AF: Aspen name for full-size sport utility | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspen name for full-size sport utility

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by 55Plaza, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

At the time they introduced it, the interior was very nice. You can't go comparing a 2006 to 2014s.

Until you sat down ...

wtxiceman likes this.
  2. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Hard plastic? PP is not hard... what you mean is uncoated.... Yeah the poorly finished and single process materials abound. Not nice at all

3. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

Not really.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2007 Infinitty qx56
    [​IMG]

2005 ...
    [​IMG]

Bodyguard and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. CDJSalesPro

5. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

Gonna' have to agree. The Durango/Aspen and Rams of the Daimler era probably had the worst interiors of the entire lineup. They were not good for the time - they were a joke compared to the competition even when brand new. The Ford and GM truck interiors of the time weren't all that special either, so that's saying something.

I can't speak for the Aspen, but some friends had a 2nd gen Durango (replaced their first gen Durango), and it had the most uncomfortable leather seats I've ever sat in. Felt like you were sitting on wood. Maybe the cloth seats were better. Their first gen was a much more comfortable and generally nicer place to be in.

As far as comparing a 2006 to a 2014 interior goes, for brands that had already been making top-tier interiors (Audi, Lexus, etc..), a newer interior might not necessarily be "better", just stylistically different + modern gadgets. For example: A clean 1990 Lexus LS400 is still a very nice place to be in. It's comfortable and well put together, just like a modern LS - it's just outdated looking. You cannot honestly say the same thing about a 2006 Durango. Poor materials, poor craftsmanship and a design that didn't age well.

Bodyguard and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

When compared to the same model year Durango, the Aspen was better. I think that we can agree on.

If I look hard enough I can find things to nitpick on any interior.

I can say this, while I would NEVER buy a 2nd-gen Durango, I would entertain the idea of buying the Aspen.

A little bit of styling and material can go a long way.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

The original 5yr plan was to have the next mid-size truck on an minivan derived platform (IIRC). Perhaps they've reconciled plans since SHAP is now part of the production solutions for JGC/JGW. I don't know for sure but could Windsor handle an all-new Durango, Aspen and T&C??? Would be nice to see Chrysler expand its line-up with a full-size luxury-style SUB for the ages...what do you think?

8. MoparMantis

MoparMantis Well-Known Member

I nearly ended up buying an Aspen, but had a hard time getting excited about the Durango at the time. The difference maker for me was the hood and grill.

Stratuscaster likes this.
  9. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

One rumor was that both vehicles coming out of Windsor (if the negotiations go well) would be Chryslers-- Town and Country minivan, and Aspen full-size FWD CUV? That plan would make the most sense to me -- let Dodge keep the RWD Durango and give Chrysler a FWD counterpart, like they are rumored to be doing with the 200 and the next Avenger.

10. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I dunno about that. Just about every dumbler-era interior was awful.

Caliber, Compass, Patriot, Avenger, Sebring, Grand Caravan, Town & Country, Rams, Durango, Aspen, Dakota, Commander, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Liberty, Nitro, Journey, 300, Charger, Challenger, Magnum, "refreshed" PT Cruiser, etc...

None of those vehicles had good interiors during ~2005 - 2009/10

FreeLantz and Stratuscaster like this.
  11. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Assuming that this new architecture can/would only support FWD vehicles...but early plans were to have it support all configuration (much like the LH series that didn't bear fruit). S.M. likes to keep us guessing and the competition, no less!

12. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Agree with you about the lack of soft and good materials, but the look was awesome.

13. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

That Lincoln Navigator interior looks AWFUL. It looks like a bad joke. But it matches the exterior.

The Pacifica was definitely the last daimler era vehicle that had a good interior. And what's funny is, it was also easily the best interior during the DCX regime, and probably for decades before that. The 300m I'd consider to be the second best. Of course the 300m was already settled by the time Chrysler merged with DaimlerBenz. And the 2009 Ram interior began under Daimler, but let's put that aside. After showing a great interior, everything changed, and every interior after that and until MY 2009 was pretty much garbage.

14. CarStar

CarStar New Member

...Further evidence that the Dodge brand (as well as Lancia, I suspect) is on its way out. This
    is also repeat of the consolidation of Plymouth into Chrysler in 2000-2001. Here is how I read it:

*The new 200 is strangely very much like the Dart and could easily have been marketed as a
    Dodge Avenger. It is more in keeping with a sportier Dodge image than a Chrysler 200 replace-
    ment. The new 200 was probably meant to be a Dodge and was switched last minute to the
    Chrysler brand.
    *The plan is in place to take the Durango away from Dodge and switch it to a Chrysler Aspen or
    Chrysler Citadel?... just as the plan is with the Dodge Journey replacement (which may actually be
    the Chrysler Aspen while the Durango becomes the Citadel).
    *The writing is on the wall for Dodge brand since the loss of Ram. Now even the Dodge SUV's are
    being switched over to Chrysler brand.
    *The Dodge Grand Caravan, best selling minivan of all time is being eliminated in favor of the
    Chrysler Town & Country minivan,

Unfortunately, for the consumers, losing the Lancia brand is a good idea but losing the Dodge
    brand is very, very bad idea. This will cost Chrysler customers and market share. Starting with
    this customer who now drives Mazdas.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. joe_

joe_ Active Member

I agree about the Navigator interior. While the quality of the materials might be inferior on the Aspen, its interior is SO much easier on the eyes than the Navigator's. But like people always say, looks are subjective.

I've heard that about the 2009 Ram interior before, but I wonder if and how much it changed between the Diamler design and actual production.

16. longlivechrysler

longlivechrysler The Negative Optimist

Chrysler SUV again?

Sorry if I missed something, but what happened to the Wagoneer?

17. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

I'm going to weigh in on the previous Aspen as in agreement with both Mr. Source and Stratuscaster. The second gen. Durango didn't appeal to me all that much, but I definitely liked the looks of the Aspen. I still see a white one on a regular basis that makes me think that if I had need of an SUV, I'd look for a good deal on a clean, well-cared for Aspen. That Aspen did and still appeals to me. And, as bumonbox mentioned the Pacifica, although I never needed one, I definitely liked the interior of those babies. Also in agreement that the 300M had a pretty nice interior and was overall a great car.

18. CDJSalesPro

The interior of the Pacifica was nice and whole lot nicer than the Aspen.... The quality and feel of the materials used were much better. The Aspen cheated...it simply replaced a couple panels with fake looking wood overlays and called it a day. It was criminal how they ruined the Pacifica. What started out as a nice lux crossover (which perfectly fit Chryslers near lux image) morphed into a stripped bare bones ready for renatl fleet piece of crap.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

Unless Dodge is going to be the volume brand for Alfa. You would have Charger, Challenger, a RWD midsize, and possibly a low cost roadster based off the Alfa/Mazda setup. There is no doubt that Change is brewing.

20. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

I don't think it's fair for us to assess if losing Lancia is good. Since most of us have virtually no familiarity with the branch, and don't really care about it because it isn't here. I admit I am one of those people. I have a hard time caring, 1st because I do care about Chrysler, so it gets automatic priority, and second because Lancia is nothing more than a name to me. However, it's worth trying to look at it from the perspective of fans of the brand who are in europe and more specifically, Italy - because it may serve as a blue print for the future.

The concern about Dodge, as I've said, is not that they are *planning* to kill Dodge. But that they are making decisions that will continue to compromise to strength of the brand. The more Dodge shrinks, the more it is at risk. Look at the Lancia Delta, from what I gather, it has been an overall sales disappointment. This is where it gets frustrating with management. When a car fails to sell, you can either view it as a lack of sufficient potential buyers, or that the vehicle fell short of customer expectations. Is it the market's fault, or is it the car's fault? The question of, is it the market's fault leads to another question, which is it the brands fault, or the fault of product planners? Do people not care about the brand, or are the product planners selecting cars people aren't interested in? Why all of that matters is because when you listen to management excuses, they seem to be blaming Lancia's failure on the appeal of the brand - they aren't taking taking ownership for failing to offer a lineup people want. Since I am not that familiar with Lancia, I will leave that debate to someone else.

Dodge, however, is in a position in which they run the risk of driving towards those very questions. I say "at risk" mind you, an RWD D Sedan, and some other offerings would bolster the portfolio and then could negate the entire argument. BUT, if they do gut out many offerings, then my concern stands. When you are Chevy, a unsuccessful car is just that, one unsuccessful car. When you are a brand with only 3 vehicles or so, an unsuccessful car may mean an unsuccessful brand, and it may be goodbye. Let us simply step back to Plymouth. Did Plymouth die because no one cared about the Brand? Or did it die because it was left with only 3 real vehicles, and a halo vehicle that didn't fit the brand, and no one knew was a plymouth. Not to mention, one of those 3 vehicles was an absolute duplicate of another brand. Plymouth didn't die because that brand had no appeal, it died because they didn't give enough product to justify it. Then blamed the brand for it's failure/

MoparDanno and Bill Sample like this.