AF: Battle of Tailgates - RAM strikes again | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle of Tailgates - RAM strikes again

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Fast Eddie, Sep 12, 2020.

1. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I was very excited about that. I can imagine that
    A: it may have compromised bed space. Although I believe ram boxes do that already
    B: any damage or dents To the bed could render it useless
    C: if the ramps are bent while extended, they may be unable to be retracted. A huge problem if they were fixed to the bed.

but if uhaul can do it, ram should too

tabutler and XRT2SRT like this.
  2. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Speak of "crank windows", I recently rented a Uhaul that upon leaving (less than 1 mile) the lot, I discovered said crank window's handle just spun on the input shaft...lol! :eek:Then the low-fuel indicator dinged....:( So, after two brief conversations, I was ordered to return it to the lot and pickup correct vehicle (sales person goofed) . Surprisingly, I was okay with the crank being inoperable but, the low fuel start was a deal breaker; the newer truck was much nicer! ;)

3. XRT2SRT

Just a thought here...are RAM BOXES available as an add on item, if one wishes to fork over the cash out of pocket??

4. XRT2SRT

I choose "C" as my answer.

UN4GTBL and sickboy like this.
  5. XRT2SRT

The tailgate on GMC SIERRA is a masterful design until someone get overly aggressive on the go pedal in reverse and crumples that cute thing like so many have been prone to doing. And though I this can be true for either make, I think there are just too many parts to fail there. K.I.S.S. RAM WINS!

Tony K and tlc like this.
  6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

All of these ideas are good on paper, but what a few years on the salt filled roads of the north? Truck companies haven't made frames that won't rust in two yet, so what about these sheet metal appliances?

wvutuba and kevin m. Henry like this.
  7. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Farmers mostly are now. That bridge is already burned. What we need now is the true half-ton Dakota with the 5000 lb tow and 1,000 lb payload capacity. Actually, it would seem that the increased capacity of 1/2T series trucks to essentially ton capacity has created a bigger space for a true midsize half at this point.

#67 Tony K, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    cdjr77 and Adventurer55 like this.
  8. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Think of it as a great money maker.
    3 of the 12 functions stopped working? That’ll be $2800 (Price on eBay for a take off, no idea how much factory new is), $500 To paint it, and $300 for labor.
    personally, I like the ram for forklift loading. But the price is too hard to swallow for something I’d rarely use. A step up To the bed would be all I need. And have it at the corner of the bed. I can use the bed side as a “handle” and the tailgate as a second step. Problem solved

9. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

I see both sides.. for most, the options are not relevant.. especially given the premium pricing.

That side.. a motorcycle friendly built in ramp would be a wise idea for engineers.

Loading a bike in a truck bed is a real pain that brings sweat to everyone's palms.

10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Could another problem with a storable ramp be that they need to be longer then most beds?

burtstwins and kevin m. Henry like this.
  11. LeeRyder

They can make them extendable, like ladders.

Doug D and Tony K like this.
  12. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Lot more room needed.

13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

OR. Drop the step portion when you have a bumper hitch installed.

14. gminnebo

gminnebo Well-Known Member

Ha ha, no*, ram boxes get completely different beds, basically they close in the the wheel wells, all that space is dedicated to the boxes. * I mean technically you could get another bed from a Ram that has them and make a swap, but $$$.

15. burtstwins

burtstwins Well-Known Member

two choices,
    1)a lot more heavier and thicker to handle same weight
    2} so flimsy that it is worthless

16. LeeRyder

I've actually worked out 3 or 4 viable methods of making this work since this post.
    Tbh, I'm astonished the manufacturers haven't done it yet. Perhaps the market isn't there, but its absolutely doable.