AF: Battle of Tailgates - RAM strikes again | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle of Tailgates - RAM strikes again

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Fast Eddie, Sep 12, 2020.

1. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

I agree, but I know several people who won't buy another Ram with out Ram Boxes since having them on previous Rams, I myself am sad I don't have them on mine, but I can't buy new, so I get to allow other factors determine what options are on my vehicles, was I hoping the Ram I ended up buying would have them, yes, was I willing to sacrifice other things, drivetrain, milage etc to get them, no, so no surprise, my Ram doesn't have them, (but I did add a step).

I really like the spilt gate option, I like that it's still pretty simple compared to the other jaw dropping options out there, I like that it is different, I like that even without a step I could use the bumper to help me get into the bed if needed, and most of all I like that it is on the best Truck in the market, but... I doubt dealers are going to oder them in mass, so when I buy my used Gen 5 Ram somewhere down the road... it probably won't have it, or the Ram boxes for the same reason...

Tony K, ScramFan and Zagnut27 like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Decades ago, probably in the 90s after the new Dodge Ram 1500 came out, I remember reading an article that said for all the advancements we'd seen in the pickup cab, the pickup bed was still the same basic box it had been since stepside trucks were replaced by "regular" pickup beds.

And that was the case for a long time, until Ram Boxes (not really a new idea, but a relocation of the old built in tool boxes) and fancy tailgates came into being.

tabutler and Ryan like this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Personally I would find ramps that could be stored in the bed floor more useful than a split tailgate.

4. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Probably could be a future adaptation.

Doug D likes this.
  5. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

The problem I see with that is the tailgate takes all the weight of whatever you put on the ramps. The split gate alleviates that problem. I've seen Ram tailgates bent from loading a Harley onto the bed.

Tony K and tlc like this.
  6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Most bikes that I've seen loaded in the bed of a truck are usually trail bikes or 4-wheelers - both of which are much lighter than a Harley. Harley's tend to be heavy. When I have seen Harley's being transported, they are usually on a trailer. Your point it well taken though.

Riding mowers are much lighter as well, but I usually see them on trailers since it is much easier to load/unload from a trailer vs the bed of a truck.

7. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

It takes a fairly long ramp to safely load/unload a bike or mower. There are many fail videos out there backing this up. Trailer height makes for a much safer load in all cases other than a lifting device.

cdjr77, tlc and Bob Lincoln like this.
  8. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Not everyone has space for a trailer. Or after one. Even if they could afford the truck.

Tony K likes this.
  9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

My parents had the perfect hill behind their driveway for loading a tractor or motorcycle in a pickup bed. It wasn’t that convenient at the other end though except at my grandparents who had a similar hill.

Tony K and tlc like this.
  10. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

With my '05 Ram 1500 loading/unloading snowblowers with ramps can be exciting, it's at least a two person job. When I was shopping for my truck I was tempted to get an SUV and a trailer. Around here for the price of a 4wd truck in decent condition I could get a nicer SUV and have money left for a trailer. There are a few times when a trailer would be less convenient for what I would use it for than my truck. Maybe next time around I will rethink the truck vs. SUV and trailer decision.

Tony K likes this.
  11. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I have no space for a trailer. I really miss my 4X8 trailer and the extra garage space since I moved. I had 5 garage spaces and could park about 30 vehicles there. Now 3 and can park 2 more. I have rented 4 trailers in the last year. No toys to move but the 1500 has been asked to haul full loads and tow full trailers. I would rent a trailer before I would load a motorcycle or riding lawnmower in the bed.

cdjr77, Tony K and tlc like this.
  12. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

I should add that one truck in question was a 2500 with a Cummins. He was headed for his lake house pulling a boat. So a dedicated bike trailer was not an option.

13. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

all this talk about ramps and such....because the new trucks are to tall!! You can't even reach over the bed to reach something. You need a step ladder to climb in the thing.
    But they look cool..I guess that is what is important.
    I'M SICK OF IT!!

Tony K likes this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No, pickup bed floors were always too high to load mowers or motorcycles without ramps.
    You are sick a lot.

Tony K, habu987, tlc and 3 others like this.
  15. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Wasn't built in ramps a thing on the Demo/Concept Ram 1500...I remember seeing those in pics? Right?
    Built in ramps on a truck would be so useful...load up ya dirt bike, atv, or lawnmower with ease.

sickboy and valiant67 like this.
  16. voiceofstl

In 1990's the beds sat a foot lower, makes everything easier. But they weren't "cool" looking.

17. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

They also didn't tow 10,000 lbs or carry 2000 in a half ton.

ScramFan, tabutler and valiant67 like this.
  18. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I can see a big liability if load slips off the ramps. Could be eased if a winch was added at the front of the bed. It is hard to hold a bike stable as it gets near the top of the ramps unless multiple bodies available.

19. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Not in Texas. I see doubles around here a lot. Saw a Charger pulling a Charger pulling a Charger pulling a Charger once. Bumper covers were pulled and inside and it was obvious they were purchased at a damaged vehicle auction. Heading south on I-35. Sometimes see RV trailer pulling a boat trailer.

20. voiceofstl

the people that need that can get a Heavy Duty.