Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Auctions

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by geraldg, Apr 19, 2017.

1. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I look around at auto auctions and cannot believe what some people are paying for cars. You could buy most for less on the open market.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

That's the beauty of an auction. Sometimes you get bargain, but auction fever can make people over pay.

3. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

When I bid on a car I have a certain limit that I go to after that I walk away.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Yep, that's the way to be a smart buyer.
    But the auction counts on people getting competitive at times, spending more than they would otherwise.

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Some people let emotions get the best of them at a live auction. The only time I bought a vehicle at an auction was through a state surplus silent bid auction more than 20 years ago. A prior inspection of the item(s) is allowed (and recommended). And my bid of $711 (plus fees, but still less than $750 total) for a 1986 Chevy C10 with a V6 was actually the second highest bid, but the high bidder failed to remit payment within the allotted time.

6. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Another thing is your bid a weird amount like 702 instead of 700. Some you can do this and some you cannot.

7. Scrounge

In the Texas surplus silent auction, you can bid any amount that you think might win, but you're only allowed one bid. It has to be in writing, on the form provided, delivered to the GSA before the date and time the auction closes, by mail or in person. I found that going slightly over an exact round number won me more items, so I made it my practice.

8. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Sometimes I will bid someone up just to make sure they pay a good price for it. You can usually figure out who they are.

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

To bid at the local auto auction here, you must have a dealer's license. It's a dealer only auction site.

10. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Where I live we have dealers only and public auctions.

11. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

A couple of things the 2 things I do not bid on are Chevys and pickups , these people are crazy . Also people forget about the auction fees and taxes.

12. Scrounge

I'd have preferred a Dodge truck, but there weren't that many, and those in good shape went for more than I was willing to spend. The ones at the Parks & Recreation Dept. were pretty beat up, and only fit for a junkyard.

I avoid Fords and foreign makes. Make your case for new Fords if you'd like, but I only buy used, and the only 2 Fords I bought used were constantly breaking down. In my experience, Bowties have been more reliable, plus parts are easier to find when necessary. The C10 I bought lasted 8 years, and I sold it for $1000.

13. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Another thing is you always want your car to be at the end of the auction. A lot of people have either left or spent their money.

14. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Was in a couple of auctions this week and all the idiots where out, a few cars I was bidding on went for way to much money, could go on craigslist and find them cheaper with no fees ( where I live private sales are tax free )

15. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Generally speaking wholesale prices for used cars are beginning to drop slightly across the board. But they have been inflated in many cases, since "Cash for Clunkers" took so many cheaper cars out of the market, at the same time as new safety and emissions regulations have pushed new car prices higher. So if anything, they need to come down. It's a long-overdue correction.

16. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Looking forward to the drop. I'm selling my Stratus in a couple of months and will be looking for a replacement in the next 18 months or so.

17. FreeLantz

Level III Supporter

18. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Like I said in the past I will bid these idiots up and then drop it on them, if they are that stupid let them pay for it.

19. FreeLantz

Level III Supporter

So you're a jack [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms]. Good to know.