Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As the Stomach Churnz

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by AHBGuru, Nov 15, 2017.

1. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

And ... the soap opera continues.

I will say this, and if anyone in Fleet sees this, please take note:

I think the severity of this issue should get the Exploder tossed from all bidding. Ford continues to blame its customers and upfitters, while acknowledging via an internal repair process, that there IS a problem. How can ANY agency justify bidding on these vehicles with a known problem that creates a hazard to life and property ???
    FCA Fleet should vigorously and vehemently demand that the Exploder be disqualified from ALL bids unless and until the Exploder is recalled, repaired, or replaced with a safer product.

Look what happened to the 2002 Intrepid, with its "flaming brakes" - sales tanked, even after Dodge found the cause and admitted to using a poor choice of brake pad, and fixed the problem.

Ford offers free repairs as Explorer exhaust complaints grow (at https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-explorer-carbon-monoxide-free-repairs/ )

Bearhawke likes this.
  2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I know active duty cops from across the nation and; a significant minority of them are not happy with the Utility for the reason stated.

AHBGuru likes this.
  3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Until they have a Durango that is cop certified whats the point?

4. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Funny you should ask. That exact question is answered in previous posts.
    My point, here, is that the Exploder should be disqualified from all bids unless/until the problems are solved. Obviously, the market refuses to solve the problems by itself - plenty of agencies tied politically to Ford ordered the Clown Dic after its tendency to fry cops to a crisp became known, and they continue to order Exploders knowing they asphyxiate cops with CO. So, the only affective way to prevent further deaths and injuries is for FCA to call foul on Ford and its penchant for selling unsafe police vehicles. Certainly, Ford fans won't appreciate that, but one would hope that fleet managers' priorities lay a bit higher than that.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Ford has several million dollars worth of lawyers at all times. Not much we can do about that except to vote with your pocketbook.
    How can there be a 'recall' (customer satisfaction campaign?) when they don't even understand the root cause or have found a common thread yet? Having inaccessible, passive cabin vent doors into the frame rails sounds ludicrous to me.
    I guess that by not allowing recirc under certain conditions and keeping the fan moving fresh air will decrease the problem.

AHBGuru likes this.
  6. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

It may be something as simple as a poorly located fresh air intake.

Regardless, absolutely - Ford is lawyered up on account of the huge numbers of vehicles in question. If it's an engineering flaw that requires substantial repair/replacement, they'll do everything they can to weasle out of it. With the Crown Vic, they cobbled up a heavy, complex fire extinguisher system to cover up the same exact flaw that also caused their Pinto to disappear into a mushroom cloud of smoke and flames. Mopar had that problem licked all the way back in 1981, with a .50ยข piece of plastic as a guard between the fuel tank and rear differential.

But Ford and Chevy carped on Dodge so bad over the Intrepid and the early Chargers and Magnums - justifiably so - that it severely affected sales. Like the old M body, Intrepids were disqualified from bidding in many areas, and the new LX cars through at least 2007 were also crapped on because of lesser issues than the Exploder currently has.
    This is the time for FCA Fleet to step it up and say "Ok, you blankety-blanks, you've disparaged us,now it's your turn!"

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.