AF: Axle wants to stick around | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axle wants to stick around

Discussion in 'LH: Large Cars, 1993-2004' started by movinyou, Mar 28, 2018.

1. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Hello again all. Trying to replace the L/front axle on my 99 LHS and it doesn't want to break loose. Have tried a slide hammer tool and a few other things to include having my 400 lb son get on it with a pry bar with no effect. Slide hammer gave enough yank to move the engine on impact. But, no hint of the of the C/V joint moving on the stub axle. Am I missing something here?

2. FIREM

FIREM Active Member

Brute force does not always work. Have had some come off with a few whacks, others did not want to move. Have had luck by first tapping it back towards the trans, then rotating the axle as "smartly" tapping it. Just keep rotating and tapping. "Smartly" tapping is less than a whack but more than a gentle tap. The trick is to get the circlip to compress and allow the hub to slide off. There is also an o'ring at the circlip that needs to be convinced to let the circlip compress.
    Worst case have had to grind and split one or two to get them off.

3. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Thanks for the comeback. I suspected I might have to cut this buzzard off. Thankfully I bought a new axle so, no core charges. I am just worried about doing damage to the stub axle and tranny internals with all the yanking and banging. And, does anybody know where to get a new circlip if the old one gets damaged? A new shaft from AZ doesn't come with one

4. FIREM

FIREM Active Member

Dealer item recommended. Aftermarket not so much. Should replace both, have seen an axle or two slip off the stub just enough to have vehicle not move

4593012 Circlip

6502363 Oring

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

A short, hard rap or jerk breaks them loose easier than a steady, applied prying force. You want to 'shock' it loose.

6. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

I tried it with a slide hammer and a "fork" type attachment with no luck. any other suggestions?

7. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Air hammer directed at pushing the inner joint housing outward?

8. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

What works for some may not work for others, but I applied a small constant force with my 4 foot breaker bar (maybe 5 lbs), then smacked the end of it with the sledge a couple times. That was the only thing that worked for me.

9. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Anything is worth a try!

10. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Gonna try it again tomorrow. With all the suggestions, 1 of them ought to work

11. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Ended up starting to cut off the collar with a dremmel. Gonna make a couple of cuts, try and spread it a bit and see what happens.

12. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Got part of the inner C/V joint color to break loose only to find the spline shaft covered in rust. Guess the shafts are the originals. Seems that along the way, Chrysler discovered the same problem and did a slight redesign on the collar of the inner joint making room for the now required "o" ring that I happened to find at a dealer in KC. I bought the 3 they had. Gonna finish cutting the rest of the collar off tonight. Thank God for dremmels!

13. movinyou

movinyou Active Member

Folks, this is what it took to get this sucker out, about a dozen dremmel blades, and an air punch

ImperialCrown likes this.