AF: Anyone know how the Vinyl Roofs are secured? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know how the Vinyl Roofs are secured?

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by MrChrysler, Jan 29, 2020.

1. MrChrysler

MrChrysler New Member

I am looking specifically to remove the vinyl roof off of a 1991 Imperial and swap it with one from the scrap yard but how is one secured to the car? I would hate to be traveling down the interstate and have my vinyl roof come flying off and potentially casing an accident, any info would help.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

They are glued on.

DC-93 likes this.
  3. mydodgedip

mydodgedip Fleet Owner

Actually if it's the factory vinyl top, not some aftermarket stuff, it has a bunch of bolts/screws/clips holding it on. It would require removing or at least dropping the headliner to get to the ones that hold the leading edge/trim down, removing the rear deck filler to access a line of screws across the back bottom edge, and popping a bunch of clips that go across the from and down the sides.

4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Glued on with trim all the way around... You'll need new material to replace.

5. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

his post says imperial. that sounds like a convertible lebaron how to.

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Imperial might be more of a cap than a traditional vinyl top. If that's the case, you could remove the cap (to which the vinyl is glued) to replace the top. It's been years since I had my 90 Imperial so MyDodgeDip is probably up on what's going on.

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

8. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Is that the same look that I have seen on alot 90's and early 2000;s on buicks and mercurys that to make it look like a convertable top?

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I think that the intent of a leather-grained vinyl top was to make it appear to be a convertible.
    Imperials, 5th Aves and the NYer Landau had special roof treatments, like the landaulette-style Crown roof to make them unique, formal and give them a look of prestige.
    Having a fiberglass shell bolted to the back of the roof, made it easier for production line assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No, the 90's Imperial (and the 80's Fifth Avenue) were based on more pedestrian models (Dynasty and Diplomat respectively). A fiberglass cap covered with a vinyl roof provided a more formal look to the rear of the car while allowing the metal pieces (i.e.: quarter panels and roof skin) to remain unchanged. A new look for less moeny.

11. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

i FOUND IT!...When tbe back half or less of the roof is covered its called a Landau roof.
    When you see the 4 doors that look like a convertable top its called a Cabriolet Roof.

12. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

3M adhesive. You can get it in spray cans.