Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antifreeze problem....

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Scstables, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Scstables

Scstables Member

Okay, this is odd. My car keeps losing antifreeze, but I can't find any evidence of leaks by looking underneath and on the concrete floor of the garage (NO liquid on the floor of the garage). What the heck is going on? I have to keep adding antifreeze every time I drive it (have not been driving it except for to the end of the lane and back to take daughter to school bus stop).

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Idle it in one spot for 10-15 minutes. If nothing drips out, and no leak inside the car, gun it and watch the tailpipe for white smoke - which would be a failing head gasket.

Sometimes there's a tiny gasket leak at the water pump or thermostat and it drips slowly while you drive, but doesn't drip when sitting with engine off. Sometimes a loose hose clamp at the pump can leak like this, and ingest air right after you shut the engine off.

Is coolant dropping in both the radiator and the overflow jug? How does the oil look - milky?

3. Scstables

Scstables Member

Oil looks normal, no milky look. We will have to idle it in one spot for 10 minutes and see what happens. I don't think any white smoke comes out when I gun it as I have never noticed any.

4. Scstables

Scstables Member

We did all the tests, found no leaks, and the water pump is solid with NO wetness anywhere. There is a lot of rust in the system, so I would assume we need to flush it. What is the best way to flush it, and how much green antifreeze do we put back in it? Thanks.

And NO white smoke when we gun it. :D

5. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

I just drain it, refill with water and run it, them dump it and refill with 4 qts of pure antifreeze (there is always some water left in the block to mix with it), then the rest with a premix of 50/50. It holds 9 quarts total in the cooling system, if it's a 4-cylinder.

6. Scstables

Scstables Member

Yes it is a 4 cylinder 2.5 liter. Thanks!

7. Scstables

Scstables Member

Daytona will be going to the shop on Monday. I have stopped driving it after it left a huge puddle of antifreeze in the store parking lot today. Managed to get it back home (had extra antifreeze water in the car with me). My dad thinks there is a blockage some where. Guess I will know Monday evening.

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Could be a rotted freeze plug, or could be a rotted line that goes from the thermostat housing to the intake manifold in the back; or other hose connections.

9. Scstables

Scstables Member

It was a thermostat!! It is working normally now :)

10. Scstables

Scstables Member

Okay, what is going on here. It says I cannot start new topics, nor can I reply to other topics any more. What is up with this????

11. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Your avatar says" Invalid E-mail - contact admin".

12. Scstables

Scstables Member

Yes, I fixed that. But it still says it? Who is the administrator?

I need an admin's email addy as when I click on the link here it tries to open up windows live which I do not use, I use GMAIL. So if I don't get in touch some how with an admin, my account is history in a day!!

13. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

It seems that your email is invalid. Shoot me an email with your correct address and I'll fix your account.

14. Scstables

Scstables Member

Thanks for the fix, Bob!