AF: Battle of Tailgates - RAM strikes again | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle of Tailgates - RAM strikes again

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Fast Eddie, Sep 12, 2020.

1. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

The thing is, they didn't have to do revolutionary. Just different enough. Japan had to go revolutionary because it was trying to inject itself in a market that loves large cars. Revolution/Evolution comes out of necessity, and is rarely because you want to. Lol.. people aren't good at changing.. we make our tools evolve for us.

Tony K, chuzz and ScramFan like this.
  2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Just give me a 6 1/2 ft or longer bed and a locking cap. That's what I need out of a truck. Not these "boutique" trucks with beds 5.5 feet or less. Useless. Not even as functional as a van.

Tony K, chuzz and XRT2SRT like this.
  3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

That is true. Innovation is half all-new, half familiar.

Thing is, Toyota has been trying to insert itself into the fullsize pickup market for 20 years. So the Big 3 better watch out.

4. suzq044

Honestly, it's here. It's been here. I think they're perfectly happy with it being 4th place while the other three bicker over first. They have a following about as strong as 4runner, too.

Tony K and XRT2SRT like this.
  5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep. As far as I am concerned it isn't a truck I can use if the bed is less than 6'. My '06 has a 6'3" bed which works fine for most of my needs.

6. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

My parents Caravan had some minor corroding on the hood, and the dealer swapped it out for a new one. Was truly a painless experience. They even removed and re-installed the hood deflector.

I am watching the hood on my Cherokee for corrosion.

7. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

8. WXman

WXman Active Member

I see it as just another multi-thousand dollar part to replace out of warranty. No thanks. K.I.S.S.

AvengerGuy likes this.
  9. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

I added a step to my 2014 Ram 1500, I have a standard gate, and it's the only way I can get into my bed without looking like an old fool, the step in the picture doesn't look to be any different than the one I have (mine is a BestTop version, there are others). I've had it for over two years in Michigan and I live on a dirt (muddy dirt, not gravel) road, it still works like new and I don't oil it or keep it any cleaner than the occasional drive trough car wash.

Beds are really high up now days on all trucks, that's probably my biggest complaint about my truck, but it sure looks nice way up there...

wvutuba, page2171 and tlc like this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

GM's step in the bumper sure was a nice, simple solution without anything to hang down under the truck. Plus there's the advantage you could enter the bed with the step in the bumper from either side.

page2171 likes this.
  11. Ryan

I'm so tired of that argument. Isn't that the case for many vehicle accessories, including those that are so popular on the Wrangler? And yet people still add all kinds of Mopar accessories to their cars.

You could say the same for all parts on a vehicle... Headlights? Who needs them - some people only drive during the day. Just another part to mess up. Reverse lights? Just drive forward and you won't have to worry about the bulbs burning out. Air conditioning? Roll the windows down.

XRT2SRT, danbek, Tony K and 2 others like this.
  12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Don't you know everyone wants bare bone, no more nice things. We want crank windows, crank over your own engine with your own strength, no more ac, and hay bales for seats. Afterall all these are luxury items that are bound to break/ wear out

XRT2SRT, ScramFan, tlc and 4 others like this.
  13. WXman

WXman Active Member

Apples to oranges.

A more accurate version of your argument would be halogen headlights vs. xenon. Dual zone climate control vs. standard controls. It's an issue of a simple, functional part vs. a more complicated over-engineered part. It is not an issue of do with or do without. So your argument doesn't make sense.

A traditional tailgate has worked for people since before WWII. And it doesn't cost $3,245 to replace out of warranty. Go take a look at GM's multi-function tailgate and tell me with a straight face that you believe that will last the life of the truck. People are going to absorb totally unnecessary cost down the road with these fancy tailgates and I see it as a problem FOR ME which is why I wouldn't go for one. That's all I said.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, I look at features like this as being cool, and potentially useful, but in the back of my head I'm always thinking how much is it going to cost to fix when (not if) it breaks. I probably wouldn't turn down a truck that had it, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to find a truck that had it.

It's got interesting functionality, but I'm not sure for durability.

thebluegoat, djsamuel and page2171 like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Simple solution? If you have a fancy tailgate and it breaks or rusts out later in life, just replace it with the plain tailgate.

Oh, but then you couldn’t complain because some people like nicer things and are willing to pay for them.

UN4GTBL, danbek, SptFury and 2 others like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I wasn’t complaining about what others may want. I made a statement that I wouldn’t turn one down, but I also wouldn’t go out of my way to find one. Not sure how that’s complaining, but ok. :rolleyes:

17. Ryan

I don't think he was referring to you.

I personally have no real need for this tailgate, or even a pickup at all, but how many things do we buy that we don't actually need just because we like the added convenience or functionality? I'll answer that: a lot. That's why we have $80,000 pickups available.

It does seem like a useful way to reach further into your bed without having to lean over the tailgate and at $995, many people aren't going to notice (or mind) the added cost.

tlc likes this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I don’t deny the potential usefulness of something like this. However, I haven’t seen many Rams at my local dealers with either the Ram boxes or the current multifunction tailgates, so I guess it’s a moot point for me anyway...unless I ordered one specifically.

19. suzq044

Same. Seen 2 at the dealer. Same with ram box.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

It's 2020. It will probably last as long as any other tailgate. KISS principle is great in principle. In practice, we buy what we find useful. Don't want it? Don't buy it.

habu987 and ScramFan like this.