Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aw crap - Journey PS hose failures

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Powdered Toast Man, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Just spoke to the service advisor. Apparently their "repair" held fine. It's the OTHER power steering line that blew up! So now BOTH PS lines have blown holes in them in the last 3 weeks. And of course, the second line is also on back order due to high demand.

Someone want to explain to me how this is not a recall when Journeys are blowing up their PS lines all winter in cold climate regions?

2. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Oh man, that really bits!

I too would think they should have a TSB, but they should recall them.

3. Powdered Toast Man

I've just been reading a long thread about these over on the Dodge Journey owner's forum. This has been an ongoing problem for every model of Journey going back to 09. Chrysler clearly has not addressed it in the newer models. I've submitted a complaint to Transport Canada in the hope that it might force a recall if Chrysler refuses to step up and do it voluntarily.

If you're a Canadian Journey owner and have had this issue I strongly urge you to file a complaint at this link:
    https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng

4. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

It almost sounds like there is no oil pressure regulator in the system, as you know when oil is cold and thick, the pressure will be higher.

5. Powdered Toast Man

No idea. But according to my Service Advisor it's definitely a part failure. I asked how and where the lines blew and he said it's the hoses that are rupturing - blowing holes before the crimp.

Btw we're not talking about a leak that can be managed until repair. It blows out and results in complete failure of the PS system. On Tuesday when I stopped the car to inspect what happened I had a mostly full 1L bottle of PS fluid in the trunk. When I went to add fluid it immediately puked it out from under the car. I might as well have just dumped the fluid directly on the road.

6. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Active Member

I haven't had a power steering pump apart for a couple of decades. Back when; they had pressure relief valves. On the Chrysler products that I remember those valves were set for 800 to 1200 psi depending on the vehicle. The valves only opened when someone turned the steering to full lock and held it there. The rest of the time pressures were lower than 200 psi.

I hope for Powdered Toast Man's national pride the hoses weren't made in Canada. It sounds like the hoses might be made out of the same stuff as the "O" rings on the solid-fuel boosters for the Challenger Space Shuttle. Remember; it turned out the "O" rings got brittle at temperatures around and below freezing [point of water.]

7. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

8. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Powdered Toast Man,aside from all your recent troubles, how do you rate your Journey?

9. Powdered Toast Man

So far very good. Although the 19" Kumho tires are useless in the winter. We went and bought winter tires last year. First time in my life that I've felt like I absolutely needed them.

10. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

If you use the transport Canada webiste to file a complaint (and I plan to), you will need your VIN #.

11. Powdered Toast Man

Yes, that's true.

I happened to look at their list of active investigations and there is one that was opened Jan 2013 for Journey models 09-11 for power steering failure.

12. Powdered Toast Man

You know, if you had asked me a month ago I would have said it was awesome all around. Now, I'm starting to lose faith in this thing. Aside from two separate blown power steering lines in the last 3 weeks, today it would not start when I came out of my work. Just "cough" and wouldn't turn over. I boosted it and it got going however now it's throwing a check engine light. Apparently there's no way to get the OBD code to display on the new EVIC. Either that or no one knows it yet. Previous vehicles had the turn the key from ACC to ON 3 times quickly but I don't know how you'd get it to display with the newer push button start system. The "messages" window in the EVIC is showing "0" so it's not there.

13. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Did you plug it in?

Mine started yesterday without being plugged in overnight, but I have been plugging them in every night.

"Mars is no place to raise your kids, in fact it's cold as Winnipeg"
    - with appologies to Elton John.

14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I know it pales in comparison, but I hope our Journey is okay tonight. Expecting single digits by tomorrow am with wind chills around -10 F to -15 F. Our normal lows for this time of year are usually in the mid-20's. The high forecast for tomorrow is mid to high teens. It's been 20 years since low temps have been forecast this low.

15. Powdered Toast Man

At all times it has not been running in the past month it's been plugged in. It was today as well. Started fine in the morning. Failed to start after work when it had only been off for about 7 hours. I got it going again but got the check engine light. When I got home I put a multimeter on the battery and only got 11.7v. A healthy battery should be up around 12.6v. Also learned that you can't access the battery from under the hood. You have to remove the wheel well panel to get at the actual battery.

16. Powdered Toast Man

Update: Transport Canada actually called me the other day to follow up on the complaint I submitted. They wanted more information. They'd really like to know the part numbers for the lines that are blowing. I don't have that info yet because they're on back order and have yet to be replaced. TC currently has an open investigation into Journey models 09-11 blowing power steering lines. They were very interested in the impact the problem had on SAFETY. For example, mine went out while I was traveling at highway speed. In my complaint I mentioned how it was difficult to control the vehicle.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Could be they used bad power steering fluid... though I can't imagine that going on for three solid years. But if the p/s fluid got too viscous during winter... then again, they use ATF+4 for power steering fluid now, right? So that probably isn’t it.

You can get the part numbers from your dealer. Or on-line from a dealer who sells on-line.

No, you cannot get codes on your EVIC any more. You need a code reader. $30 and up, I think.

18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

FYI - for US owners the NHTSA does list a recall for 2010 models including the Journey regarding the power steering hoses:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action;jsessionid=y77mSTQM0kPhg554Fhl7pg0n01JNgpLDwnMhc42GYrNnQ2YKJ8qT!347029828

19. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Active Member

I remember it took about five years for those intake manifold gaskets on GM 3.1L, 3.4L, and 3.8L V6s from the early 2000s to dissolve in DexCool antifreeze.

In most cases it happened after extended warranties had run out. There could be a similar problem with fluid and hoses.

20. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Add one more PS hose failure to Winnipeg's tally. While driving at 40 km/h down St. Mary's Rd. I would not want to be much weaker and try to drive that w/o PS. This is a safety issue!