AF: Another Hellcat on July 2nd? | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Hellcat on July 2nd?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by hmk123, Jun 29, 2020.

1. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

This is the same tired story that has played out since Sergio spent $6 billion on Alfa rather than 6 new models for Chrysler and Dodge (at $1B in development/launch each). Folks, capital has ALWAYS been limited. The problem for FCA is that the $6B on Alfa hasn’t produced a return on investment or stable cash flow. No model produced has hit sales targets (either internal or external analyst benchmarks) which means that the business model HAS to be failing. The Maserati CUV hasn’t taken off either, and the Ghibli was a band-aid that got the engine the 300 should have. When investments fail to generate returns, it means there’s no cash to invest in future models within the portfolio.

Sergio and crew made a massive mistake, and there is no recovery short of the PSA merger.

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

^^^ this!

Internal targets appear to have been overly optimistic, leaving product launches in a permanent state of disappointment. This has been true of 200, 500L, 500X, Pacifica, Alfa Romeo, 124 Spider, eTorque motors, JL and JT: MSRPs AND sales targets were set too high, resulting in huge discounts, unmet sales targets, or both.

One exception may have been DT, although anything pretty much goes in the full-size pickup market as long as the volume is there.

3. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Jeez FCA, 4 Sports, 2 Willys, 2 Saharas, and 2 Rubicons in one screenshot!
    Why not Sport, Limited (Sahara) and Rubicon, each with optional trim packages, instead of a trim level for everything?
    Or if you want to be crazy, Sport, Limited, Overland, Rubicon, Rubicon Summit
    Those trim levels would speak for themselves and should be obvious what they're intended for just by suggesting the names. And would probably make sense to anyone @ FCA reading this too.
    Sport: Base model
    Limited: Color matched grille, remote start, heated seats, etc. standard
    Overland: Fully loaded non-Rubicon trim
    Rubicon: Off-road base model
    Rubicon Summit (or just Summit): Fully loaded leather etc. Rubicon

Edit: to make it clear; each would have an optional Altitude (Black trim and wheels) package, North package for Sport to add remote start, heated seats and heated steering wheel, etc. Color-matched hardtops only available on Limited and up. Hard top (and other top options) optional on all of them.

4. aldo90731

Yup. Actually, Black and Tan is also a Sport, and Freedom, Sahara Altitude and North Edition are all Saharas.

Jeep uses Overland as its well-equipped trim level. In fact, it used Overland instead of Sahara on Gladiator. Sahara is such a recognizable name in Wrangler circles that FCA was a bit stuck with the name. A unique wrinkle among Wranglers is that the most capable trim is not necessarily the most appointed.

5. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

This is why I suggested the Sport, Limited or Sahara, and Overland names for non-Rubi models. I think it would be a billion times less confusing *AND* brand-consistent, so that someone buying a Wrangler that has, say, a GC in the garage as well, can understand where they're buying into. Overland can be the fully-loaded non-Rubicon model, then have Rubi (costing less but base model) and Rubi Summit, because Summit is the top-line GC and would be by far the most expensive Wrangler being essentially an Overland but with Rubicon suspension and off-road bits.

6. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Rubicon Summit = Rubicon with body color bumpers, mirrors, door handles, and other pieces from the High Altitude, including the quilted seats? I like that idea.

7. WXman

WXman Active Member

I agree with this 100%. It's the same way with Grand Cherokee. An enthusiast like me who follows Jeep religiously has trouble sifting through the differences between all those models. I can't imagine what a new prospective buyer is thinking. And don't bother expecting salesmen these days to learn all these trims in and out. It's just ridiculous. I don't see how this can be financially helpful for FCA and it surely is not helpful to consumers.

aldo90731 likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Yeah, it’s discouraging. I used to follow Wrangler pretty close, too. But I can’t be bothered any more. Despite all the fancy badges and stickers, trims and editions mean squat now.

And FCA keeps making changes every few weeks. Someone over there has gone insane.

9. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Almost feels like most consumer oriented companies feel they need to follow the "release news cycle" of the App world we live in? I know of the advantages of incremental development but I feel there is a danger we get "addicted" to change too much which is probably not a good thing. Personally I really liked it that there were very few options for my 2000 Chrysler 300M.

aldo90731 likes this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

2021 Grand Cherokee no longer offers Altitude as a standalone trim. Altitude Appearance is an available option on Laredo X and Laredo X includes all content of the current Altitude.

I'm betting the all-new model will slim down the lineup to Laredo, Limited, Trailhawk, Overland, and Summit, with appearance packages for each.

11. aldo90731

Yep. Part of the task in creating trims and editions is to build a degree of equity into those names. Sort of like a sub-brand, This is the entire point of issuing special badges and stickers for trims and editions. There are some legendary sub-brands out there: AMG, M, SRT, Shelby, Hellcat, Rubicon, GTI, S, etc. There are other less recognizable but still very valuable sub-names like Type-R, Si, TRD, GT, SS, Overland, Trailhawk, etc. Automakers spend time and dollars helping consumers associate specific images to these names.

But this state of permanent flux shoots in the foot the very efforts to build equity into these names --i.e., they become diluted.

12. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

They have brought all the flash and flare of the aftermarket into factory production. This has also contributed to the insane high price of modern cars as they are all comimg with alloywheels, body kits, lighting, scoops etc etc all from factory now adays. And they're also probably gaining big corporate style profits on all that crap too.

13. aldo90731

I still fail to see what FCA thinks it gains by flooding long-in-the-tooth models with trims and special editions.

Besides, JL is only in year 3 out of 10.

14. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Don't know about JL, but take rate is very high on black appearance packages for Grand Cherokee. I'm not seeing the stats on that from FCA anymore, but I remember it being high.

15. aldo90731

It all comes from competitive pressures, though. Offering a well-equipped vehicle with steel wheels would get crucified in this day age.

OEMs can justify including certain options at little additional cost through standardization. This is why Neon made AC standard. And it worked wonders for Dodge/Plymouth in positive publicity.

16. aldo90731

That is fine. But that does mean FCA has to keep adding special editions and trim levels every so many weeks?

17. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Get ready for another one. 80th Anniversary Edition.

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. aldo90731

LOL! Those are expected of Jeep by now...

However, we should worry when Jeep starts offering a 79th Anniversary Edition... :D

Ryan likes this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

20. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Yes just sucks if you're one of the few who don't want a loaded or flashy car. Not much out there to shop for.