AF: August Collectible Automobile magazine | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August Collectible Automobile magazine

Discussion in 'All other classic cars' started by Scrounge, May 20, 2020.

1. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

The August issue of Collectible Automobile magazine has a good article on the '57 thru '59 DeSoto Firesweep, which was based on the full-sized Dodge. It also has a smaller article about the experimental 1963 Chrysler Turbine. And their cover feature is about the 1940 models, which include the Chrysler products. Toward the end, it reminded readers that Chrysler was the 2nd largest manufacturer that year, at roughly 23% of the market to Ford's 20%. GM was the largest, where they'd remain for decades, but they didn't yet have 50%. Excellent photography throughout.

2. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I got mine! Still one of the sexiest cars ever. IMO.
    FA173A94-BFA4-40C4-A66D-6BA3F9B15479.jpeg
    Interesting article. Even though I was in 5th grade when I rode in one I always felt it performed about the same as Dad’s 66 318 Coronet had at the time. Although those 1/4 mile times they claim are pretty decent.

3. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?
    Level 2 Supporter

Agreed, the car remains attractive, though I don't care for the bug-eye headlights. Chrysler kept developing the engine, and was about to put one into production in the early 1980s, but Mopar was then under government control, and the government killed it. See what Bob Sheaves wrote toward the end of this page:

Chrysler turbine engines and cars (at https://www.allpar.com/mopar/turbine.html )

This page includes some pics of what it would have looked like:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/stop-presses-theres-7th-generation-chrysler-turbine-engine-ebay/

Too bad it wasn't produced, it would have been the sharpest-looking car of the decade.

4. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

“Too bad it wasn't produced, it would have been the sharpest-looking car of the decade.”
    I know. As a kid I dreamed of 383 dropped in place of the jet and put in production.