Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Mopar Pro Stock Driver leaving

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by Beentherebefore, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Just a 'friendly' question about your 'signature' - - - did you have a '47 Dodge (truck) OR a '47 Fargo?

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

IIRC, there were other FWD conversions allowed too, so it wasn't just a concession to Mopar. Wasn't the Olds Calais a FWD conversion?

Speaking for myself, I have always preferred the stock bodied categories over the others and have been following them for over 50 years. I agree that many fans will settle for 20mph less across the finish line for PSers if the cars looked more like showroom stockers. I'll watch the Fuel classes just for the spectacle but don't care much for the alcohol classes. They are all pretty much a Hemi spec series anyway even though NHRA no longer refers to them as CHRYSLER Hemis.

Smitman likes this.
  3. Smitman

Smitman Active Member

He mentioned that he is going to try to catch one more race before years end. Hoping he gets that 7 sec pass, but i agree we don't want NHRA to "factor" the car with any penalties. Surely with all the R and R SRT and Mopar have done to get competitive they won't mess with it.

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Thanks for that info. I don't know if NHRA has any more events this year approved for setting national records. The used to support winter events at some of the famous old Calif tracks like Fremont, HMB, and Irwindale but I think they pretty well shut everything down for the month of Dec.now. All those tracks are long gone.

Their national records page currently shows Nov 2 as the last update.

Smitman likes this.
  5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Was the event ever completed? I check 3 drag racing sites (including NHRA) almost daily and I haven't seen any results from this race posted on any of them. Rained out??

6. stroudtom

Ad-Free Member

Has far as I know the event was completed. He could never get down the track faster than a 8.12 and that was the only pass without shutting it down.

7. stroudtom

Ad-Free Member

He hopes to get another shot down south before the year is out.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I was hoping that Kevin Helms could close the gap and win the NHRA Stock championship. He is still showing 26 points behind in second place. IIRC, a National Open can count towards championship points. Do you happen to know if he was there? NHRA hasn't updated their points since Nov. 2 which leads me to believe that they are not quite finalized yet.

9. stroudtom

Ad-Free Member

I do not think he was at the NHRA finals.

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

upload_2017-11-29_5-5-16.png

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Well, if anybody @ KB racing was considering running a "Mopar", this is probably why........

NHRA to allow any accepted engine/body combination in Pro Stock in 2018 (at https://www.nhra.com/news/2017/nhra-allow-any-accepted-enginebody-combination-pro-stock-2018 )

They could use their "Brand C" motors for power. I wouldn't be surprised to see Line build one to try to hype "interest" in the class.

This rule really sucks. After 47 years of following NHRA Pro Stock competition, I'm through with it. It will now be a "Brand C" spec series, intentional, or not, and I sure hope that Mopar doesn't embarrass itself by awarding contingency $$$ for "Mopar bodies". I guess this is NHRA's way of compensating for all the Hemi powered "Chevys" in Fuel and Alcohol Funny Car classes, making them basically Mopar powered spec classes.

caine440 and Volunteer like this.
  12. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The new pro stock rule to allow any brand engine to be run in any brand car is about the stupidest thing they could have done.

The NHRA has zero brains.

Mike

13. Volunteer

Which is what has happened in (CDN) Nascar/Pinty's Series and, as expected, the resulting interest decline - for sure by me. (yet another sigh)

Beentherebefore and Glenn81 like this.
  14. Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Whatever brand the engine is, the body should match in any race car in my opinion!

15. Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Whatever brand the engine is, the body should match in any race car in my opinion!

16. Volunteer

Such a good post - post, I 'liked it' twice.:)

17. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

sorry it took so long to answer...I am in Canada.some discrepancy about all old trucks being Fargo's..it says fargo on the body tag but if I search the vin it says it is a dodge?

Volunteer likes this.
  18. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Active Member

I haven't heard about that rule.... Then again after Mopar pulled out I basically quit watching NHRA I was a big Pro Stock fan back in the 80-90's the Scott Geoffrion Darrell Alderman era of pro stock was the best IMHO..... Now I can see why all the major players have left Mopar and Ford leaving ole Chevrolet in their wake

Smitman likes this.
  19. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

They just implemented in the rule and apparently ford has a car waiting to come back out for prostock

20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Powered by Ford??? I did see where one of the drivers said he might run a Mustang body because he thought that it had the best aerodynamics. Ford is not going to support one of their vehicles powered by a "brand C" motor. They dropped support for PS years before Mopar did because they couldn't get their engines to match the others in performance.

Volunteer likes this.