto I have ever owned .

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I have never liked any automatic transmission I've ever owned, but our 2011 Grand Caravan 6 speed has been solid - not pleasant, but solid. We only have a little over 100K miles on it, but it's given me no reason to believe it will fail anytime soon.

UN4GTBL and MPE426HEMI like this.
  15. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

It is by far. I have a 2008 model and I keep laughing when I hear the dog clutch engaging. Amazing, who in the well thought of using this device.

16. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

When Forbes thought of to apply its own idiocy in the world of a vehicle recall research, I was the first to point out the difference of 1500, 2500, and 3500 models when it came to safety recalls (combined into one truck and then try to compare with other trucks). The journalist blamed Dodge as being the first with the most recall. Funny thing though, the Tundra, light-duty truck when comparing that year model with the Dodge Ram 1500, had more recalls. Privately, I told him, he needs to learn to research and ask questions from those who knew the subject very well and find time in retaking MATH 101. We all have access to the same DOT database and can count vice in skewing numbers.

Then I went to add his own lack of judgment concerning praising a brand, noting his love for Honda, I showed one single model for that same year, the enormous amount of TSB that was issued (Accord). Then compared it to a Dodge vehicle...some of which, had three to four revision since they failed to get it right. LOL

I am not advocating FCA have flawless vehicles, we know this for sure. But people need to stop living a perception that does not exist.

wtxiceman, MJAB, UN4GTBL and 5 others like this.
  17. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

FORBES has its own problems. I constantly see top 15 cars to avoid from Forbes and the Wrangler is on the top of the list citing harshness and road noise. Well no crap! Its and offroad convertible.

18. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I have heard this b4...My 2016 caravan 6 speed has been smooth as silk so far.. Its been the BEST shifting auto I have owned.

19. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Definitely!

somber likes this.
  20. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I’ve seen this before. Those idiots don’t even know what that type of vehicle is. You don’t buy a Wrangler and expect it’s on road manners to be that of a luxury car, just as you don’t take a luxury car off road and expect it not to bottom out! I’ve even heard people who own them say it. And they are mostly the one’s who didn’t even know what they were buying, just that they look cool or the neibour had one, so they got one too. Some foolishness like that.

#20 MPE426HEMI, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    UN4GTBL likes this.