Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic Transmission Reman Choices

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by i-d steve, Dec 25, 2017.

1. i-d steve

i-d steve New Member

Hello.
    I'm looking at replacing the auto transmission in my 91 Daytona. There seem to be a number of alternatives out there to buy a Reman transmission from auto parts stores like Rock Auto, O'Reilly, AutoZone and from more specialized transmission reman companies and the price difference is substantial from $1,400 from the auto parts chains to $2,000 - $3,000 for the specialized transmission reman's. For those of you that have gone down this path, what's been your experience and what are you getting for those more expensive remans? Both offer 3 year warranties but the price difference can be substantial. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Steve

2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I have no experience buying one like that, but I did sell a couple back in my Autozone days. I'm guessing from the prices that this is an automatic. If you replace it, you need to make sure you either get a new torque converter with the trans of purchase a new one too. You'll want to flush the lines and the trans cooler on the radiator too. That is unless you bought new lines and a radiator. You want to make sure there's NO TRASH in the lines or the cooler.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  3. Rickorino

Rickorino Well-Known Member

Myself, I have used a local transmission shop for repairs. I wouldn't hesitate at all having a good local shop rebuild my present transmission. I would never consider getting a reman from a large chain such as Autozone, Advance, Oreilly or anyone else. The local shop will warrant their labor for R&R should something go wrong. If you buy on your own and have someone else to do the labor, you likely will have to pay again for labor if the transmission fails under warranty. You get what you pay for.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

At one time, the Mopar reman transaxle has a superior warranty. Just another option to consider.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

3-speed (4-cyl) or 4-speed (6-cyl)? How many miles? What symptoms were diagnosed to indicate that it needed a reman transaxle assembly?
    The 3-speed (A-413) may be rebuildable, but if the 4-speed (A-604) has never been rebuilt or replaced, they would want to install a reman with the updates already done. It would simply be too expensive to replace the individual hard part changes to bring an obsolete A-604 up to present A-604 standards:
    http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/otros/Manual+de+Reparacion+para+Transmision+Automatica (SPIRIT).pdf
    Depending on which A-604 TCM you have, that may be desirable to refresh or replace. Major software improvements were done in 1995:
    http://www.robskorner.info/faqs/tsb/18-24-95.pdf.
    A shop may be reluctant to recondition a 27 year-old transaxle (too tired) and would want to install a fresh reman anyway. It may be the only way that they would offer a warranty on it.
    If the ATF cooler is clogged with debris, they may want to replace the radiator assembly as well. Most of the time, these can't be flushed effectively because of the labyrinth of passages in the cooler. It would be bad if the transaxle failed again after a few thousand miles because of a cooler restriction.
    I have always used Mopar remans. The factory probably no longer offers anything this old, but the part number can be Googled to find what may be still out there and available.
    If the car is going to be kept for at least a few more years, it may be worth putting a quality reman in it.
    I used to see some very poor quality remans with dirt still under the silver paint and stripped bolt holes, etc. It looked like it was pulled from a junkyard, spray-canned and installed. Hopefully these shops have gone away.

6. i-d steve

i-d steve New Member

Thanks all for your thoughts and recommendations. It’s a 3.0L with an A604 with 28,000 miles however, the oil probably wasn’t changed for 10 years, the car sat outside from Sept - May unused. It started making banging noises and missing shifts late last year and this year it started to bang, shudder bang shudder and go into limp mode. Turn off, start up, rinse and repeat. I took it to Chuck Tator (formerly Tator Dodge) who drained it twice, smelled really bad, checked the codes and he recommended either a low mileage junker or a reman/rebuild. I have to believe he knows his craft. So here I am looking for some reasonably safe solutions. It will definitely be tough to find a factory new and a reman from a solid source seems like a good solution. Just need to know who that might be. I’ll keep the car for a while so it will be worth it.

7. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

MOPAR remans have the updates, but aren't cheap. Local shops can mess these up if they aren't doing them right. I've rebuilt one and it'd not that difficult, but does take some more time than a 904 or 727. Solenoid packs are a common fault and can be replaced without touching anything else. You really need to check codes before doing anything to one of these.

8. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If banging and slipping clutches are caught early, there is a chance to save them before they need an overhaul. Sometimes not.
    The Mopar reman is an R4740827AA. It superseded to an AB and then an AC. AC would be the latest part number, but any of the 3 numbers should be OK.
    I see a couple of AA's for sale on eBay. I have not done business with these sellers. They do however, have solid positive ratings. One shows free shipping. One shows in Florida and the other in California.
    You want to check the radiator cooler for flow and flush out any old fluid and debris. Sometimes good flow comes back, sometimes not.
    Good cooler circulation is necessary for the torque converter operation and geartrain lubrication.
    You will also want the TCM to be at the latest and greatest software revision. 1994 should be flashable if it needs it. The latest TCM part number should be 4686606.
    Some remans come pre-filled with fluid. You only want to add ATF+4.
    Your old transaxle core may have some value to a rebuilder or as scrap.

i-d steve likes this.
  9. i-d steve

i-d steve New Member

Thanks so much for the information and recommendations! The car was a gift (I think :) last summer and its only been used as a summer car all these years by the same owner. Spent all summer cleaning out the mouse hotel inside, new carpet, headliner, new tires and rims an assorted parts so I have a ton of sweat equity in it so I think its a worthwhile venture. I'll investigate the options you've identified and do a bit more research and move forward from there. Again, thank you!
    Cheers
    Steve

ImperialCrown likes this.
  10. i-d steve

i-d steve New Member

Do you think a NOS OEM or a Reman is a better choice? The latter will probably have the updates. Thoughts?
    Thanks!

11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Reman is better - should be updated and have a better warranty.

12. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

Don't even think about a NOS that's been rusting for 15 years on the shelf. NOS may be wonderful for body parts and such, but not for engines and transmissions unless they were pickled for long term storage. Which they weren't.