Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aw crap - Journey PS hose failures

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Powdered Toast Man, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Was driving my Journey today and out of nowhere it started making a terrible groan/whine sound that's constant and gets worse and changes pitch when the gas is pressed. Called the dealer and they can't get me in until next Wednesday. Hope it lasts that long and doesn't end up having to be towed there!

2. Powdered Toast Man

Confirmed this morning that it's definitely the power steering. PS was intermittent and when I backed up there was a massive red puddle of PS fluid under the car.

3. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Crud! Did a line leak or have you hit anything with the belly of the car? (I hit three full grown raccoons while I was going 65 the other night)

4. Powdered Toast Man

No hits. Out of the blue the noise started. Power steering went out completely by the next day. Still hasn't seen the shop because the dealers are all booked solid until Monday so I have no idea if it's the pump or a line. Based on the whining/squalling sound I'm going to wager it's the pump.

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The pump can be noisy when it is low or out of fluid (ATF+4) due to a leak. It will eventually be damaged and need replacement if run dry.
    The vehicle shouldn't be driven until you know. May be a blown hose or seal?
    The vehicle will probably have to be lifted up to see what happened. Warranty?

6. Powdered Toast Man

It's emitting noise even when reservoir is full. I had parked it since Thursday. I drove it to the dealer's lot today to leave it on the lot and the keys in the drop box so that Service can get to it tomorrow morning while I'm at work (I start work at 5am so bringing it in before work isn't an option). While driving it was making a lot of noise when the steering was placed under any sort of load (just turning the wheel). PS was also choppy and intermittent. I could feel the power assist jerking on and off while turning the wheel.

It's a 2011 so yes, thankfully it's still under warranty. I'll let the dealer sort it out from here.

7. Powdered Toast Man

Just got the call from the dealer. It blew a hole in one of the PS lines. They've fixed it using parts they had in stock but apparently an improved hose is on back order and I'll have to bring it back in once the part comes in.

8. PCRMike

I would also have them look carefully at the pump and rack and pinion assembly in case lack of lubrication caused any metal particles to circulate.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  9. Powdered Toast Man

To add: The dealership commented to me today their exasperation that Chrysler "still hasn't fixed these things". Referring to the Journeys, apparently they are VERY prone to blowing up power steering hoses in cold weather. There is an upgraded part that's apparently in high demand (hence the back order) but we're going into the 6th model year for Journey and who knows if the issue has been corrected on new production runs. Come to think of it, there were an awful lot of Journeys parked along the service bay area.

10. PCRMike

Weird. I asked mine yesterday when I got the oil changed and he said that he hadn't seen it. I am almost on the AL/TN line though. I don't know how far north said issues occur.

11. Powdered Toast Man

Severe cold North? :lol: We just got through a cold snap where it was down around -35 to -40C with the wind. Stuff gets brittle when it gets that cold. I could see if a part that's under pressure like a PS line were under engineered then it would be risking failure every winter in certain regions.

12. PCRMike

I wonder if they should have a lower viscosity fluid for THAT cold, or if it is an under-engineered part.

13. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Glad I pro-actively replaced the lines in my truck that were 20 years old. The metal sections were rusty from being under the battery tray.

14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Have to admit those types of temperatures are not within the norm for most users. Stuff does indeed get brittle at those temperatures.

15. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Any updates on your Journey? Hope it's all getting worked out for you.

16. Powdered Toast Man

The temporary fix is still holding. I'm still waiting for the dealer to call me when that part comes in. The PS has been functioning normally, however I'd swear it makes an occasional groan where it didn't before. Problem is replicating the sound on command. Could be I'm just over sensitive to it now because of the trouble.

17. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Recheck the ATF+4 fluid level in the P/S reservoir. Many times after a P/S service, the air bubbles have to purge over a few days (rise to the top of the system) and fluid has to be topped up.
    Is it a 'cold' or 'warm' groan?
    Be certain to mention the groan at the service desk when the hose comes in and that it is documented (printed) on the repair order, even if they can't confirm the noise at the visit for your protection down the road.

18. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

There is a local guy who makes braided ones, but you need the old one as a "core" - they wouldn't give me mine back last year when I had mine replaced under warranty (3 weeks after I bought it... wife still bitter).

I'll get his details for you.

19. Powdered Toast Man

IT BLEW UP AGAIN TODAY! Not happy. I wrestled it through the city and left it with the dealer. Seeing as it's NYD tomorrow they won't likely even look at it until Thursday.

Was talking to the shuttle driver and he couldn't believe it. He said that two people he drove this morning also had blown power steering lines - both drive Journeys.

20. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Well, that stinks!

Thank goodness I live in more moderate temps. I've had two Journey's (a 2009 and our current 2010) and have, fortunately, never had this problem. Seems to be only a problem in very cold climates.

Hopefully they'll get the upgraded parts soon!