AF: B300 Camper!! Steering wheel bearing housing ...? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B300 Camper!! Steering wheel bearing housing ...?

Discussion in 'Vans' started by ernie stires, May 1, 2015.

1. ernie stires

ernie stires New Member

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. I no longer have the service manual for these, but it looks like you have everything unfastened. Is it possible that the steering shaft is simply stuck to the inner bearing race?
    You might try a foaming graphite solvent/penetrant and gentle tapping with a plastic mallet.

ernie stires likes this.
  3. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

That dash!
    Same colour even!
    Long time since I've looked down a one like that!
    Over 25 years in fact. I had mine apart to fix an intermittent short in the signal light wire. 25 years ago... Let me see. IIRC with the snap ring removed the shaft can move slightly down into the column. Not what you're looking for. I believe there's a couple or three bolts farther down into the column that will let the cup come up over the shaft. You may need to unplug the harness down at the switch to get enough play. I also think that getting the snap ring back on can be very difficult.
    A worn pot coupling or movement in the steering gear can be felt in the steering wheel on those vans.

ernie stires likes this.
  4. ernie stires

ernie stires New Member

Thanks, so my guess is that it is frozen as there really is nothing visible holding it on, it ought to slide up and off! Anyway, I will pull the steering wheel off again and take another look. Thanks for the ideas!!