Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Mopar Pro Stock Driver leaving

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by Beentherebefore, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Mike

danbek, Mopar7171 and Smitman like this.
  2. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Thanks for sharing what you see in National Dragster. I just wanted to let everyone know that Mopar is bragging on their Sportsman racers.

Mike

danbek likes this.
  3. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Forward me the email. Hit me up on PM and I will give you my email addy.

Mike

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Thanks for the video. Notice that there's nobody in the stands so I'm wondering if this was an official NHRA event where records could be set. Nevertheless, it could bode well for the future if Geoff Turk turns close to that at an official record setting event where the car will be torn down and inspected for legality and weight etc. IIRC, at the last Factory Stock event that NHRA held, Geoff Turk qualified 3rd with an 8.12 but got beat in the first round. I'll keep my eyes on the records page on the NHRA website and certainly let everyone here know if/when he officially sets the record. If he picks up just a little more, he could be the first NHRA Stock class car officially into the 7's. That would be front page news!

Smitman likes this.
  5. stroudtom

Ad-Free Member

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Is that time slip for Turk's Challenger or Skillman's "Brand C" which is what it says on the top of the slip? The NHRA "Fall Classic" should be one of those meets where you can set a record if you can pass tech inspection. Maybe the car didn't pass on some technicality or maybe, with the stands empty, it wasn't the proper time for setting records (?). Or maybe, like I said earlier, NHRA just hasn't processed it through their official certification yet. I'm keeping an eye on their Natl records page.

#26 Beentherebefore, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  7. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Ryan Skillman Chevrolet is a sponsor of Lucas Oil Raceway. The Fall Classic at Indy is a NHRA Division 3 event.

I would not have posted the information if it was not legitimate.

Mike

stroudtom likes this.
  8. Smitman

Smitman Active Member

#28 Smitman, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2017
  9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yes, a Divisional event is one of those where records can be set.

I'll keep checking the NHRA Natl records page. You'd think that they would have updated them by now. I'll give them a little more time and then I might write to them to complain that their website isn't being kept up. I was already p*ssed that they took the records page out of "National Dragster".

If Geoff Turk (and some of the other FSers that you said are coming) are running that well, I'll now be expecting to see some of the top "Brand C" racers being quickly put on their trailers.

#29 Beentherebefore, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Volunteer likes this.
  10. stroudtom

Ad-Free Member

Turk is running at the NHRA Cajun Open this weekend for those interested. No Problem Raceway. Let's hope a 7.99 pass happens!

Mike V. likes this.
  11. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Holy S*** that was sweeeeet!

12. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Hopefully the DA is killer and that Challenger sets the whole Factory Stock world upside down and on fire!

Mike

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I haven't even seen anything on the NHRA website about it. That might be my fault as I'm still having trouble navigating their new format. Can you give us an update on Sunday night or Monday?

A National Open used to count for divisional points and NHRA National records but I don't know whether it still does anymore. Kevin Helms is 22 points out of the Stock championship but I don't know if he has used up his eligible races or not. NHRA has not posted the final standings for the year so I assumed that there was still a race or two outstanding. This might be the one.

14. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

A coupla' hundreths would be fine for now. We don't want the Mopars to be handicapped in Factory Stock competition next year.

15. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

[​IMG]

Beentherebefore likes this.
  16. Smitman

Smitman Active Member

He ran a best of 8.13 last night. Had lots of trouble getting the car to hook. One pass he had a hard right move to the wall, but drove out of it.

Beentherebefore and Mike V. like this.
  17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Any updates?

18. stroudtom

Ad-Free Member

No 7.99, he's got the power but track just wouldn't let that happen. He mentioned Eric Cunningham, SRT engineer was also helping at the track.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  19. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

He only would need an 8.09 to cover David Barton's record. The 7.99 would sure bring some bragging rights. Ford had full page spreads in ND a few years ago when the were the "first legal Stockers" into the 8's.

Smitman likes this.
  20. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

If A.J. is wrong about one thing, (I do mean IF), it would be that (Mopar) fans would not get 'excited' about watching 'factory stock' - if Mopars were there AND speeds were under 200.
    Well, I for one would much rather see a Street-Legal Challenger running between 150 and 190, after picking up front wheels, than I would see a current (210 mph) 'custom-bodied' (whatever brand).
    Pro Stock needs to go back to the 100% factory body shapes and dimensions of the 'good old days'. Some of you must remember the late-eighties when (Darrell) Alderman campained the Dodge (Daytona?) which, as you ALL should know, was a front-driver so it had to be converted to RWD. (duh). Obviously (NHRA) relented and instituted a rule-change, or, the Mopars would have been OUT of PS from that day on.
    Now, about not having any fast categories to watch (besides Top-Fuel and Fuel Funny-Car)? - - do not forget about the Alcohol classes. TAD and alcohol funny cars are fun to watch - with the latter's speeds up to 280 mph. And, there are less engine failures and, the A-fuel class similar to Top Fuel but no 'blowers' - - and lots of qualifying action and surprises.
    I shudder to think what Ronnie Sox's Hemi-Colt would look like (under today's PS rules). (sigh)

#40 Volunteer, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Smitman and danbek like this.