Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know a lot about Dodge Daytonas?

Discussion in 'Other classic cars' started by Carly, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

The lens looks like it's from something other than an Explorer. But maybe I'm not looking at it right. Regardless, if the vehicle is otherwise in good running condition, it may be best to use it for your transportation needs after the lens is replaced. You'll learn from it (and hopefully also from your grandfather) about vehicle maintenance and repairs before you find the Daytona of your dreams.

The Daytona also had a problem common to Mopars of the era: after so many miles (or years), the power steering fluid would leak from the steering box. Maybe this was one of the problems your Mom had with the dealer. A friend of my brother had such a leak, and when he took it to the dealer, they replaced various hoses and the power steering pump without solving the problem, before finally replacing the steering box. Some dealers are worse than others about this; you might be better off with a local independent mechanic. If you find a Daytona without power steering, you won't have this problem.

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I've had 4 Daytonas, driven them a total of over 610K miles in 32 years, have never had this problem, Don't know anyone else who has, either. Have never had any issues with the power steering.

3. Glopart

Glopart Active Member

Steering BOX or rack & pinion ?

4. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Neither of them likes curbs or large chuck holes.

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

My brother had this problem in an '84 Laser. It was also in an '80s Chrysler I test-drove, but didn't buy. The owner can keep adding fluid, but eventually the box (or rack & pinion) will need replacing.

Carly, does the Daytona have to be strictly an '87 model? I checked the Standard Manual of Chrysler over the weekend, and according to it, roughly 18,000 base model Daytonas were made to 1987 specifications. About 3 times that amount of '88 models were made, with the same body style and interior as the 87s; a few mechanical upgrades were added. You might have a better chance of finding an '88 than an '87. The Pacifica and Shelby models were produced in lower numbers; each came with a Turbo. The Shelby was only equipped with a stick shift, which you might not like if you drive a lot in city traffic.

6. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I doubt the K based cars are any worse than any other rack and pinion equipped cars for racks that leak fluid.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  7. Glopart

Glopart Active Member

Years back I had a leaky rack & pinion in my 88 Pacifica. Did the brake fluid trick that kept it on the road for about another year.
    Finally had to change it out. Not too bad of a job but I was younger then. Always liked these cars. Had an 86, 88 & 91.

8. Davidrad

Davidrad New Member

My first car was a 87 Daytona 2.2 turbo. I've owned 3 since and my brother and wife have owned their share too. They are awesome and simple and engine parts and plentiful since they were used for years. Avoid the 3.0 mitsubishi V6 and you'll be fine. Plan on doing a head / head gasket and timing belt the minute you buy it and the front axles wear out too. Awesome little cars.

pt006 likes this.