Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian car industry completely collapses..no more production

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Fast Eddie, Oct 4, 2017.

1. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Sad news, Australia had some great locally built cars.

Their aftermarket builds some great ignitions and Engine parts, hopefully they survive.

They're known for their crazy burnout contests!!

And Drag and road racing.

Thanks
    Randy

2. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a shame! The sad results of globalization and cost cutting. While it may look good on the financials, it's devastating to the local economies. I wonder if Canada may be next? and then perhaps the U.S as production simply becomes cheaper elsewhere?

Andy4.7 and tomit like this.
  3. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Canada won't be next.The Canadian automotive industry is much more integrated with its counterpart in the USA: Windsor, Ontario is closer to the city of Detroit than any other FCA plant. Australia's industry was always risky because the domestic market is so small, and the country is so geographically isolated from the rest of the world, that it could be replaced by imports if conditions turned against domestic production.

And conditions did turn. Australia has undergone an enormous inflation in its currency in the last 30 years, with no adjustment in domestic prices, and that makes building anything in Australia very expensive compared to importing it. I remember back in the 1990s, one Australian dollar being the equivalent of about 45 US cents; today it's more like 75 cents, but that's only after a collapse: it has been US$1.00 and higher over the last decade. Thing is, the prices of goods and services in Australia are still framed by the historically low value of the AUD, which is why it costs about 8 Australian dollars for a takeaway coffee in central Melbourne.

4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Sounds like the next generation of Dodge vehicles will be going down to the land of OZ.

con383 and ScramFan like this.
  5. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I place a LOT of the blame on manufacturers not staying with a few basic platforms worldwide. Case in point; the current Mustang platform could've underpinned a new Ford Falcon in both R and LHD. FCA has its LY platform already available in both L and RHD along with offering a V8 option everywhere. GM: that's an especially sad case since it could've built some of the Holden Commodore based models here in North America.

6. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

yep ..... we're in a world of hurt and its gonna get worse, Been out of work for almost two years and struggling to pay my bills.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  7. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

Wow, that's rough. I really hope things get better for you, and fast. I'm going to be praying for you.

8. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

Thank you, The repercussions go deeper With Holden and ford Australia the main suppliers of rhd cars to a large part of the world. Yeah this market is tiny compered to the U.S but it will get bigger !!

Bearhawke and somber like this.
  9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Sadly Holden is going from awesome vehicles like the Commodore and UTE to basic GM FWD vehicles...

Satellite.jpg

Chevrolet SS would have sold better if it would have had the body kit of the Redline.

Satellite (1).jpg

[​IMG]

Now the 2018 Commodore become a rebadged Buick Regal.

ScramFan likes this.
  10. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Ford axed the Falcon and Falcon UTE and basically everyone has the Mustang (which is at least RWD) and the Mondeo (Fusion) to choice from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I would be really worried about the 300 (and to a smaller extent the Charger) if GM got their head out of their nether regions and made the Regal RWD.

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

After watching the video, I stand by my statement. RWD is the make or break difference in markets where sales of contemporary FWD sedans are dropping while RWD sedans maintain or grow sales. I wish the Dodges and 300 could get back into the Aussie market because I think they would seriously dominate.

14. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

An Australian guy on another site I visit mentioned "hooning" played a part in the industry's demise.

Can't talk about it here but a search will give some insight.

Thanks
    Randy

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  15. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Just think ... what if Hellcat's were affordable in Australia

16. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

This is very sad news... thousands of jobs... and very nice cars too.

17. CivoLee

CivoLee Active Member

There have been rumors that the next Mazda 6 will be RWD. After seeing the Vision Coupe concept's RWD proportions as well as them hinting it may become the next Mazda 6, it's conceivable said rumors might have some truth to them...

FCA might want to consider fast-tracking the Giulia-based Dodge midsize, otherwise Mazda might beat them to the market with an affordable RWD midsizer!

18. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

:(
    Darn sight better looking cars than our Taurus :(

redriderbob likes this.
  19. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

That'll be going full circle, the very first gen Mazda 6 predecessor, the 626 started as a RWD model in 1980 before switching to FWD for the 1983 model year.