Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another gas-electric vehicle announced: this time a Ford F150

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by aldo90731, Nov 30, 2017.

1. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Hybrids are appearing in unexpected places: on a Chrysler minivan a few months ago; yesterday it was announced on a Jeep Wrangler, and today today Ford F150 at the LA Auto Show.

This confirms our position that, from consumers' perspective, hybrids offer more benefits than either gas or electric power-train can offer on its own.

But for hybrids to stick, automakers will need to shed the perception that hybrid technology is just about saving fuel, and demonstrate that it can do much more.

How Ford plans to market the gasoline-electric F-150

#1 aldo90731, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    BobbiBigWheels, link3721 and dakota21 like this.
  2. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I don't get the animosity towards hybrids. If they help with low end torque as well as fuel economy/emissions, it seems like a no brainer to produce them. I love the "use your truck as a generator" angle. Much more convenient for job sites than hauling extra generators.

I'm interested to see what the Wrangler does with a hybrid, though it likely won't keep me from going with the diesel.

somber, BobbiBigWheels and aldo90731 like this.
  3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Hybrids have earned a bit of a stigma, largely thanks to the positioning Toyota gave them, primarily with Prius —and its high propensity to attract clueless drivers.

Now the average car shopper associates “hybrid” with self-absorbed drivers slowing down everyone else in the passing lane, with self-righteous attitudes, etc. None of which have anything to do, really, with what the technology itself can truly offer.

somber and link3721 like this.
  4. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

The hybrid is the most sensible vehicle to buy today, if you're wanting to reduce gas consumption, emissions etc. If they can be purchased for a reasonable price.

5. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I tend to associate that more with "Prius" than "hybrid" myself, but that's only because I know there's actually a bunch of other hybrids or there. Thought being that if you're buying the hybrid version of a car, at least you're trying to stay away from the atrocious Prius styling and not trying to make a statement.

somber and aldo90731 like this.
  6. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

I'd love to see a Hybrid-Eco Diesel combo.

As long as you can create a Hybrid that is not intrusive to day to day driving (not unlike the implementation of "Stop/Start" technology) it's a no-brainer IMO.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Around here, there are two types of Prius drivers. Those that hyper mile (to some extent) and then there are those who definitely put the pedal to the medal. Last night after attending the local Christmas parade, I had one pass me at a pretty good clip (at least 10 over the limit) while I cruised at just over the limit - this was after we got out of town in a rural area and were headed home. I'd say there are far more non-hyper milers than hyper milers.

8. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Active Member

I think the animosity comes from the fact that they add cost, complexity and weight to vehicles, and are being forced on us by onerous government regulations rather than market demand. Up to this point, I don't know of any example that truly makes economic sense from a consumer perspective.

9. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

You don't think the Pacifica Hybrid makes economic sense from the consumer's viewpoint? Compared to the regular Limited, the Hybrid Limited retails for $1300 more ($44995 vs. $43695), but gives you 33 miles all-electric range and 566 miles total range. To me, the Hybrid Pacifica seems like a bargain.

10. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Active Member

That does sound economically feasible. A difference of only $1300 is manageable. In most cases it's $4 - 5000 and takes way too long to recoup the cost. I do recall that Lincoln offered a hybrid MKZ for the same price as it's non hybrid for a while. That would make sense too. It's easier to absorb the cost on more expensive vehicles.

somber likes this.
  11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The price difference of the Chrysler Pacifica standard vs. hybrid is "artificial".
    The cost of the additional parts is >>>> greater than that.

Good for the customer anyway :)

aldo90731 and somber like this.
  12. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

I had been wondering about that - it looked to me like Chrysler was giving us a great deal on it. Thanks for the confirmation.

13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Ford actually announced this earlier this year at the NAIAS in Detroit...

aldo90731 likes this.
  14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed.

The challenge for automakers now is to how market all those benefits hybrid technology brings to consumers, beyond saving them money in fuel, so that they are willing to pay more for it. Paying more money to save money in fuel, alone, is a non-starter to consumers who behave rationally.

For example, in addition to saving fuel, hybrids offer owners the convenience of having to refuel less often (which Pacifica offers and is of benefit to busy parents), of extended driving range (which JL will offer and is of benefit off-roading), of cleaner emissions (which Toyota offers and is of benefit to the environmentally conscious), electric assist can deliver additional power without adding the weight of much larger motor (which Porsche and Ferrari offer, and is of benefit to the performance enthusiast), etc.

It is going back to addressing the old “Whats in it for me?” question, so consumers are willing to pay extra for that benefit.

#14 aldo90731, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    somber, Erik Latranyi and MJAB like this.
  15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Goes to show, that unless it was shown in Los Angeles, it didn’t happen... :D

#15 aldo90731, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    bguy likes this.