AF: Average Temperature on 225 Slant 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Average Temperature on 225 Slant 6

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Luftwaffles, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Luftwaffles

Luftwaffles New Member

Just got the car the other day (Duster)

When I got out on the road good, the temperature got up to the top-end of the range (not the 250 max, but the end of the little normal range area before it). I freaked out for half a second then it went back down to whatever. I figured the thermostat opened and never had an issue with the gauge showing high after that.

Well, I checked the coolant afterwards and it was like half a gallon low, so I figured whoever I got the car from drained it or did whatever then topped it off without putting the rest in.

Anyway, the car runs fine, there's not smelly coolant smell after driving, and it doesn't appear to be leaking. My question is about average running temperature: when you crank the car and get driving, it never really gets that hot. The gauge shows about a half a pinky-nail past where the normal range area begins and stays.

I got a digital probe thing on the way to check the temps.

Also, I changed the radiator cap for good measure.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Volunteer likes this.
  2. Luftwaffles

Luftwaffles New Member

Also, I attached a generic reference picture of a temp gauge for my car just so you can have a visual of what I mean by "normal range" marks.

3. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

The temp gauges aren't the most accurate things in the world, but that arc in the middle is the "normal range." If the coolant was a half gallon low, it is possible there was an air bubble that worked it's way out. Keep an eye on it to see if it repeats.

4. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Sounds like 'no worries'. You most likely have 19-inch standard core unit. As you drive 'normally' - on level highway, the gauge should be slightly below mid-way point (ie. orange arrow at 11-11:30 position). As you put a load on - like climbing for at least 5 minutes (in warm ambient weather conditions), the needle may go to mid-way. Anything more could indicate 'issues'. A thermostat is only designed to open and close - when specified temp. is attained. If a radiator core is 'restricted' in any way (either internal or external), a thermostat (any temp - 160, 180, 192) will open fully and allow maximum flow. The rest is up to the fan and radiator itself. Point to note also is that a cooling fan is only effective at speeds slower than about 30 mph. There is enough external (natural) air flow at higher speeds to potentially do the cooling - - while the fan basically turns for nothing (if it is mechanically driven).
    If you are concerned about your temp fluctuations then I may suggest you remove the thermostat housing (mounted side-ways) and see what is in there. You may be surprised. Oh, and those hand-held remote/digital infra-red temp 'guns' work like a hot damn. (pun-intended).
    Good luck. (nice car - what year and where do you reside?)

5. Luftwaffles

Luftwaffles New Member

It's a 75. I live in Alabama