Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Barn Find" - 1988 Plymouth Caravelle value?

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by goair99, Aug 7, 2017.

1. goair99

goair99 Active Member

wolfsblood07 and Citation84 like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

At least they didn't start with an astronomical price in the ad.
    I still think $1800 is high - but there are flippers out there who will lowball and then price it double or more.
    If you really want it, I'd say $1500. But that is if you want to keep it. The market for people paying much for these cars is small.

Doug D likes this.
  3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I agree with Mark. And the seller must know this or the ad wouldn't say obo. I'd start off by offering about $1,300 and see what happens. And I wouldn't go over $1,500 at all. I don't see a lot of people clamoring for a Caravelle, no matter what condition it's in. Not really considered a collector car.

4. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Caravelle's are rare, but not really considered "collectable". That said this one is in very good condition. Like Chuzz I'd start at $1,300 and go no higher than $1,500.

5. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

No disrespect or to be argumentative, but that seems a fair price. Especially if it comes with documentation.

For me it doesn't matter if it's collectible, if someone appreciates it. Personally I'd give him what he wants. It's a whole lot of car for $1500. Can anyone get a decent newer car for $1500, in this sort of shape and mileage, much less $1300 ? Or anything "collectible" from the period ? I know, oxymoron, but still... I'm sure there are those that can, of course.

I just got an 86 Olds Calais back from my little bro, like the one in my avatar. 128,000 miles and I would have happily paid him $1500 for it. That sounds dumb to many I suppose but I've had more fun in the past week with it than I would have had with a new one. Oldest car on the freeway the other day, and perfectly serviceable. I may even drive it to Salt Lake City to visit my older brother in the fall.

There's zero market for N Bodies out there, but I couldn't care less.

I never thought my 63 Valiant Signet would ever be "collectible" when I bought it for $600 in 1980. Nor see reproduction parts for it being manufactured.

Sometimes it isn't "All about the Benjamins".

Plus that "old car smell". Priceless !

#5 Citation84, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    wolfsblood07 likes this.
  6. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

3000 into it? So one can expect gold plated emblems ? When i look at an old car no matter what the miles are I think of all the things that go bad with age. I would assume the radiator is one of many things.

7. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I would think mechanical parts are very avaible for K cars since so many are intechangable and so many were made.
    Its the body parts and interior parts that are hard to find.

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

How much money was put into it over any (or undefined) period of time is irrelevant to the price. What matters is the current condition, what needs or soon will need replacing, if parts are still available, and what the cost to acquire (sale price, tax, registration, title, plates, inspection, insurance) and cost per mile to operate will be.

Citation84 and valiant67 like this.
  9. voiceofstl

A well maintained low mileage K car should be great driver.
    Another good low cost deal is early 90's buick centurys and the olds version.

Citation84 likes this.
  10. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I have owned a lot of these cars and they where easy and cheap to fix. So the cost to maintain is low and they are fairly reliable. Just sold a 88 aries station wagon and I would drive it anywhere.

11. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Where I live the cost to register, title and plates are dirt cheap. and even insurance . Most people could not tell the cost per mile and don't really care.

12. chrisg05

chrisg05 Well-Known Member

if you want to work him down you could probably get it down to about 1000. That is about what they go for here in new york. great car by the way if you can get it

13. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

If he is asking 1800 obo I doubt if he would take 1000, I wouldn't.

14. voiceofstl

After years of selling and buying used cars.....If the first price is 1800, its a given he will take 1500 for it.

15. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

That is what I think also.

16. pt006

pt006 Active Member

If I needed low cost transportation, I wouldn't hesitate paying $2,000 for a good used car if I thought I'd get a few good years out of it. This type of car is cheaper for parts and labor than most cars out there. There's a lot of junk out there that was somebody else's problem child before it went thru the auction house.

Citation84 likes this.
  17. goair99

goair99 Active Member

Thanks for all you input. OR, should I wait until I find another New Yorker or M body 5th Avenue???

18. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Bottom line is that if you really want that car, you'd better move on it quick and try to make a deal. Someone else will do it while you're contemplating what to do and then you'll be kicking yourself. If I had the money, I'd haul butt over to Orlando and make him an offer. But I don't. You're lucky in that aspect!

Citation84 likes this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It's a fact of life a car you will want more always shows up after you buy one.

chuzz, Citation84 and Doug D like this.
  20. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

Too true -- 1975 I was waiting for a local '72 Eldorado convertible to be traded in. I gave up and bought a '73 Toronado. Two weeks later ----:(