AF: AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT: CHALLENGER SRT | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT: CHALLENGER SRT

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Morty, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

2. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

People have been testing 392s for 10 years now. What more is there to learn?

3. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

It's good to know how the community outside of north america takes to the vehicles. Car reviews are news, no need to come across as antagonistic or dismissive right out of the gate. Did you read the article to see if there is a new take, or different perspective?

dmcdonald and Morty like this.
  4. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

So, l suppose l have to apologize for posting this. Now you just show me how many long term tests a European magazine have done on ANY US car. Until now, none. As l found it interesting, entertaining and positive, l wanted to share it.

dmcdonald, MJAB, somber and 5 others like this.
  5. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to reading it. Auto Motor und Sport has a long history in automotive journalism and you are right, reading a longterm Test about a car like the Challenger in there is highly unusual....

somber and Morty like this.
  6. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

Yes it is, moreover they were very positive about it. The only complaint really, was wind noise from the passenger door.
    They took it to the dealer, and within an hour or so it was fixed.;)

7. hmk123

Level III Supporter

What is amazing about the Challenger is that it is a product that evokes emotions like a Coke bottle even though it had been gone for decades...

8. F8Demon

F8Demon Active Member

My wife's daily driver is a 2015 Scat pack, drives year round even in Minnesota winters. 72k miles now, not one issue. Just oil changes and recently changed front brake pads.
    Anyone else have intelligence on high mileage 392s?

wtxiceman likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

My 2016 Scat Pack car was a looker —and a cop magnet— but it buzzed, squeaked and rattled like a cheap POS. Among the many things, the dealer found a broken 3rd brake light housing, a loose A-pillar trim cover, a flimsy passenger door armrest, a flapping rear fender liner, a misaligned trunk lid, etc. There was something else I now forget with the C-pillar piece. The sh*tty assembly quality betrayed its $53,000 MSRP.

Unfortunately, once you hear unwanted noises, you can’t unhear them. Having the dealer try to eliminate so many annoying noises was no fun; completely disappointed got rid of the car after only 4 months.

[​IMG]

The unsavory experience pushed me towards a 2018 Fiat Spider: its Japan build quality and much lower price leaves less room for disappointment. And sure enough, 1.5 years later, I still love the little thing.

Glad to hear this publication had better luck.

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

There are at least to importers for Ram and Dodge vehicles in Europe, AEC Europe and AGT, the first in Belgium and the second in Germany.
    They do also the homologation (per single vehicle) and change the needed parts and software (for example the multimedia system). The homologation should be done in Germany since in Germany You can almost homogate anything in a car ... (german always paint themselves as strictly following rules, strange enough there is go and return of vehicles to be homogated in Germany ...).

The two importers also add LPG systems to the RAM 1500 as an option.

I could image that during their inspection they also check and fix vehicles that arrives with some problems.

11. tabutler

tabutler Active Member

12. Morty

Morty Well-Known Member

Maybe they do a proper PDI?:)

This is a picture from a Spanish FCA dealer.

upload_2020-6-23_2-12-22.png

13. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Back in the days when you could still do international travel (seems long ago now) I used to go to Germany once a year. Was always a great sight seeing a Challenger on the road. Once in a while also one of the original 300 sedans/wagons. Here and there a RAM truck or a Charger or even Magnum.

14. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Your Challenger looked stunning! Great wheel/color combo. My LXs have a few rattle issues here and there. Mainly my Magnum but it is also 14 years old now. My 2010 Challenger R/T has actually been holding up pretty well. I really enjoy driving it. And while it is not a 392 it is just still in too good of a shape for me to get rid of it. Maybe I missed my true calling of becoming a cab driver (since apparently these are all based on old German taxis :) ) but these cars just hit a sweet spot for me.

aldo90731 likes this.
  15. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

All my pre-FCA LX cars, a collection of 2005, 2006 and 2007 300s and Magnums, were very well put together, as were my two Challenger SRT 392s.

My 2012 Chrysler 300S, on the other hand, was total sh*t; FCA ended buying it back. And that red 2016 Scat Pack must have been built on a Friday 13th...

hmk123 likes this.