AF: Base Charger with Hemi, a great idea | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Base Charger with Hemi, a great idea

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by wolfsblood07, Apr 30, 2020.

1. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

When I bought my 2014 Dodge Avenger I was so happy to discover that they offered the big engine option (3.6 liter V6) in the base SE model. My car has 17" steel wheels, no spoiler, no options and the only thing I wanted was the V6 at a very low price. I may never get rid of it I like it so much.
    But if Dodge were to offer the base Charger (no hood scoop, modest wheels, plain grille, etc.), with the Hemi V8 I might trade in the Avenger for one. Or they could do it on the Chrysler 300, that would be sweet. I would hope such a car would have a traditional shift lever instead of the dial.
    This sort of thing has been done before. Back in the late 80s and early 90s Ford offered the plain-Jane Mustang LX with the exact same 5.0 liter high output V8 that the sporty Mustang GT had, at bargain prices. You could even get it in the boxy notchback style, for a real sleeper.

GLHS60 and tomit like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Buy a used police car.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

What you are describing is the original "muscle cars" - big engine with very few options. Hard to find these days (usually big engine vehicles include many features and options) unless as posted you can find a used police charger or crown vic.

valiant67 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

One of the reasons is advances in materials. In the past, adding options like power windows and power locks meant adding more weight. On modern cars, the power window assembly doesn't weight anywhere near as much as an old manual window assembly. Same for modern power door locks.

DC-93 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  5. wolfsblood07

Some folks want the extra power and fun that a Hemi V8 offers but not want people to know it! I drove a bright red Charger with the Hemi as a rental car last year. I loved and it attracted attention. Some people get jealous and act weird.

6. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Flip 'em off !!

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  7. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Here’s my issue with this concept. If you were to have the option of a 10k mile car with tons of everything vs a stripper for the same price, what would you choose?
    If these were selling new for $5k, and were the definition of affordable, Someone may be interested in a decontented model so they could purpose purchase it. Most people willing to shell out the cash for a new car need it to have enough content to be able to “live” with it

DC-93 likes this.
  8. wolfsblood07

But what if they offered the base model Charger, exactly as it is now, with the option of the Hemi V8? I think today you can get a new base Charger with the mandatory V6 for about $26,000 or even less (a great bargain by the way). Imagine if they offered the Hemi engine for only $1000 more. As it is the jump in price to get the V8 is much more than that, because you have to go to a higher trim level to get it.
    When I bought my '14 Avenger the price of a 4 cylinder base model was almost exactly the same as the base model with the V6.

#8 wolfsblood07, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
  9. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I had 2 of those foxbody notchback 5.0. They were great back in the day.

As far as the charger with the hemi, i have seen r/t models that look vanilla before.
    We test drove a r/t plus model that didnt have the boy racer look to it. Idk if it is still offered.

wolfsblood07 and DC-93 like this.
  10. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

If your asking me personally, I’d just buy a used, higher optioned Hemi for the same price as a new base Hemi. As I’ve gotten older, and have had a chance to try many different trims of many different models, I’ve learned that spending the extra money for the better trim level makes a world of difference. Currently looking for a pre owned Pacifica. I’m looking for a limited model, even tough for the price of a used one, I could get the base model new. That’s apples to apples, as they would have the same power plant

wolfsblood07 and page2171 like this.
  11. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

They used to have a "base" charger with a v8, it was the r/t since you could get that pretty barebones but dodge wants to change their design language so you gotta get the hood scoop and what not now. You can still get it with cloth and no sunroof

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  12. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Bingo.

Try to find a demo - a decked-out AWD Pursuit sells new (on bid, to fleet customers only) for well under $30,000. A good, low mileage demo shouldn't run more than $25,000 or so, and they perform very well. The only caveat is that they ride very poorly.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  13. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

And you need the upgraded brakes and suspension to handle the hemi...

14. wolfsblood07

The more I think about it, the base V6 might be the better choice for me. I always liked V8 engines like the 318 in the M-body Chrysler sedans. The modern V6 Charger is probably more like that than the Hemi V8 is.

15. Handy_Cruiser

Level 2 Supporter

Yep. When you can get a Pentastar V6 with 300 hp and super fuel mileage, who needs a V8 in a non-performance model?

We had the Pentastar in our first two Chrysler 300S models. That was plenty of engine for those cars. Of course, once we owned a Hemi, we were addicted. Now my sweetie keeps asking when we are going to trade the Scat Pack for a Hellcat. :rolleyes:

wolfsblood07 likes this.