AF: Back to the Chrysler 100 | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to the Chrysler 100

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

They haven't quite reached that level still. Gas here is still 30 cents a gallon more than before the hurricane.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It's close here. Pre-Harvey 87 octane was just over $2/gallon - around $2.05. Yesterday I fueled up for $2.109 though some local stations are $2.15 to $2.29.

3. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

We are consistently near $3.

4. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Below pre Harvey price at some stations in central Texas.
    Filled up for $1.96 today.

5. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

6. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

If this car was built on a modified version of the SUSW platform and came out of Mexico on the same lines as the Compass, wouldn't that be an easier solution? They could easily take the position the Verano had at $26-27k, which is a more profitable mark for a compact car. It just seemed thar FCA was too willing to go for the short game, instead of planning for the long haul.

7. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

It' 2.30 out here in the middle of the oilfields. Even have a refinery in my city.

8. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

9. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

toy

10. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Same for CT. It was $2.30 pre Harvey, it is down to $2.65 in town. $2.73 on the interstate. I'm beginning to feel the screw turning.

Saw a Jaguar commercial yesterday showing a fancy car and then a claim that it gets 40 MPG highway. Diesel I'm guessing. The world isn't standing still, and it's getting harder to compete. That said, it probably costs like 50K, and my PT will go a long ways on 50K worth of regular.

Citation84 likes this.
  11. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Ford doesn't have half the presence that FCA has in Latin America though. In Argentina+Brasil, the Fiat brand has sold 250k non-commercial vehicles. If you include commercial vehicles that number jumps to 355k vehicles.
    In Mexico, if you add the Dodge Neon with Fiat sales, you get 15k vehicles.
    So if they used Mexico as a manufacturing base for the Tipo (which is much cheaper to produce than the Focus by the way), they could then sell it as a Chrysler 100/Doge Neon in NAFTA and as a Fiat Tipo in Latin America.
    This would lead to increased sales in Latin America, and a bigger presence in the compact segment in Canada and the US. It would also allow them to use Turkey's production exclusively for Europe and the Middle East.

But yeah, I'm aware this won't happen. They've delayed the launch of a ton of sorely needed vehicles not only in the US but also in Europe to achieve net debt zero.

xjgary, AvengerGuy and Erik Latranyi like this.
  12. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Everything you said is true, but volume is not the problem, and labor is only one the portion of the cost. It total supply chain costing structure which isn't significantly different unless your intention is that most of the components would come from Turkey, South America, and Asia. At that the NA capacity is still a constrain and better margin vehicle would still be displaced.

ScramFan and Deckard_Cain like this.
  13. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

The problem with any "just make Tipo in..." argument is that the terms of the FCA/Tofas joint venture say that the Tipo cars have to be built by Tofas. In Turkey.

Now, maybe if the production in Turkey is completely saturated by European/Middle-East demand, there may be an option to set up a second source, or there could be some sort of sub-sub-contracting where Tofas gets plant space in Mexico from FCA so that it can build cars for sale to FCA there...

Deckard_Cain and TripleT like this.
  14. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Well, but they could make the Neon in Mexico. That's not a Tipo... :D

But I know my arguments are a bit pointless there are reasons why no Chrysler 100 will come to the US NAFTA market. Redriderbob already spoke about it and a few of the mods.

I think the car is great for what it is, and perfectly suited for the US/Canadian market if it got the new Firefly engines and the Hurricane.

That's an updated Egea sedan, with DRLs and updated infotainment. To me, that seems like a perfect cost-competitive sedan for the US/Canada market.

TripleT likes this.
  15. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

untitled.png

Or better yet, another three year SRT production run.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Import the body in white from China, finished by SRT group

Hemidakota likes this.
  17. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Well-Known Member

$1.30/l here. That is $5.00/US gallon. And that is lower than its been for most of the past year.

xjgary and UN4GTBL like this.
  18. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I'm partial to;
    "Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
    and
    "What's his plan? Russians don't take a dump, son, without a plan." - Admiral Painter

Zagnut27 likes this.
  19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

[​IMG]

Sigh

Bajanbuoy, Hemidakota and UN4GTBL like this.
  20. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

Le sigh..... All they had to do was make a SRT version......how many current and former SRT-4 owners would have jumped onto that? I would have had a deposit on day one.

somber and UN4GTBL like this.