Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aw crap - Journey PS hose failures

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Powdered Toast Man, Dec 11, 2013.

1. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Overall would you recommend the Journey?

2. reaperofwaywardsouls

reaperofwaywardsouls Active Member

What is your average in town mileage? Also, other than the tires in winter, how does the Journey perform as a daily driver in Winnipeg?

3. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

It depends, but around 16 L/100km is pretty normal.

Otherwise it's totally fine as a daily driver. Ride is good. From what I've seen of competing midsize CUV's my friends own I think the Journey's interior is superior. Just don't opt for the 3rd row - it's a complete waste. Had I to do it over again I'd have gotten the highest trim FWD version there is and optioned it out then bought winter tires right away.

4. Powdered Toast Man

Yeah it's a good vehicle in it's price range. Is it a Durango? No. A Grand Cherokee? No. But it does cost about $10K-15K less. My wife likes driving it and she's what you might call a "nervous driver". She's never liked any vehicle. My 3y.o. son likes it too because the seating position of the middle row allows him to see over the beltline and out the side window in the back seat. Like I said in my other reply I'd skip the AWD and 3rd row seating and then load up on the other options. It drives really well on the highway and despite the AWD's lousy city mileage it does get pretty good highway (averaged aroun 8.7 L/100km to Minneapolis and back).

The only caveat is the power steering lines are vulnerable if the winter is unusually cold (like 2013/14) and buy a set of winter tires/rims. In 4 years nothing has broken on it or stopped working (with the exception of the spring clip on the sunglasses holder door but I think my son broke that when he was playing in the car).

5. Hankster

Hankster Curious Shadetree Tinkerer

Is it the pressure hose or the low pressure return hose that fails? What is the brand on the synthetic fluid that is used?
    Thank You,
    Hank

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I believe that there was a recall on most of these. It was the high-pressure hose failure. Call your VIN into a dealer to see if it is covered and in stock.
    The P/S fluid for a 2011-2014 (and maybe more) is the ATF+4. It is considered a synthetic.

paullybob likes this.
  7. Powdered Toast Man

ALL of the PS lines blew. There were three separate lines and all three went over the course of that winter. I can't say what the fluid is/was because it was whatever came stock from the factory. The dealer apparently switched to a different fluid more suited to cold weather following the repairs because they literally had Journeys lined up around the block with blown PS lines. I'm just glad it happened within the 36 month warranty period because it would have been an extremely expensive repair.

Hankster and ImperialCrown like this.