Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autoweek special section on Petty's 1967 season

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Fast Eddie, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Well written by Mike Hembree. Al Pearce usually writes about Nascar in the print edition (which I subscribe to) and is quite knowledgeable about Nascar.

I might point out that, as a close follower of Nascar back in those days, some of those races Petty won were at tracks so small that there was very little publicity at first. Ford won both the Daytona races that year and also both races @ Atlanta. Those were the ones that were shown on TV and got the publicity and big writeups and that's what Ford wanted out of their factory supported programs. What got real interesting was how Ford started to squirm when all the Petty wins began to pile up and he started to get more publicity than they got for their big-track wins (some articles on the Ford reaction on P25 of the main Nascar historical thread). Ironically, all these years later, it is Petty's records from that year that Nascar historians still remember. I doubt that many could tell you about the Ford wins in 1967.

Doug D likes this.
  2. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Richard Petty & Bill Elliott to pace Southern 500
    1:28 PM ET

Two legendary NASCAR Hall of Famers, Richard Petty and Bill Elliott, will pace the field for the 68th running of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Bojangles' Southern 500, scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 3 at Darlington Raceway.

Petty will lead the field in his 1967 Plymouth, followed by Elliott, who will serve as the honorary pace car driver, piloting a Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang pace car, as the field goes green for the iconic race.

Darlington Raceway will be honoring Petty and Elliott during its award-winning throwback weekend as the two legends of the sport are being recognized by the track for two specific moments that helped shape the history of the Lady in Black.

Petty's win in the 1967 Southern 500 turned out to be his one and only victory in the famed Labor Day weekend classic. Petty led an astounding 345 of a possible 364 laps in a dominant victory. Only three other drivers led laps in the entire race - David Pearson (12 laps), Buddy Baker (6) and Donnie Allison (1).

The 2017 season marks the 50th anniversary of Petty's win in a career that culminated with 200 NASCAR Cup Series victories overall. Petty also recently celebrated his 80th birthday on July 2, which was recognized with much fanfare during the Coke Zero 400 race weekend at Daytona International Speedway.

Mopar Jerry likes this.
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Cotton Owens told me in 2011 that Petty won so many in 67 because he didn't have the Pearson-Owens combination to worry about, like the previous season.

I know Cotton was a HUGE fabricator of stories, but there is some truth in this theory.

:cool: