AF: Battle of Tailgates - RAM strikes again | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle of Tailgates - RAM strikes again

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Fast Eddie, Sep 12, 2020.

1. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

These tailgate battles are the most pointless thing in the world. It's just trying to outdo one another on a gimmicky thing. It's because no one can think of something truly revolutionary to do I guess.

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I get what this is all about. They all have capable trucks and are looking for any edge to help sell trucks. With that said, I wish they would use some resources to solve some really annoying issues first. One that comes to mind is the exhaust manifold problem. Either the studs/bolts they use are third rate, or the manifolds aren't true. Fix these things, make them go away, then you can make tailgates that are split.

3. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

“...its dazzling, 60-40 split tailgate...”. Dazzling? Dazzling tailgate? That’s a bit much. :D

Ryan, somber, dakota21 and 2 others like this.
  4. thebluegoat

thebluegoat Active Member

Or like Ram trucks rusting out over the rear wheel wells in a matter of a few years.

jsucha likes this.
  5. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I won't buy a truck (regardless of brand) with one of these fancy tailgates until I see how they do when the rust starts to set in. Rust is a fact of life around here, and I don't want to be the guinea pig

6. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

If Ram Trucks wanted to be truly revolutionary they would employ something radical like coil springs all around or even an air suspension. Under the hood they could put a V6 achieving 300 horsepower without using turbos.

Unfortunately Ram is way behind the competition, because they only have an 8-speed transmission while the others have 10.
    <Sarcasm:p>

AvengerGuy, Tony K, finc.jb and 5 others like this.
  7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Personally I don't see the point of the complaints. Flexible tailgates will really help some people. Just because they don't help your use case, doesn't mean they're useless.

“I hate the way people put style sheets into web sites and word processors and layout programs. Why don't they focus on just making them not crash?”

gminnebo, djsamuel, Tony K and 2 others like this.
  8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Around here, it's mostly F150's with that malady.

habu987 and ScramFan like this.
  9. thebluegoat

thebluegoat Active Member

There’s no brand that’s safe here although I’ve yet to see a 2015+ F-150 with the aluminum body have any visible issues from just driving around.

10. Doug D

The aluminum F150 hasn't been out long enough to have any sort of corrosion issues. In time it may still happen.

Get back to me in 10 years and we'll see.

My Ram is 14 years old and is just now showing bubbling paint over the LR wheel well.

Tony K and jclick like this.
  11. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

For sure! That little step thing won't ever move again after one winter of Wisconsin road salt. It will definitely affect the tailgate too lol

kb9mzx and page2171 like this.
  12. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

I just want a truck that I can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood, drywall, paneling, etc. in and close the tail gate. I don't need or want fancy gadgets. I want practicality.

voiceofstl, Bob Lincoln and DC-93 like this.
  13. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Level 2 Supporter

Ford has issued numerous TSB’s regarding aluminum panel corrosion, with the latest one covering the 2020 models with aluminum body panels that are affected by panel corrosion. The TSB’s call for replacement of the panel - not repair.

After owning GM and Dodge vehicle’s for decades, I bought my first new Ford; a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. Before the base warranty expired - the aluminum tailgate began to show paint bubbling and corrosion. The vehicle had been meticulously maintained and garaged. The Ford dealer would not repair or replace the panel, stating that the perforation had to completely penetrate the panel.

In 2016 Ford changed the corrosion warranty to include the type of corrosion exhibited on my Expedition - but it did not apply to prior year models still under warranty.

This problem will prohibit me from buying another new Ford, or any vehicle with aluminum body panels.

chuzz, UN4GTBL, SRTBrandon and 2 others like this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The paint on the hood of my Mustang started cracking and bubbling several years ago (it’s a 2011). They know about the issue...and don’t care. Some of the paint has chipped off, maybe a 6 or 8 inch strip along the lip of the hood. I bought some paint and I’ll paint it myself at some point when I have time...at least that’s what I keep telling myself. Lol. I’ve done painting before, though it’s been many years. I can make it look good enough, at least better than it looks now. It doesn’t have to be perfect, I won’t be trading it any time soon and it just gets beat up going back and forth to Philly every day. So, because I keep my vehicles forever, it wouldn’t deter me from buying another Ford...assuming they had ANYTHING I cared to buy currently. :D

15. kevin m. Henry

kevin m. Henry Active Member

The step I installed on my 2014 Ram when new still functions properly after almost 7 years of salty upstate NY winters, all it takes is occasional cleaning and lubrication. Fluid Film seems to work.

AvengerGuy, gminnebo, XRT2SRT and 5 others like this.
  16. Doug D

I stand corrected then. I would have thought it would have taken longer for the corrosion to manifest itself.

It took over 10 years for the corrosion to start appearing the alloy wheels of my Ram.

When I purchased my Ram new in 2006 the dealer offered a sealant package the applied undercoating to the undercarriage and sealant to the body. It took 12+ years before any paint bubbling appeared (over the LR wheel well). One of these days I plan on getting it taken care of. It also helps that very little salt is used on the roads here in east central Virginia - we don't get much snow on an annual basis - maybe 14" on average and some years are way less than average.

1999 White C5 Coupe likes this.
  17. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I agree.

This is a bit like the Detroit automakers rolling in cash through the 1950s and thinking that tail fins were revolutionary. Only to have real competition come out of left field a few years later...and leave them in the dust.

Right now full-size pickup sales are rolling in the cash, so the Big 3 are locked into who can outdo who with these gimmicky tailgates.

Meanwhile, Toyota hasn’t been all that secretive that it is planning to launch an all-new Tundra with a full hybrid powertrain option capable of 400+ HP and 30 MPG, and a frame that will be shared with Tacoma, 4Runner, and a 4-door FJ Cruiser/Land Cruiser, to reduce production costs.

AvengerGuy, thebluegoat and NWbyNW like this.
  18. hotmach

hotmach Not an insider !

IMO it wouldn't be pointless if it was standard.
    I bet i'll see more of these getting groceries on a top tier truck than i will actually being used on a job site.
    If it wasn't being used as a way to make the truck more expensive, we wouldn't see it as a gimmick.

19. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

Saw one on a truck for the first time
    Over the weekend.