AF: Beautiful Eagle Premier for sale on Hemmings | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beautiful Eagle Premier for sale on Hemmings

Discussion in 'AMC, Eagle, Hudson, Kaiser, Nash, Willys' started by Fast Eddie, May 6, 2019.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

2. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

And, with this, we must review some long-lost Chrysler lineage:

Contrary to SO many internet geniuses, today's hotrod Dodges are NOT Mercedes-derived. The sharing of Mercedes ideas for the early LX cars came well into the engineering process.

Here, from the very beginning through today, is the Chrysler Large Car timeline:

Prior to the Renault 29, which preceded the Premier/Monaco, Chrysler's large cars were the RWD AM body, which was discontinued in mid-1989, and the smaller AC/AD Klunkers, which were FWD. Concurrently, from 1988, the Premier and Monaco were introduced to help make up the significant loss of large car sales.

In 1993, based on the 29/Premier/Monaco, the new "LH" cars appeared, produced through mid - 2004.

In July of 2004, the new LH -based RWD/AWD 300/Magnum LX cars first appeared.

In 2006, the LX Charger came along, and in 2008, the LC Challenger.

In 2011, the LX - based 300/LD Charger, appeared.

Reskinned LX 300 and LD Charger sedans, and the new LA Challenger arrived in 2015.

wtxiceman likes this.
  3. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

I always liked the "lines" of the Premier...sleek, and low to the ground; but my goodness that interior is awful. :eek:

DC-93 and saltydog like this.
  4. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

While I was working for AMC, I saw the sawed off looking Premier mule cars.
    That was one of the reasons I left the company!!
    So, I went to Highland Park Engineering in 1985.
    Hell, two years later Chrysler buys AMC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!

Dave Z and valiant67 like this.
  5. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I test-drove a Premier back when they were new ... and that was along with a Medallion ( R21? as I recall ) . I preferred the Medallion I tested - which was a Wagon. The Medallion had a strong 2-Litre engine. I preferred the Medallion, partly because that was a time when I was playing drums ( and hauling drums ) in local bands; so the obvious caveat applied . The Premier was a sedan - as seen in FastEddie's link above - versus the Medallion wagon. I thought both were pretty stout packages, but was a tad more positively surprised by how the 2-Litre performed. Taking vehicle weight into consideration, the Medallion edged the Premier by a slim margin. I didn't like the delivered Premier drive-train tuning - a bit too European for my taste ... but a nice car overall.

6. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I hear ya ...

Crushed Velour had a limited shelf-life.

Boxy hard plastic for a Dash and control surfaces wasn't the best choice.

AmbassadorSST likes this.
  7. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Wow, you don't see these often. I always thought they were good looking cars for the time.

8. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

I read somewhere that the French derived V6 in these Premier's were prone to over heating and the tranny mated to the V6 was also problematic.

The 4 banger Premier mated to its ZF tranny was reliable.

9. AgentSkelly

AgentSkelly Member

Ah yes, the PRV Engine. Its OK in a Volvo, but it got a huge bad rap when it debuted in North America as I recall with the DeLorean with its issues like overheating and underpowered alternator. My understanding is from Volvo community is that the PRV engine is a V8 with two cylinders chopped off so its by design quirky.

The AMC old timers I've met in my travels said that they suggested to the Renault side to put in other V6 engines, but Renault insisted on the PRV as they had the Volvo plant in Nova Scotia already making the engine.

10. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Right, the PRV is a 90 deg V6, perfect for a V8

Engineering and smoothness wise V6's should be 60deg

Buick 3.8, Chrysler 3.9, Chevy 4.3 were all 90 deg V6's crafted from V8's

Oddly, the Ford 3.8/3.9/4.2 90 deg V6's were a direct copy of the Buick V6

Ford decided to copy Buicks proven 90deg V6 rather than shortening their own V8

Thanks
    Randy