AF: Battle of the trucksters: Durango SRT vs Ford Explorer ST | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle of the trucksters: Durango SRT vs Ford Explorer ST

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Stéphane Dumas, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

DC-93, tlc, ScramFan and 3 others like this.
  2. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

As an owner of an SRT Durango, I can attest that is a fantastic family hauler. City mileage is absolutely terrible. But highway I do not really notice worse than my 2014 RT used to get.

All in all, as someone who seriously considered the ST when I was searching, glad I stuck with Dodge.

suzq044 likes this.
  3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

We don't have any Durango SRTs in our fleet, but we do have GT and R/T models. The old Explorer was a favorite among our customers, but the new one is a step backward. The seats are fanny pinchers, the controls have a cheap feel, and the fit and finish aren't that that good. The ST model is quick enough, once the vehicle is rolling. We have some ST models as a premium rent, but they don't feel as solid as our lowly Durango GTs, which aren't as quick, but are much smoother to drive. Life isn't skid pads and drag strips, there are pot holes, stop and go traffic jams, and road glazing nasty weather.

suzq044 likes this.
  4. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

The D is an excellent vehicle wich if it gotten a bit more selling support be a big seller but it ended up in the shadow of GC.

5. hmk123

Level III Supporter

While the Bronco still needs to proof itself it is amazing how it and the Explorer come from the same company. Then again, the Broncos might also not have the greatest of drive trains.
    Surprised Ford messed up the Explorer that much. Or maybe not... :)

Mr. Fusion likes this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

We were a Ford family when I was growing up before my parents switched to Saturn, so I am not surprised in the least that Ford messed up the Explorer. My Mustang is a 2011, which was during one of their up-trends for quality...under Mulally...and it's been an awesome vehicle for us. Since then, with Ford being Ford, things have slid downhill. They have lots of potential for success, if they could ever get their heads out of their posterior exhaust ports that is. Though I can think of more than one car company that suffers from that. Lol.

And yes, Durango is on our list for a family hauler sometime in the very near future. Explorer is not, though it's Aviator cousin may be....

7. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

If Ford messed up the Explorer, then a lot of people either didn't notice or don't care because I see them all over the place. There are at least 4 new Explorers at work. There is also a replacement one that drives past our house regularly that looks so good I want to forget everything bad I've read about it.

Doug D likes this.
  8. WXman

WXman Active Member

I still can't get into the EcoBust family of engines. They sound terrible, so Ford augments this by pumping fake sound through the speakers. They drink fuel like they're sponsored by OPEC if you hook a trailer to them. They're less reliable. And they're hard to work on for a shadetree mechanic if you get out of warranty. I've had the misfortune of doing a timing job on the 3.5L version of the EcoBust and I would NEVER have one in my driveway.

Panterasr9 and DC-93 like this.
  9. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, “messed up” isn’t probably the best choice of words. They’ve definitely had issues with it, and also the new Aviator...though from what I can tell they’ve gotten those issues ironed out. They admitted the problems...which is saying a lot for Ford...and it sounds like they worked hard to fix it for the customers. Vehicles are always going to have issues, however from a customer standpoint it’s important that the manufacturer take responsibility and remedy the issues.

I liked the way it looked in pics before I saw one in person. After seeing a new Explorer in the wild, I didn’t like it nearly as much. My wife and I definitely like the Durango better. Aviator though....now that’s a different situation all together. :)

page2171 likes this.
  10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

God, that's gotta be a real jab in [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] for ford. Getting beat by an antique. This can be a lesson for all makers. You don't have to do all new all the time. Improve, update and change the scenery every few years, and the profits are better in the long term. Something American companies have a hard time with. Congrats FCA.

#10 Adventurer55, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  11. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

I have always been one that questioned why platforms/architectures needed to be wholesale changed.

Explorer I get, switching from FWD to RWD. I think they did a great job with it. I have a feeling if they make an RS it would take down a normal SRT Durango performance-wise, in everything but towing.

However, Durango SRT to me is a nearly perfect vehicle. Let's look at some of the deficiencies and what it would take to solve:

Fuel economy. Could be improved pretty easily with eTorque, in that the Achille's Heel for the D is city/stop and go. Obviously eTorque would present other issues with an SRT. Improving city from 13 to even 15 would be massive. Highway is actually not much different than R/T, mostly attributable to the 3.70 axle ratio. I almost think with similar gearing the SRT might outperform the R/T in highway mileage.

Weight. This is a tough one. It is one of the heaviest vehicles you can find in its class. Dodge has done a great job making it feel nimble enough, though. Without a major changes it ain't getting lighter.

Power/Drivetrain: SRT does not have an issue here, but I think the 3.6 and 5.7 need power boosts. If you got the 5.7 to ram numbers, and replaced the 3.6 witha turbo engine with low end torque that would solve it. 2.0 makes sense but that will be a hard sell tbh. The rest of the drivetrain is fantastic.

Interior: The front seat area is great, and was made even better with the 2021 updates. No chnges needed there. Middle row Captains chairs have one big problem, they don't slide, if they did they would be perfect. So that just requires some creative engineering, but not really a platform/architecture change. Not sure if the middle bench is a slide or not. If not it needs to be. Third row would be nice to be 3 seat capable. That means widening the back. Thats probably a new platform. Cargo space would likely be improved with the widening. I would just take a cue from others and make sure it is wide enough for a 4ft wide board.

Adventurer55 likes this.
  12. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

The Michigan and LASD 2021 evaluations should be very interesting, particularly with the Rango now sharing the Charger's Pursuit goodies.

If the aftermarket can restrain themselves from making their new police floor consoles too wide, the big Dodge will smoke the Exploder in everything but top speed (which the Charger will easily take care of).

Hey Car and Driver, how's about an updated Oinker Class for the '21 Lightning Lap ???

13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to say this, the police business is been a very hard nut to crack for FCA. Yes they sell some Chargers and undoubtedly will sell a few Durangos. But Ford is hard to displace because of their ability and loyalty to meet what the police need. They are where Chrysler used to be until 89 when the M-bodies were discontinued. But little by little they're chipping away at Ford.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

In business it’s not always the best product that wins. It’s more often than not a “good enough” product at the right price along with the support service. Ford has obviously been able to do that for some time now, as they as recently as 2018 held 63% of law enforcement vehicle sales according to a report from ABC news IIRC. But that included the Taurus which is now extinct I believe. I think they raised the price for their police package with the new Explorer so I think that will be a factor too. And the production/quality issues didn’t help them either, but let’s face it, FCA products aren’t stellar in that regard either.

At the end of the day, I’d like to see law enforcement using the best vehicle for their needs, regardless of brand.

Doug D, tlc and Adventurer55 like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The more relevant comparison would have been Explorer ST vs. Durango R/T.

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Too many quality and reliability issues in the recent past are still haunting Charger in the police business.

Zagnut27 and Adventurer55 like this.
  17. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Eh not really, the st can go either way in terms of power. The st is about .085hp/lb, srt is .086hp/lb, and the r/t is .07hp/lb. Same thing with price too, the st slots right between the two

18. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

From a mechanics perspective Hemi all day. That EcoBoost is great marketing I will give it that but in reality gets no better mileage and way less reliability. Not to mention extremely difficult to work on.

19. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

I saw a blacked out police Durango they look really really cool.