Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Removal for 2008 Sebring

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by saltydog, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

There are some advantages to keeping the battery out of the engine compartment.
    One is the battery-killing heat. The ThermoguardĀ® battery cover kept fresh air blowing on the battery to keep it cool. An insulating blanket came on OEM batteries to shield them. Many of these didn't fit a new battery and/or weren't transferred over to the new battery and go missing.
    The cab-forward design didn't give much topside room under the hood. The LX cars and some others have the battery in the trunk. Jumper cable connections are provided under the hood.
    Lowering the battery also lowers the vehicle's center of gravity. Batteries are a significantly heavy component.
    For jump starting, it is safer to connect to the +/- studs with the battery out of the way as batteries can emit explosive gases and have injured people. I had one pop the caps and spray me once when hooking up jumpers made a spark.
    As far as easy-to-get-to? All modern batteries are Maintenance-Free. Of course they are out-of-sight, out-of-mind and battery terminals are rarely cleaned or serviced, but they figure that a battery may only need attention about every 5-7 years. Most can be changed in 10-15 minutes anyways.

saltydog likes this.
  2. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I have to agree with IC, I have owned several J car's and battery replacement is not needed very often, so its location is fine.

With the 2008, the battery needed replacement sooner than most, due to the electronics's(NAV and convertible top motor's) draw on it.

My mother n Laws 2007 Sebring is still on the original battery.(knocking on wood right now)

3. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

I guess most of you people do not realize that in AZ you replace a battery every 2 to 3 years, so when you say 7 to 8 it doesn't apply here.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  4. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes
    Level III Supporter

I had a '96 Stratus and you're right about the "tad more access" by turning the wheel. The tire needed to come off as well. though. It was inconvenient, but tolerable as batteries do not need servicing and replacing as often as in the past.

5. Mopartial

Mopartial Fits and Finishes
    Level III Supporter

I certainly did not know that. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Here in the Northeast, it will be a problem with corrosion in removing the battery hold-down and bracket. It's a struggle underhood, will be worse down below.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep. I recently had to clean the battery terminals on our Journey. Was having some starting issues and upon checking I had noted the voltage was lower than normal - 12.3 at rest and only 13.3 with the enigne running. After cleaning voltage was 12.5 and 14.3 respectively. Accessing the battery was a major pain. Had to jack up the LF, remove tire and then remove the panel to access the battery. Not much room to work with.

Battery posts had slight film build up. Cleaned the posts and connectors with a wire brush and put it all back together. Will gladly pay someone to replace the battery when it needs replacement.

8. saltydog

Interesting, the extreme heat?

I live in central CA and we have some long hot summers, but I am guessing it's not like AZ

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  9. saltydog

Yea that could be a issue, I would some sort I'd rust inhibitor to slow the corrosion.

10. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I have gotten over 3 and a half years of service from the battery in my 2014 Avenger. That's pretty good for Phoenix.
    It will need to be replaced soon. We'll see if Walmart balks at replacing it.

saltydog likes this.