AF: Axle wants to stick around Part II | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axle wants to stick around Part II

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by movinyou, Apr 19, 2018.

1. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Hello All, Finally got the old shaft off and went to put the new one on and encountered a different problem. The original stub axle was so rusty that after cleaning it up, I lost some of the original diam. The Inner joint has a bit of play in it, top to bottom not front to back. Giving thought to replacing the stub axle. Is it something an ol' afternoon wrench turner dare try and quite frankly is it worth it on a car with 419,000 miles. Thoughts Please Folks. Thank You

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Sorry to hear about the Part II. Slop or play in the splines could strip and strand you on the road. If they are severely worn, it would be best to replace the stub shaft along with the new axle. The o-ring in the shaft groove is meant to keep weather out of the splines, but they can still corrode.
    Replacement of the stub can be done with snap ring pliers and a slide hammer with the adapter. Tools and procedure is shown on p. 21-53 here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/...2000_LH_LHS_300M_Concorde_Intrepid/ELH_21.PDF
    The drivers side may be a little more difficult than the passenger side.
    A new stub shaft is likely expensive. This operation can probably be done with the transaxle in the car.
    Whether it is worth doing is up to you. Assess what you have in the car and what it will likely need overall. It may be a good back-up car or a project for somebody else. If the rest of the car is in good shape, it isn't ready for scrap yet.

3. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Ok thanks. Other than this problem, everything else is working fine. No cancer, just a few scratches. I'll give it a good thinking over

4. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Had a thought, I know there is a dimple in the end of the stub axle. Going to dissect the old c/v shaft to see what is in there. Had a thought of drilling through the new inner c/v shaft and into the stub axle, tapping the stub axle, get some loc-tite blue and a bolt and see if I can get to a half million miles without self destruction. Sound crazy or what?

5. FIREM

FIREM Active Member