AF: Anyone know the logic why | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know the logic why

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by dc8flyer, Mar 25, 2020.

1. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Well-Known Member

Chrysler/ Dodge put odometers in the K cars that only went to 99,999 miles?

Hopefully it isn’t because that is what the Vega and Pinto did.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I don't think that was true for all EEK's (Every Extended K-Car). Both my '90 and '92 Acclaims went to 999,999.9 miles.

It wasn't until the late 80's/early 90's or so that that all manufacturers began installing 6 digit odometers (I think). The '82 Omni and '82 Horizon I had only had 5 digits (99,999.9).

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The standard practice was 5 digit odometers, at least in American cars. As some were updated or new products introduced in the later 1980s, the 6 digit odometer became common.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous comments that odometers through the early to mid 1980s only registered 5 digits or a maximum miles to 99,999. In the late 1980s as car prices increased and engine durability and longevity increased did manufacturers add a 6th digit to the odometer display.

Before World War II automobile engines and components did not last that long. It would be unusual for an engine to last 50,000 miles and still be in good condition from a wear aspect. Engine design and lubricants were not all that good.

After World War II and into the 1950s manufacturers were improving engine durability along with better lubricants such as multi-viscosity oils. But the retail marketing did not change. Dealerships wanted used cars that were only 1 - 3 years old for resale. Cars were not expected to last 100,000 miles or more but this was happening with vigilant care. It was not until the 1980s that the manufacturers acquiesced and realized that the rising cost of automobiles was forcing people to keep cars longer. So the 6th digit was added to the odometer.

In the 1980s odometer fraud and setback was becoming an issue and states started requiring sellers to verify actual odometer mileage for the vehicle even if in excess of the mechanical limits of the odometer. So if you sold a vehicle with 31,125 reading on the odometer you had to certify that it was 131,125 or even higher number. I am thinking addition of the 6th digit to the odometer was a means of trying to keep vehicle sale transactions honest and truthful. Of course there were numerous means for unscrupulous dealers to change that leading digit back to 0 to show an odometer reading less than 100,000.

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

To add, the introduction of fuel injection helped as well. FI meters the fuel better than carburetors and far less wasted fuel snuck past the rings to the crankcase.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  6. manybrews

manybrews Well-Known Member

Because the expected life of cars anytime before the 80s was 100k.

7. dc8flyer

dc8flyer Well-Known Member

My '87 must have had some good people on the line that day.

I have either 480,000 / 580,000 miles on this car and still runs good. I demands attention every ten years or so and and each ten years it gets a bit more expensive. Starting this past May all the big items needed attention. The only thing that has behaved without too much attention is the engine. I did have a bad valve and head gasket repair maybe a while back but that's all with the engine.

Parts getting harder to find as well and as expected.

8. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

The term “rolled-over” was a result of an odometer having rolled over 99,999 starting at 0 miles again.
    My 65 Monaco shows 15,000 miles. Yes it rolled-over once. Still a “low mileage” car, considering.

9. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

K cars and other Chryslers' of the era had an "ink smudge pad" on the 5 digit odometers.

It rested on the 9 when brand new and left a smudge when the odometer rolled from 0 to 1 etc.

They were intended to smudge each 10,ooo digit as the odo turned to alert to possible resetting.

The smudge pad usually dried out after a couple of years but the 9 is smudged from the start.

With GM's, the spacer between the odo numbers changed from black to white if tampered with.

Below is an internet pic of a Chrysler odometer with the "ink smudge marks" visible.

Thanks
    Randy

[​IMG]

Bob Lincoln likes this.