Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back working on the '64 D-100

Discussion in 'Pre-1994 trucks, commercial vehicles' started by gearhead, Dec 2, 2017.

1. gearhead

gearhead Well-Known Member

My '64 D-100 was a father son project and we spent a number of enjoyable hours and days working on it together. My son was killed in a motorcycle accident 1-1/2yrs ago and the truck has just been sitting in the yard since then. I'm finally getting my head together and decided to finish the truck the way my son would have, as a semi rat rod, since the cab has serious rust issues and we couldn't find a replacement cab in our area. Mechanically the truck is sound. All new brakes and tires, all the gauges and electrical components work as they should, running gear is in pretty good shape. The 1st thing I've got to do is get some seats in it. I'm going to mount some Volvo seats from a '79 DL240 that's sitting in my yard. The interior of the Volvo is in excellent condition, it just doesn't have a title. LOL! After that I'm planning on filling the drip rail with lead to seal all the rust pinholes, then fabricate some floorboards. Hopefully it won't be too overwhelming for me. I'll probably be asking some off the wall questions and seeking some info and advice as things progress. I'm hoping to have it on the road by summer.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of your son. I have also lost people very dear to me in motorcycle mishaps through the years. I'm sure that he would have wanted you to go on and complete the project. Maybe the truck's connection to him will help you as well.
    There are some good resources for older Dodge trucks out there. Maybe not as many as Ford and Chevy reproduction parts and what you can't repair, you will have to make.
    A factory Mopar D-W parts catalog and Dodge truck shop manual would be good reference guides.

3. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

So sorry for your loss. i don't really have much more to add than what IC has said above. I hope it can be a healing process for you.

4. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

Shane Estabrooks and somber like this.
  5. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

You might already know, but there is a .org website dedicated to the Sweptline trucks.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  6. PwrWgnWalt

PwrWgnWalt Member

Hi Gearhead,
    Sorry for your loss, cannot even imagine...
    For sheet metal, the only current options are used parts or search for kenny exline on the aforementioned www.sweptline.org site.

Great old trucks; have a '64 W200 myself, and 10 other Sweptline era trucks.

If you have the 318 V-8 (A-318, a.k.a., "poly" or "wide block 318), check out the Poly sites, too. Great "semi-hemi" engines, now with several enthusiasts and support. Gary Pavlovich and Bruce Toth are excellent resources.

Walt

ImperialCrown likes this.