Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autoblog Slams the New 2018 Nissan Kicks!

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by redriderbob, Nov 30, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

Nissan Kicks is a terrible Juke replacement
    It's worse in almost every way

Usually when a car company launches a replacement for an existing model, it's better. It has more power, more space, more efficiency. That's the way things go, but not with the Nissan Kicks, which is replacing the aged Juke. Somehow, Nissan made it worse in every way.

Let's start with the powertrain. The outgoing Juke has a spunky turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine making 188 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque. It might not have been the most efficient, with a combined fuel economy of 29 mpg for the base model with a CVT. But having that power made the Juke more interesting and exciting in a class of vehicles that is frequently underpowered. And the availability of a manual transmission, all-wheel-drive, or high-performance Nismo modelsmeant there were versions of the Juke for enthusiasts and those in cold climates.

As for the Kicks, it shelves the turbo engine for a naturally aspirated 1.6-liter that makes a paltry 125 horsepower and 115 pound-feet of torque. Not only is that significantly less than the Juke, it's nearly the lowest powered vehicle in the segment. Only the base, turbocharged three-cylinder Ford EcoSport has less power at 123 horsepower. But it exceeds the Kicks' torque figure with a total of 125 pound-feet. Plus the EcoSport has a more powerful optional engine.

To continue reading please click on the link below...

Nissan Kicks is a terrible Juke replacement (at https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/30/nissan-kicks-terrible-juke-replacement-opinion/ )

2. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

But it doesn't look like a Juke, so it's automatically better in my opinion. And I don't think they can call it conservatively styled, there are several unique elements of the design over other subcompact crossovers. I think it looks nice.

3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

That powertrain sounds awful, but it seems like it would be easy to go back to the 1.6 Turbo.

Deckard_Cain and DarkSky like this.
  4. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Definitely an improvement over the Juke. Downgrade in the engine, CVT-only, and no AWD make it a no-go for me.

5. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

AWD will hopefully be available at some point. I can't really consider it - or the Toyota C-HR - anything but a hatchback without that option.

6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I can't believe Nissan offers a new CUV without AWD.

All pretenses that this is anything more than a glorified hatchback fly out the window.

7. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Same thing for the Toyota C-HR...FWD only.

DarkSky and aldo90731 like this.
  8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

Kia Soul is the same way too. No AWD.

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn thing looks like a vacuum cleaner and a Nissan Juke mated.

10. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I hadn't thought of the Soul, but it doesn't pretend to be anything but a car (other than the box-like shape)

aldo90731 likes this.
  11. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I'd prefer to drive an enlarged vacuum cleaner if we're being honest. It would probably have more power too.

MPE426HEMI, aldo90731 and redriderbob like this.
  12. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Kia has it listed under their crossover section. Along with the also FWD-only Niro.

13. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed. To me Soul is more a PT Cruiser successor than pretending to be a pocket SUV.

page2171 likes this.
  14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Targeted towards the youth market, yet only the elderly but the Soul.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  15. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

Soul is a good car for folks that miss the PT Cruiser.

16. pt006

pt006 Active Member

After looking at the styling [?] of the cars shown above, I realize that the Pontiac Aztec was way ahead of its time.

17. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

True, my 70 year old mom just bought one. It is so much easier for her to get in and out of than the car she previously had.

18. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

My God: that Toyota C-HR has the be the ugliest car I've seen offered since WW I. The outward visibility is so bad, I'm surprised that it's even going to be legal on the street.

The Nissan Kicks; OTOH, is a MUCH better vehicle IMHO. Thinking about it: it really seems that Nissan's getting its Mojo back since the last few model restylings are more attractive as a group compared to any of their immediate predecessors................

19. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

The Kicks is much nicer to look at, however since it's a model that was planned for Latin America it's much lower cost and less interesting than the Juke.
    However, they'll probably offer it at much lower prices so they'll compete on price. Now they have to bring those other options that are essential in North America.

20. TheViking

TheViking Member

I think Nissan desperately needs to abandon it's current corporate front end look. They obviously spend too much time drinking Saki with the Lexus and Toyota designers.

somber likes this.